Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

USB stick issues???

Hey guys... trying to load F/W onto my bizhubs in my shop and some of the newer USB sticks won't allow the machines to boot into f/w update mode...??? They'll load F/W just fine if I use some of the older sticks I have, so what's the secret (if there is one) to making the newer USB sticks "bootable"? I read a few articles that seem to know what this is, but can't seem to get a straight answer? Instead of going into F/W update mode, the machine boots up as normal, which it doesn't do with the older sticks...
    Thanks in advance!
    OC

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Re: USB stick issues???

Quote Originally Posted by Oystercopy View Post
    Hey guys... trying to load F/W onto my bizhubs in my shop and some of the newer USB sticks won't allow the machines to boot into f/w update mode...??? They'll load F/W just fine if I use some of the older sticks I have, so what's the secret (if there is one) to making the newer USB sticks "bootable"? I read a few articles that seem to know what this is, but can't seem to get a straight answer? Instead of going into F/W update mode, the machine boots up as normal, which it doesn't do with the older sticks...
    Thanks in advance!
    OC
    see my reply in your other thread on this issue.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

As Phil mentioned in his reply to your thread in Konica Minolta, device size can be a problem. Another problem is introduced by the fact that most USB flash drives currently available are 12GB or larger. This often means that you are forced to constantly reuse older devices. This eventually leads to degradation and ultimately failure of the device. If you cannot find any new devices in the 1 to 2 GB size you may want to try partitioning a larger device down to where you can use it. There are software that can do that for you. The one I have used is MiniTool Partition Wizard free version.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    As Phil mentioned in his reply to your thread in Konica Minolta, device size can be a problem. Another problem is introduced by the fact that most USB flash drives currently available are 12GB or larger. This often means that you are forced to constantly reuse older devices. This eventually leads to degradation and ultimately failure of the device. If you cannot find any new devices in the 1 to 2 GB size you may want to try partitioning a larger device down to where you can use it. There are software that can do that for you. The one I have used is MiniTool Partition Wizard free version.
    great tip.. win partition never was stable for me.. Minitool.. have to check that out!

you da Man Slim!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Thanks in advance!
    OC
    This has been addressed a few times on this forum. See attached bulletin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    This has been addressed a few times on this forum. See attached bulletin
    Sounds similar to the Panasonic SD card format utility Ricoh recommended to use when formatting SD cards.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Interesting. Wonder if that would work for a 8Gb SD Card on older Ricoh machines... Anyone?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Interesting. Wonder if that would work for a 8Gb SD Card on older Ricoh machines... Anyone?
    Yes. I have even used it on 16G.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

Thanks in advance!
    OC
    I've only ever used cheap 2GB USB 1.0 usb pens never once had an issue & I always format them in Windows first before adding the FW.

Most likely your new sticks are USB 3.0 look on the end are they blue?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    USB stick issues???

They're brand new 1gb sticks, but they're not blue on the end. Standard metal swivel, all black.
    OC