Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Printing direct from Laptop via ethernet cable

Re: Printing direct from Laptop via ethernet cable

Thanks for the input fellas!

First of all, For those that aren't aware, I'm not at all full on IT person at all, but I'm pretty good at connecting devices, and do most of the setups for my clients. However a lot of the IT lingo does make my head hurt, so I often need it dumbed down so I understand .

So I'm about to give my update in my dumbed down lingo....
    I just got in from calls and sat down to have another go at this. I had a couple of ideas come to me in my sleep last night.
    I run Nord VPN, on both of the laptops that are giving me issues - and I have for over a year now, and never had it cause a conflict like this - at least for directly connected printing.

Anyway Nord VPN (and I assume all/ most VPN Services) creates it's own network adapter (if that's the right term?), so today I decided to disable the service and see what happened.
    BOOM! I can connect directly to my printer(s) again, so it obviously has something to do with a recent update to my VPN that's causing the conflict, so I'll have to sort that out, or just disable it when I want to connect without a network.
    I appreciate the advice in the meantime, and maybe someone will stumble along this thread in the future and save themselves some grief.

Stay Safe all!
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 04-30-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Thanks for the update. Maybe you just should just disable TAP network adapter(Nord VPN) prior when do direct connections to machine.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Printing direct from Laptop via ethernet cable

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Thanks for the update. Maybe you just should just disable TAP network adapter(Nord VPN) prior when do direct connections to machine.
    I just disabled auto startup.
    I'll turn it on if/when I feel I need it, which is pretty rare for how I use this particular laptop anyway

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I just disabled auto startup.
    I'll turn it on if/when I feel I need it, which is pretty rare for how I use this particular laptop anyway
    O yeah, just have a nap or sleep well and bam problem solved...mind need some time sometimes but works as a rule.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I assume you have NordVPN software and you're not using hardware VPN...

In settings:

Set NordVPN to "not connect to trusted network".
    Nord will ignore your local network connection an bypass the TAP adapter. NordVPN will continue to load on startup as normal...

Alternatively you can turn off "Always connected", and manually connect to VPN world servers.

HTH..
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••