Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Re: Access less secure Gmail apps

This will be a big problem
    I usually always set "Allow less secure apps" to make sure it works. But in the latest printers how will we proceed? It seems to me that even on new printers you have to activate "allow less secure apps". Any ideas on configuration without turning off that option?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Access less secure Gmail apps

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    This will be a big problem
    I usually always set "Allow less secure apps" to make sure it works. But in the latest printers how will we proceed? It seems to me that even on new printers you have to activate "allow less secure apps". Any ideas on configuration without turning off that option?
    You will have to use App Password for each device (un-secure client) instead of letting less secure apps to connect to Google services by default.
    Generate App password and use it on your MFD. SMTP authentication wil be yourgmailaccount@gmail.com/gene rated pass word.

I've done it for my Outlook but same goes for MFD's.
    G_1.JPG

Then add custom App:
    G_2.JPGG_3.JPG

Use that app password on MFD:

G_4.JPG
    Edit:
    More info here:
    Sign in using App Passwords - Google Account Help

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diedux View Post
    You will have to use App Password for each device (un-secure client) instead of letting less secure apps to connect to Google services by default.
    Generate App password and use it on your MFD. SMTP authentication wil be yourgmailaccount@gmail.com/gene rated pass word.

I've done it for my Outlook but same goes for MFD's.
    G_1.JPG

Then add custom App:
    G_2.JPGG_3.JPG

Use that app password on MFD:

G_4.JPG
    Edit:
    More info here:
    Sign in using App Passwords - Google Account Help
    Interesting reading. Thanks.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Interesting reading. Thanks.
    Agreed and I never thought of using this option for MFP's. I had to do this very thing a few weeks ago when my IP camera at home quit sending me motion detect notifications through my Gmail.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The only change I can see in Google's support article for setting up MFPs and other scan to email devices is that SMTP relay service is only available for G Suite editions. If your customer does not have G-Suite they no longer can use the relay service. The other option is to setup a local relay using Stunnel or a similar software.
    Send email from a printer, scanner, or app - G Suite Admin Help

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    I recommend that you start using a service like SMTP2go I'd also then recommend changing the customer a scanning fee of $ 5 a month.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    The problem with SMPT2go is that too many spammers use it. When other email providers get more than a set number of spam reports coming from a single SMTP source, they block all emails from that source. It can take 2 to 32 weeks for that block to be removed.

Charging a scanning fee to customers? You must enjoy losing customers.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I recommend that you start using a service like SMTP2go I'd also then recommend changing the customer a scanning fee of $ 5 a month.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    The big companies are all trying to come up with a way to charge for scans.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The problem with SMPT2go is that too many spammers use it. When other email providers get more than a set number of spam reports coming from a single SMTP source, they block all emails from that source. It can take 2 to 32 weeks for that block to be removed.

Charging a scanning fee to customers? You must enjoy losing customers.

Charging for a service is what we do, the big company's are already billing a monthly scanning fee for wear to feed rollers and we all noticed that click rates are dropping volumes declining. customers would be paying for a email account for the machine anyway. this way they just pay for a product that works that you control and know how it works.

I'm not loosing customers, and if I was did I want them?

We've never had issues with smtp2go spam issues. but have mine configured correctly. knowing how many IP-address they have I'm surprised you've had issues.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

We've never had issues with smtp2go spam issues. but have mine configured correctly. knowing how many IP-address they have I'm surprised you've had issues.
    I have never had a problem with SMTP2go because I have never had to use it. Others here on CTN have reported the problem in the past. I have always been able to get Gmail to work. The only exception has been with customers that had AT&T Uverse as their ISP and using the Motorola NVG510 modem. The Modem block all SMTP requests from devices that were not computers to SMTP servers that were not used by AT&T.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Just weighing in with my 2¢ on the "App Password" thing with Gmail.
    I agree. It's the only way to get the machines I deal with (Ricoh) to function at all with Gmail. I can't speak to others, but I assume it would be the same. So it's what I've been doing for ages, rather than lowering the security which is obviously just a BAD idea.
    I would also add that if you have a client with multiple MFP's, the same APP password can be used on all of them

As for SMTP2go, I also use it quite often on legacy machines that don't support encryption. Every so often I have an issue of messages getting filtered to spam at the initial configuration, and I can usually resolve it by using a fake email address for the senders (or admin) email address like scanner@noreply.ca, rather than the actual admin email address - which is completely opposite of what one would expect .
    Once it's configured and working properly, it's extremely reliable. I've never had an issue with it.
    I will also add that SMTP2go can no longer be used with "free" email providers like Gmail, hotmail, etc, and most ISP providers, it must be configured via a clients domain email like abc@xyzcompany.com.
    I'm not sure when that actually happened, because I used to configure it without issue via Gmail, etc, and I actually have my own gmail account associated with an SMTP2go account that still works.
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 05-06-2020 at 07:15 PM.