Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Genotrom's Avatar

Scan To SMB does not work with hostname

Hi, I have an anomalous case on a PC with Windows 10. In this office there is a Bizhub 227 with 5 computers. Four of them manage to scan without problems while 1 no longer. This scanner worked for a year without problems. After several tests, I found that it no longer works via hostname. If I do with IP, it works perfectly.

The other 4 computers work perfectly with hostnames. What could have happened on that PC?
    I have set a Static IP but if the user will go home with his laptop, I don't know if the parameters will allow him to browse there too.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Scan To SMB does not work with hostname

For the computer where the hostname does not work, 'Register this connection's addresses in DNS' might be turned off. NetBIOS over TCP/IP might be disabled. Most scan to folder using hostname actually uses NetBIOS name resolution through the DNS.

Also remember that not all Windows 10 computers are the same. If the Windows 10 build numbers are different, the OS are different.

Check the workgroup name

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genotrom View Post
    Hi, I have an anomalous case on a PC with Windows 10. In this office there is a Bizhub 227 with 5 computers. Four of them manage to scan without problems while 1 no longer. This scanner worked for a year without problems. After several tests, I found that it no longer works via hostname. If I do with IP, it works perfectly.

The other 4 computers work perfectly with hostnames. What could have happened on that PC?
    I have set a Static IP but if the user will go home with his laptop, I don't know if the parameters will allow him to browse there too.

Update the firmware & try again.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

This is more than likely the issue, I have run into install scenarios where there is 1 segmented network that is runing two seperate routers, with a double NAT situation (network address translation). This will also allow the computers on the native copier network (A) to resolve using the host name, and not the 1 computer on the other network (B). Of course, this is all based on network hardware and setup. Try clearing your dns's from the command prompt "ipconfig /flushdns". Ive had this helps a handfull of times as it forces the computer to reach out the network devices and rebuild the resource records in the DNS cache. Hope this helps!

JC

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    For the computer where the hostname does not work, 'Register this connection's addresses in DNS' might be turned off. NetBIOS over TCP/IP might be disabled. Most scan to folder using hostname actually uses NetBIOS name resolution through the DNS.

Also remember that not all Windows 10 computers are the same. If the Windows 10 build numbers are different, the OS are different.