Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

usb wi-fi output router

This a kind of different subject but I am unable to find anything that matches. Maybe I am using the wrong terms on the search engines. But here goes. I am looking for a wi-fi router that has as it;s input a usb port instead of the usual cat-5 connector. I have cable internet and the service had as part of it a wi-fi router that three different towers did not work. For some reason when I disconnect the cat five cable from my desktop any other network device needs a used name and password that is not what my account id uses. So I was looking for the possible wi-fi router to connect to my desktop and have that as my in home wi-fi for the laptop which does not connect to the network modem. Yes I have spent a few hours on the phone with the internet tech support over this and decided to try a different method like the usb -wi-fi router, May be a lost cause. But the weird thing is I took my laptop to my sisters house about an hours drive away and plugged right in to their network. And went to visit the neighbor where of course it plugged in and worked fine. Now I can use the neighbors wi-fi but it is incredibly slow like less than one meg download. All I want to do is find a way to update the software and os on the laptop. I use it only when visiting and do not want to take a compromised pc and hook it into another network and have the laptop be the viral maleware source for their networks.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: usb wi-fi output router

Any wired/wireless router that you use will create its own network (LAN) even if not plugged up to the internet (WAN) and give out IP Addresses... almost sounds like you are trying to make an adhoc network from device to device minus the router. If connecting device to device, IP Addresses have to be manually assigned. Let me know if I'm on the right track!!!usb wi-fi output router

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Buy another router

Why would you think it's infected

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Any wired/wireless router that you use will create its own network (LAN) even if not plugged up to the internet (WAN) and give out IP Addresses... almost sounds like you are trying to make an adhoc network from device to device minus the router. If connecting device to device, IP Addresses have to be manually assigned. Let me know if I'm on the right track!!!usb wi-fi output router

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    I have used three other routers . All provided by the cable internet company. As soon as the output from the modem is plugged in to them they went dead. I spent several hours on the phone with their tech support and did everything they said to do and as soon as the cat-5 cable was taken out of the desktop and plugged into any other router or even my laptop network port the internet went bye-bye. The modem lights were fine and said "online" but nothing at the laptop. Plugged the cable back into the desktop and everything worked fine with the desktop. I did a search to see if there was a usb wi-fi router to avoid going back and getting another one of the cable company's failures again. Their office is twenty-five miles away and they will not deliver. And if they send a tech out it will be a service charge. One of the problems with getting the "low-cost internet " package. I may see if I can find, instead of a router, a network switch box and see if I can get that to work. Had a lot of customers that used switches instead of routers to run multiple desktops with a server and connected to one of our networked copier/printers. Would be weird if I could actually put a spare network card into the desktop and run a sub network that way. Input on the motherboard network connection and output from the card.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Buy another router

Why would you think it's infected
    I did not say it was infected but I cannot update the anti-virus software right now so I do not want to put a machine on soemone elses network that is vulnerable to any bots searching for weakly protected pc's

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    usb wi-fi output router

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    This a kind of different subject but I am unable to find anything that matches. Maybe I am using the wrong terms on the search engines. But here goes. I am looking for a wi-fi router that has as it;s input a usb port instead of the usual cat-5 connector. I have cable internet and the service had as part of it a wi-fi router that three different towers did not work. For some reason when I disconnect the cat five cable from my desktop any other network device needs a used name and password that is not what my account id uses. So I was looking for the possible wi-fi router to connect to my desktop and have that as my in home wi-fi for the laptop which does not connect to the network modem. Yes I have spent a few hours on the phone with the internet tech support over this and decided to try a different method like the usb -wi-fi router, May be a lost cause. But the weird thing is I took my laptop to my sisters house about an hours drive away and plugged right in to their network. And went to visit the neighbor where of course it plugged in and worked fine. Now I can use the neighbors wi-fi but it is incredibly slow like less than one meg download. All I want to do is find a way to update the software and os on the laptop. I use it only when visiting and do not want to take a compromised pc and hook it into another network and have the laptop be the viral maleware source for their networks.
    I'm struggling to understand your issue here.

Basically you can't connect to your home router via WIFI or LAN is this correct?

Routers with USB ports don't exist because what use would that serve.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

3 Router dead?

You do know you have to setup the router once it's plugged in?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    usb wi-fi output router

usb is not networking, although some routers have a single usb port it is designed for say a hard drive to be shared.

edit - powered hard drive
    Last edited by skynet; 08-30-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I know that Linksys routers have a feature called “ReadyShare”, to plug in a USB jump drive and use it as a Windows shared drive. I’m not sure if they recommend or support hard drives, as I would think the current draw may be too high for USB.

Some also have a USB port to plug in a printer, so as to use the router as a print server in the event the printer doesn’t have a network port (rare these days).

I once connected my old HP LaserJet 6 that way, and used a USB to high-density parallel adapter. It was a lot cheaper than adding the JetDirect card.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    usb wi-fi output router

What you need to do is check the IP address pf your computer. There two types of IP addresses - private and Public. There three types of Private address ranges; Class A 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255, Class B 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 and Class C 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255. IF your computer has a private address and the DHCP in the cable modem is providing is providing a wide enough address range, you can set your computer up as a WiFi hot point. Any standard USB WiFi adapter can be used.

If you have a public address you will not be able to share your connection through a USB adapter unless your computer can provide DHCP and NAT to the USB adapter. That usually means Windows Server of some type. There is another option. Some cable companies when they only have one cat-5 connector on the cable modem key that connection to the MAC of the computer that is initially connected to it and will not connect to any other device. If that is the case, get any standard router with WiFi AP. Most new routers come with a CD for configuring the router. Use it. Use the CAT5 cable currently connecting your computer to the cable modem to connect the router to the cable modem. Use a new CAT5 cable to connect your computer to the router and configure it to clone your MAC. If the cable company also gave you a user name and password there is a place to program that in the router as well.