Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Two Factor Authentication

Microsoft is planning on Oct 13 2020 to change the Authentication requirements on it's Office 365 products to require two factor authentication.

Upcoming changes to Exchange Web Services (EWS) API for Office 365 - Microsoft Tech Community - 608055

I know in Gmail, two factor authentication means you log into your account with your user name and password and then Gmail can send you a text or email that you have to enter a five digit code to verify it is you.

Any idea how this will work on a scan to email from a copier?

Do any copier vendors currently support two factor authentication?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Two Factor Authentication

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Microsoft is planning on Oct 13 2020 to change the Authentication requirements on it's Office 365 products to require two factor authentication.

Upcoming changes to Exchange Web Services (EWS) API for Office 365 - Microsoft Tech Community - 608055

I know in Gmail, two factor authentication means you log into your account with your user name and password and then Gmail can send you a text or email that you have to enter a five digit code to verify it is you.

Any idea how this will work on a scan to email from a copier?

Do any copier vendors currently support two factor authentication?
    My work has already implemented 2 factor authentication for Office 365. It is only done when initially setting up or logging into the O365 portal. 2 factor authentication requires human interaction to be implemented properly. I know with gmail you can setup 2FA and then for other devices (scanning) you setup a specific password/ passcode for each device. Regarding whether MS will implement something similar, I really don't know. I would hope that they would so as to maintain a competitive edge. Two Factor Authentication

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    My work has already implemented 2 factor authentication for Office 365. It is only done when initially setting up or logging into the O365 portal. 2 factor authentication requires human interaction to be implemented properly. I know with gmail you can setup 2FA and then for other devices (scanning) you setup a specific password/ passcode for each device. Regarding whether MS will implement something similar, I really don't know. I would hope that they would so as to maintain a competitive edge. Two Factor Authentication

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    First, I learned from you Two Factor Authentication = 2FA. Thanks,

I am going to change the SMTP client on my latest version Toshiba copier to Gmail and play with 2FA for awhile and see how that goes.

Just to clarify, are you saying 2FA only has to be done once on a copier for each user account? it is not uncommon to have 20 plus email addresses in the copier's address book or LDAP look ups.

I have being using Single Sign On (SSO) to log into my O365 Exchange account via 5 digit PIN code.

Is SSO somehow going to collide with 2FA?

Then I will move onto O365 Exchange soon as market acceptance of O365 is now well over 50%.

I am hoping to get a solution and implementation to this early so that I am not chasing 100+ service calls on Oct 13 when scan to email stops working.

I suspect when this happens there are going to be some forced copier upgrades on old copier equipment which is good for me.

Xerox does offer Two Factor Authentication with its Connect Key products.

2FA can also be referred to as Multi Key Authentication.

A good Youtube video explaining 2FA.

What is Two-Factor Authentication? (2FA) - YouTube

Until today I was convinced that there was no way you could perform a Scan to Email via Gmail with 2FA turned on.

I have found a workaround within Gmail called an "App Password".

Here is a video on how to perform this task.

How To Setup Scan To Email On Canon Copier - YouTube

When you enter the 16 digit password into your SMTP client in your copiers's web browser, delete the spaces between the blocks of four letters.

Anyway, I tested it and it works. Learning every day!

A useful video from Lexmark showing how to obtain an App password for your Gmail account.

Lexmark—Configuring the e-mail SMTP settings using the Embedded Web Server - YouTube

GMail has announced they plan to force 2FA effective Feb 2021.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    A useful video from Lexmark showing how to obtain an App password for your Gmail account.

Lexmark—Configuring the e-mail SMTP settings using the Embedded Web Server - YouTube

GMail has announced they plan to force 2FA effective Feb 2021.
    Really good video. Lexmarks earned some positive after all bad I received from KM A4 rebadges.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Tested on our bizhub and it works.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Oct 13 will soon be upon us when Microsoft plans to enforce 2FA on its smtp.office365.com accounts.

A useful resource page.

How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Microsoft 365 or Office 365 | Microsoft Docs

I was working with an IT Manager today and the only way we could get smtp.office365.com to work was by subbing in the IP address of the MS Cloud server.

You can get the IP of your cloud server by doing a lookup on the MX record that Microsoft assigns you when you setup the domain on the cloud.

Is it possible to defeat 2FA by "simm-jacking"?

The mobile phone fraud scam has jumped up in popularity over the past couple of years, and there's very little to stop you from becoming a victim.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3kx4ej/sim-jacking-mobile-phone-fraud

This relatively new crime is known as "SIM-jacking", and works like this: perpetrators obtain important details about their victims either by scouring social media or conning them into divulging personal information. Using these details, they pose as their victims, convince network providers to transfer their numbers to new SIM cards and post out those SIMs. Once the swap is complete, messages containing codes for those two-factor authentication systems we now all have can be intercepted, and fraudsters can hop into your email, social media or mobile banking accounts.

SIM-jacking differs from other forms of hacking in that it doesn't require any technical know-how; all you need is a conman's skills of persuasion and a basic grasp of identity-theft. This is perhaps why it's growing at such a rapid rate, with incidents jumping 60 percent between 2016 and 2018.

"One of the reasons SIM-swap attacks are so effective is that many mobile phone carrier representatives are easy to socially engineer," explained a former black hat hacker, who dabbled in SIM swaps before going straight and becoming a white hat hacker. "An attacker can call your phone provider, pretend to be you and spin some story to get the support agent to transfer your number to a SIM. If he runs into any friction, he can hang up and try again with another agent."

... if you receive 2FA passwords as a text message on your cell phone and someone successfully SIMM jacks your phone, 2FA is defeated.