Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Re: Access less secure Gmail apps

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Options:
    Why not forget about gmail altogether?

Every small business has an ISP. Use the small business local ISP email account for all MFD email settings.
    Ask the small business IT to create a seperate MFD private email account on their own ISP server.
    Use the private email for all MFD email send and recieving.
    I wish I could still use ISP e-mail servers here!

Here in Omaha we really only have 1 ISP as CenturyLink isn't really competition in my opinion. Cox Communications E-Mail servers seem to have WAYYYYY too many intermittent problems when used with our copiers here. Not sure why but around 7-10 years ago it went to crap: E-mails taking hours or even days to send, strange authentication errors out of the blue, random send errors scattered in between successful scans throughout the day, etc... After switching SMTP servers, problems go away! I don't even bother anymore unless the customer's IT insists on using the ISP SMTP.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Today a strange event for me. I had to do my classic daily scan. The printer tells me login error: impossible! This is an account that I use only for that printer. For security I put the password on Gmail and it worked. For security I have entered the password again.
    After a while I get the email that the account is blocked for 12 hours. Now I have created a new account and it works.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Access less secure Gmail apps

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Today a strange event for me. I had to do my classic daily scan. The printer tells me login error: impossible! This is an account that I use only for that printer. For security I put the password on Gmail and it worked. For security I have entered the password again.
    After a while I get the email that the account is blocked for 12 hours. Now I have created a new account and it works.
    Sounds like someone was trying to hack your gmail.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

I do not believe. This is an email that is only in that printer in my lab. For no apparent reason, it gave login error. If someone had changed the password, I would not have been able to log in to Gmail on my PC. I believe this is a signal that Google is trying the new protection system, that is, for third party apps the password will be different from the main password.