Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Access less secure Gmail apps

Re: Access less secure Gmail apps

I was literally starting a new thread on this! so I will post anyway!.

OK so this question has been asked a million times on this site however I have a NEW issue.

I have a mysompany@gmail.com account with around 50 machines all at different sites all scanning fine, great.

However now when I add a new printer at a new site it fails to scan.

So this is normal, I get the security email to “mysompany@gmail.com” that says click to confirm you trust this sender etc so I confirm I trust this sender as I have done 100’s of times but still these new devices refuse to scan.

I concluded that because I get the “confirm this device” email the MFD has sent the email out but Gmail have blocked it I just can’t work out why!

(Allow secure apps is on this account & has been for literally years!)

I can send & receive email via this Gmail account without any issues.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Hi, Google recently seems to have removed the "Less secure app access" option.

This is a problem for me especially with old printers (for example bizhub C364e). Scans now no longer work.

Has anyone else noticed this?

The "Allow Less Secure App" option is still there I just checked.

Less Secure Apps.jpg

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

OK so this question has been asked a million times on this site however I have a NEW issue.

I have a mysompany@gmail.com account with around 50 machines all at different sites all scanning fine, great.

So this is normal, I get the security email to “mysompany@gmail.com” that says click to confirm you trust this sender etc so I confirm I trust this sender as I have done 100’s of times but still these new devices refuse to scan.

I concluded that because I get the “confirm this device” email the MFD has sent the email out but Gmail have blocked it I just can’t work out why!

If you are using the restricted SMTP server aspmx.l.google.com, you may need to refer to the link I posted do one of the following:
    1. Add the IP address of the device or app to the email whitelist.
    2. Set up an SPF record for your domain with the IP address of the device or app so that recipients don’t reject mail sent from it.

I believe the IP address would the address of the public side of the router your device connects through.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Just weighing in with my 2˘ on the "App Password" thing with Gmail.
    I agree. It's the only way to get the machines I deal with (Ricoh) to function at all with Gmail. I can't speak to others, but I assume it would be the same. So it's what I've been doing for ages, rather than lowering the security which is obviously just a BAD idea.
    I would also add that if you have a client with multiple MFP's, the same APP password can be used on all of them

As for SMTP2go, I also use it quite often on legacy machines that don't support encryption. Every so often I have an issue of messages getting filtered to spam at the initial configuration, and I can usually resolve it by using a fake email address for the senders (or admin) email address like scanner@noreply.ca, rather than the actual admin email address - which is completely opposite of what one would expect .
    Once it's configured and working properly, it's extremely reliable. I've never had an issue with it.
    I will also add that SMTP2go can no longer be used with "free" email providers like Gmail, hotmail, etc, and most ISP providers, it must be configured via a clients domain email like abc@xyzcompany.com.
    I'm not sure when that actually happened, because I used to configure it without issue via Gmail, etc, and I actually have my own gmail account associated with an SMTP2go account that still works.

This maybe the simple answer "I would also add that if you have a client with multiple MFP's, the same APP password can be used on all of them"

Just how many emails can you send in Gmail at a time? The current Gmail email sending limit is 500 emails per 24 hours when sending from their web interface. It's important to note that this means 500 in any combination

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The "Allow Less Secure App" option is still there I just checked.

Less Secure Apps.jpg
    As soon as you configure 2-step verification - it's gone. And Yes, you can revert back to previous config.
    G_5.JPG

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Options:
    Why not forget about gmail altogether?

Every small business has an ISP. Use the small business local ISP email account for all MFD email settings.
    Ask the small business IT to create a seperate MFD private email account on their own ISP server.
    Use the private email for all MFD email send and recieving.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ˇ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Options:
    Why not forget about gmail altogether?

Every small business has an ISP. Use the small business local ISP email account for all MFD email settings.
    Ask the small business IT to create a seperate MFD private email account on their own ISP server.
    Use the private email for all MFD email send and recieving.
    While all of this is true, many of the small businesses I deal with, very often don't have an IT other than me. Their eyes glaze over when I ask about their login credentials for their ISP in order to create an email address,, and they don't have time to look for it or figure it out and just want it working, and it's just easier to use the Gmail, Hotmail, or whatever address they may have.
    However, having said that, and as I've pointed out in other similar threads, a Gmail account will log every single scan sent through it, including attachments, so privacy is zero, which is a no go for many businesses other than mom and pop type operations, unless a new one is setup and only the manager/ owner has the account credentials for it

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    While all of this is true, many of the small businesses I deal with, very often don't have an IT other than me. Their eyes glaze over when I ask about their login credentials for their ISP in order to create an email address,, and they don't have time to look for it or figure it out and just want it working, and it's just easier to use the Gmail, Hotmail, or whatever address they may have.
    However, having said that, and as I've pointed out in other similar threads, a Gmail account will log every single scan sent through it, including attachments, so privacy is zero, which is a no go for many businesses other than mom and pop type operations, unless a new one is setup and only the manager/ owner has the account credentials for it
    Yes exactly this some medium & small companies don’t have ‘in house’ IT some pay as an ‘as needed’ basis so you can imagine this can get expensive.

So to offer a ‘free’ scanning solution so gmail has proved useful.

However any new MFD that I set up using a gmail account needs the app code this needs 2 step security verification this is fine however turning this on stop any other MFP I have set up using this account to stop scanning!

So the only way I can see is to set up a new gmail account for EVERY new device that wants to scan.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

To make you understand, here in Germany there are companies that do not even have a fax. Send orders via the postman!
    Many small (and unfortunately also large) companies don't even know what an IT Manager is. So we printer technicians often have to improvise.
    In any case, congratulations on the tutorials! I will take inspiration from this thread again when Google deletes "less secure apps".