Thread: DNS secure only

Engineer senior 100+ Posts giogi's Avatar

DNS secure only

Can you help me?
    I don’t understand much in this matter.
    A client of mine is about to make a change that will also impact the Canon printers, and he asks me:
    Registration on our DNS servers in dynamic mode should be done with the “Secure Only” option enabled.
    This means that DNS servers will only accept registration requests from“domain member”machines.
    So I ask you if your printers/multifunctions in our environments are able to become domain members and if so what settings should be made.
    "Knowledge is a source, but unfortunately ignorance is a sea."

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: DNS secure only

Quote Originally Posted by giogi View Post
    Can you help me?
    I don’t understand much in this matter.
    A client of mine is about to make a change that will also impact the Canon printers, and he asks me:
    Registration on our DNS servers in dynamic mode should be done with the “Secure Only” option enabled.
    This means that DNS servers will only accept registration requests from“domain member”machines.
    So I ask you if your printers/multifunctions in our environments are able to become domain members and if so what settings should be made.
    I'm guessing you have a specific DNS IP address you have to put in the canon and then most likely the IT Administrator will need the MAC ID of the canon so that an IP address can be specifically paired with the MAC ID on the Canon and pushed from the server out to the Canon via DHCP. This method limits how many devices are securely allowed on the network. Just ask lots of questions to IT admin on how the want it implemented. The only stupid question is the one that's not asked!!! Good Luck!DNS secure onlyDNS secure only

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: DNS secure only

All the domain admin needs to do is create a static DNS record for the MFP's (a Host record). We do secure DNS for our internal AD and for any device that can't be bound to AD we just manually create the record.