Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Built in remote access with Windows 10

Hi folks, not sure if anyone is aware but for the last couple of years I have been using whats called Quick Assist to access customer's PC's remotely whether its to reinstall drivers after a Windows update or troubleshoot scanning to email. As long as they have Windows 10 (which is in most cases especially since Microsoft ended support for Windows 7) they have a built in remote access tool so no downloading is required! Just tell them to open up their start menu, navigate to the Windows Accessories folder and there should be a program called Quick Assist. On the customers end all they need to do is open it up. On your end you log in to your Microsoft account and it will give you a code which the customer then puts in on their end. Its like a very basic Teamviewer, it allows you to view their screen and control their mouse/keyboard. You can't transfer files or set up unattended access though. I figured especially given the circumstances we're all in this would be some useful info to share to limit site visits.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Built in remote access with Windows 10

I was introduced to Quick Assist recently when working with a Canadian federal gov't IT technician on a local install.

The Feds have everything locked down tight but my onsite assistance was still required.

It was easy to establish the link upon exchange of a six digit password and both parties had full control of the mouse.

Quick Assist is a free service but it only works from a Win 10 computer to a Win 10 computer. Not Apple, not Win 7.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I don't want no stinking "Microsoft Account".
    We use Anydesk.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    I don't want no stinking "Microsoft Account".
    We use Anydesk.

Hans
    We also.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Wow, didn't realize there was so much hate for Microsoft accounts lol. Our company uses O365 so its not really an inconvenience for me, beats paying a monthly fee I guess for any of the other alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    We also.
    Not HATE, call it dislike.......

Do not like their and others too, intensive data mining. Computers and electronics can operate fine without stupid accounts and BTW: Office365 will not come into my door from the beginning.

Hans

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

We also.
    Not HATE, call it dislike.......

Do not like their and others too, intensive data mining. Computers and electronics can operate fine without stupid accounts and BTW: Office365 will not come into my door from the beginning.

Hans

I was meaning AnyDesk
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

I was meaning AnyDesk
    LOL, Yes I got what you mean. No misunderstanding, just wanted to take the opportunity to ventilate my dislike about Office365 too.

I use Anydesk and occasionally Teamviewer too though the latter accuses me of non-Privat use. Don't know why ...

Hans

I use Anydesk and occasionally Teamviewer too though the latter accuses me of non-Privat use. Don't know why ...
    Thats the main reason I stumbled across Quick Assist lol, once they started sending me emails I knew I had to start looking for something else.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

LOL, Yes I got what you mean. No misunderstanding, just wanted to take the opportunity to ventilate my dislike about Office365 too.

Hans
    TeamViewer tracks your MAc address and minutes silently in the background. When you hit approx 800 minutes of use, you are no longer a non commercial user and have to pay to continue to use their service.

I pay $500.00 per year for TeamViewer covering a big territory. I save the $500.00 in travel costs saved and better customer service easily in the first two weeks of use.