Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: usb wi-fi output router

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It is what I had to do for the first cable modem I had. Back then you had to order the service and purchase the modem from a local electronics store. It came with instructions on how to set it up.

I did think of that too. But my home phone is also part of the cable service and uses the modem also. Nice inexpensive phone service with unlimited long distance. that comes in handy since most of my family live out in the country and out of local calling area. I might see if I can add a cable splitter and then hook up a second modem for the laptop and get it to work that way.
    Last edited by gneebore; 08-30-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gneebore View Post
    I did think of that too. But my home phone is also part of the cable service and uses the modem also. Nice inexpensive phone service with unlimited long distance. that comes in handy since most of my family live out in the country and out of local calling area. I might see if I can add a cable splitter and then hook up a second modem for the laptop and get it to work that way.
    Sounds like your cable modem has "bonded" to the MAC ID of the desktop, in which case you will need to get the MAC ID of your desktop and put it in the router so when you hook up the router to the modem it will look "AS IF" the desktop was hooked up to the modem and it will appear as such to the modem.

Explained Here:

Cloning your MAC address
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    usb wi-fi output router

That is what I got a few years ago when it became available. Depending om how old your modem it may need to be replaced. A couple of moths ago the internet connection started playing yo yo. It came up. It went down. Repeat. I called them on my mobile phone as the as the VOIP home phone didn't work if the modem was down. She ran some checks over the internet and then sent a service tech out. He got there in less than an hour, came in, glanced at the modem and went out to his truck and got a new modem. He said that since the first of the year they had been replacing the type modem I had whether working or not since they were experienced a high failure rate both with the modem itself and the battery in the modem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

That is what I got a few years ago when it became available. Depending om how old your modem it may need to be replaced. A couple of moths ago the internet connection started playing yo yo. It came up. It went down. Repeat. I called them on my mobile phone as the as the VOIP home phone didn't work if the modem was down. She ran some checks over the internet and then sent a service tech out. He got there in less than an hour, came in, glanced at the modem and went out to his truck and got a new modem. He said that since the first of the year they had been replacing the type modem I had whether working or not since they were experienced a high failure rate both with the modem itself and the battery in the modem.
    Modem is brand new so no problem there, I did call tech support again and found out that part of the problem is the new security setup to protect the user information. I guess there have been a few scammers calling and asking for passwords to the modem since there is a :virus on your computer infecting our network" Yes I did get those for a while way back when. Even worse they did have my correct name and an old dial up email address that was actually correct. I found out that I may be able to get a private aftermarket router and set up a small network here with that. I have to turn the modem off for two minutes and then turn it on and then plug the network cable into the router internet port for the modem to recognize and set it as the default mac address. With the two pc's then plugged in and getting their addresses from the router. Or I just may say the heck with it and turn the modem off/on and plug the pc I want to use on the internet for a short while then do the same to reconnect the other one.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    usb wi-fi output router

Modem is brand new so no problem there, I did call tech support again and found out that part of the problem is the new security setup to protect the user information. I guess there have been a few scammers calling and asking for passwords to the modem since there is a :virus on your computer infecting our network" Yes I did get those for a while way back when. Even worse they did have my correct name and an old dial up email address that was actually correct. I found out that I may be able to get a private aftermarket router and set up a small network here with that. I have to turn the modem off for two minutes and then turn it on and then plug the network cable into the router internet port for the modem to recognize and set it as the default mac address. With the two pc's then plugged in and getting their addresses from the router. Or I just may say the heck with it and turn the modem off/on and plug the pc I want to use on the internet for a short while then do the same to reconnect the other one.
    I would go with the router. Everyone makes them so competition is high and prices are low. Most also include a WiFi access point.

I would go with the router. Everyone makes them so competition is high and prices are low. Most also include a WiFi access point.

Page one of this thread try and keep up

I have used three other routers .