Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Install

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Re: Remote Install

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post

TeamViewer secretly tracks the usage from your computer. When you hit 800 minutes, you are no longer eligible for free usage.
    That's good to know since I wasn't aware of that limitation, although I can't find any confirmation of this limitation in a brief online search. Is this info publicly available or widely known?

I only use TeamViewer to help my mom whenever she has PC issues and have been using it for many years. My guess is I'll never get up to 800 minutes since most of our sessions are just a few minutes for me to figure out/fix her issue.
    Last edited by srvctec; 04-20-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Remote Install

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    That's good to know since I wasn't aware of that limitation, although I can't find any confirmation of this limitation in a brief online search. Is this info publicly available or widely known?
    This is a well-known limitation for those who use Teamviewer free version. Just Google "Teamviewer 5 minute limit" if you're interested.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Remote install we use TeamViewer.
    We can remote into Point Of Sales (POS) cash register systems an program the system directly.
    The POS is linux OS. We normaly do this via Windows Operating system an TeamViewer.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

We use a licensed Teamview and our customers can download a personalized client (in real its a standalone server) with our companylogo on it from our website.
    Sometimes the customer has a newer Vers. and we cant log in.
    Then the download helps a lot.
    The customer need no installation, he can start the software directly and after use,
    there is no service running until he start it again and a new password is then automaticaly generated.
    Most IT responsible like it, there is no hidden access for me.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diedux View Post
    This is a well-known limitation for those who use Teamviewer free version. Just Google "Teamviewer 5 minute limit" if you're interested.
    I found plenty on the 5 minute limit which has never caused an issue with me helping Mom and I think I've had lots of sessions over 5 minutes on the free. What I didn't find any info at all on is the 800 minute limit I quoted, but thanks for the info.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I found plenty on the 5 minute limit which has never caused an issue with me helping Mom and I think I've had lots of sessions over 5 minutes on the free. What I didn't find any info at all on is the 800 minute limit I quoted, but thanks for the info.
    Yeah also searched the net about half an hour for this but failed to find any info related to 800 minutes overall usage time limit?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Remote Install

This is all news to me.
    While, I'm not an overly heavy user of Teamviewer, I find it to be an excellent tool, and I've been using the Free version for 7 or 8 years primarily to log in to my own PC when I'm on the road or on vacation, but I also use it once or twice a month to do remote sessions and sort out issues with clients.
    I've far exceeded 800 minutes, and I've also never had an issue with session lengths. In fact, I just finished one that was at least 15

Is it possible this is something that's been grand-fathered in and doesn't apply to older accounts?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Remote Install

I found out when I reached the 800 minute letter on my laptop. I got a couple of warnings first.

I can only guess that TeamViewer is somehow tracking the MAC address of your device. When you hit 800 minutes you automatically become a commercial user and in my case have to pay $500.00 to continue.

To be honest, I saved the $500.00 after about two weeks into my new license in not having the expense or time lost in travel.

Customers more or less expect remote service whenever possible today.

Why wait a day for a tech to show up,when the job can be done same day in minutes?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I found out when I reached the 800 minute letter on my laptop. I got a couple of warnings first.

I can only guess that TeamViewer is somehow tracking the MAC address of your device. When you hit 800 minutes you automatically become a commercial user and in my case have to pay $500.00 to continue.

To be honest, I saved the $500.00 after about two weeks into my new license in not having the expense or time lost in travel.

Customers more or less expect remote service whenever possible today.

Why wait a day for a tech to show up,when the job can be done same day in minutes?
    Are you insisting on that tech will choose to waste his own and customers time just to show up at customer's office to fix a things that tech KNOW can be fixed easy remotely?
    Can you fix with TV simple paper jam due worn parts?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Remote Install

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Are you insisting on that tech will choose to waste his own and customers time just to show up at customer's office to fix a things that tech KNOW can be fixed easy remotely?
    Can you fix with TV simple paper jam due worn parts?
    Many issues on copiers involve configuring a print driver or the web browser such as scan to email stopped working. Often no need to be onsite if the first remote attempt succeeds.