Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: correlation between print driver and Scan to smb...

Quote Originally Posted by jmaister View Post
    its a bloody home office with ISP wifi POS router(real fibre, oooo) with two POS signal booster. I even put all the devices on LAN, no wifi.

its as basic as you can get.

RIGHT? its sooo simple. but it didnt want to be fixed that day but today, and let me have this "wtf" in my head before Monday...
    LOL! OMG!correlation between print driver and Scan to smb...correlation between print driver and Scan to smb...correlation between print driver and Scan to smb......might need to check that router!!! I've had an instance or two where the router put the mfp on a "public" status and the pc on a "private" status just for effin' because!!! And only when I went into the router and set the mfp to trusted private...only then did it work!!! They were on the same bloody wired subnet ffs!!!correlation between print driver and Scan to smb...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    correlation between print driver and Scan to smb...

Post Re: correlation between print driver and Scan to smb...

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Only thing i can thank of that could link the two would be a firewall.

If the outgoing print gets blocked, and I had it before the firewall could block all communication on the device IP in both directions.
    But far fetched i would think.
    I have seen it the other way around. User scans something to their computer for the first time. User does not go immediately back to computer. Protection software does not recognize the new ip address attempting to access storage drive and pops up the "Allow or Block" dialog. If the user does not respond "Allow" within the timeout period the soft automatically blocks the IP Address. Printing to that IP address is also blocked.

Technician

How was driver updated? Still no correlation between driver and SMB, but if he says "driver updated" and it was via Windows Update, check that SMB didn't get turned off during the update process. Why would it? No idea, but there have been several MS updates that did this to my clients. Beat my head against the wall until I turned the protocol back on.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calebgk View Post
    How was driver updated? Still no correlation between driver and SMB, but if he says "driver updated" and it was via Windows Update, check that SMB didn't get turned off during the update process. Why would it? No idea, but there have been several MS updates that did this to my clients. Beat my head against the wall until I turned the protocol back on.
    If SMBv1 is ON when any Windows update is installed, the update will turn it off.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

I have had a couple of situations where either a windows update or an antivirus software update turned off network discovery and file and printer sharing, which disabled scanning.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Confirming windows updates disable any legacy devices using SMB1, as well as antivirus software being updated and disabling network discovery. Also have had instances when a windows update removes OEM drivers, and installs "Generic Windows" drivers in their so called "quality experience updates", its a pain.... You are correct, print drivers have no correlation with smb scanning, two completely seperate operations/protocols. check your network discovery protocols, check if your are on private or public network, and confirm that SMB1 is turned on it your are scanning from a legacy device.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I have had a couple of situations where either a windows update or an antivirus software update turned off network discovery and file and printer sharing, which disabled scanning.