Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Re: MSConnector Setup

Ok so minor updates for you guys. I now have a dedicated sharepoint of my own to play with in which I am the owner. Haven't actually just done a dry run quite yet but I thought I would let you know, I am in the sharepoint settings and don't actually see the entry you listed. I have poked through most of what's here and can't seem to find anything gloriously relevant. I will link to a screenshot of the settings page below, maybe I got to the wrong location? And we did actually try an app password on the original sharepoint with the result being identical. Thank you guys for throwing suggestions.

Flickr: Page Not Found

Edit> Getting the same results, on multiple sharepoint sites. I'm really at a loss here, there has to be something super dumb I'm over looking. I can't imagine many people have run into this type of issue since google spits back almost nothing even close to relevant.

Edit> After a little more digging it looks like information rights management is one of the only things I don't have access to as a site owner, I will have to have the sharepoint owner check that monday. Unfortunately he took an early day today.
    Last edited by M94; 08-22-2020 at 12:20 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Alright guys so I was able to take a look at the information rights section with my boss, and it is disabled. From the looks of what that setting entails I don't think we want to enable it either. I am really at a loss as far as what would be giving us an incorrect login popup AFTER it clearly authenticated and let me in. I can clearly create folders and scan to anywhere on the sharepoint, I just can't print from it. This really doesn't feel like it should be so stubborn, any more thoughts? I'm going to be trying to google it pretty extensively today but it just doesn't look like anyone is having problems with this type of setup so idk what I'm doing wrong here.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Re: MSConnector Setup [SOLVED]

Alright so even though it doesn't make a ton of sense in my head I did figure out the issue. The printer also had local authentication setup and somehow this was preventing the print job. I'm still not 100% sure why though. Scanning should have been under that same authentication blanket but was working. On top of that being logged in as the Admin should have sufficed but it didn't. You would think that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use sharepoint with a machine that has local authentication setup but if you can I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Long story short after completely disabling local authentication it started working flawlessly.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Alright so even though it doesn't make a ton of sense in my head I did figure out the issue. The printer also had local authentication setup and somehow this was preventing the print job. I'm still not 100% sure why though. Scanning should have been under that same authentication blanket but was working. On top of that being logged in as the Admin should have sufficed but it didn't. You would think that there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use sharepoint with a machine that has local authentication setup but if you can I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Long story short after completely disabling local authentication it started working flawlessly.
    As a long time Ricoh tech it makes perfect sense to me. Each machine function ( copy, print, scan and fax ) can be configured as to whether that function will require authentication. Then each User login can be set as to which restricted functions that user can access.

As for being logged as Admin you have full rights to administer portions of the machine. With Ricoh you can actually set four Administrators; Machine, Network, Security and User. Each with its own name and password. An administrator has no rights to operate the machine, only to administrator

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    As a long time Ricoh tech it makes perfect sense to me. Each machine function ( copy, print, scan and fax ) can be configured as to whether that function will require authentication. Then each User login can be set as to which restricted functions that user can access.

As for being logged as Admin you have full rights to administer portions of the machine. With Ricoh you can actually set four Administrators; Machine, Network, Security and User. Each with its own name and password. An administrator has no rights to operate the machine, only to administrator
    Thanks for the insight, I was using the 'Admin' and 'Device Admin' accounts although I'm fairly sure they had most if not all the same printing rights as other random users. Now that you say it though that does at least kind of justify it in my head better. I do intend to play with it some more later and maybe I'll be able to figure out more specifically what it doesn't like about it. I will update this thread with results if I discover anything useful.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Thanks for the insight, I was using the 'Admin' and 'Device Admin' accounts although I'm fairly sure they had most if not all the same printing rights as other random users. Now that you say it though that does at least kind of justify it in my head better. I do intend to play with it some more later and maybe I'll be able to figure out more specifically what it doesn't like about it. I will update this thread with results if I discover anything useful.
    Setup a user account for service use. Let the customer know so that they do not delete it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Luckily this printer is my personal training tinker toy, so no customer to annoy with this stuff. I'm just playing with it to make sure I know the ins and outs of the various involved setups. Now that I know where the issue is I'm sure I can isolate it and will post back specifics. Probably at the end of the week.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Alright guys I got it, on the machine you need to go into the user\job accounting settings. Then there is a setting for 'Unknown job ID' which needs changed from reject to permit. After that it seems to be working fine. On a side note the machine also seems to be fine with it if access lock gets installed, even before actually setting it up. AL seems to also then be handling the local authentication and allows the print to go through regardless. Hopefully all this helps someone in the future.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Must be a time limit on edits otherwise I would have just added to my last post. Just wanted to mention that Access Lock does not get past the problem, it just auto enables that setting. So it's not really a good solution, just means that the printer will accept any unknown jobs. Which isn't really what I was trying to do but it doesn't appear to be possible to have the printer locked down to local accounts and simultaneously use MSConnect for sharepoint. Sometime this week I'm going to be playing with active directory setups so hopefully there is a solution there that can be implemented that will have the effect I'm seeking.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MSConnector Setup

Must be a time limit on edits otherwise I would have just added to my last post.
    I think it is 24 hours or less. Durng that time you can edit or delete.