Page 13 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

There's a long list of folks that I need to thank in this thread. I went to not knowing much about networking to knowing, well, lets just say I know a hell of a lot more than when I started this thread.

But I need to give a big Thank You to Ken for turning me on to the Virtual Machines. It took a little work to get everything installed. I ran into a few problems but this is really cool. You can install any operating system and run it as a virtual computer and it functions like the real deal. That's gonna save a ton of money and I'll be familiar with all of 'em.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That's gonna save a ton of money and I'll be familiar with all of 'em.
    Linux?
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Linux?

Haven't tried but it appears so.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/d...all_config.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    No I meant you could try it as it's free.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

No I meant you could try it as it's free.

I'm not sure. I just went to their website and tried downloading one of their operating systems and it started to download. I cancelled the download because I'm not ready to learn that. Just got to their website and give it a try.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Linux?
    Absolutely!

I currently am running a copy of Ubuntu Linux Desktop version 20.something (most current) and it works flawlessly, even with the skimpy 4 GB of RAM I’m giving it, all under VM Ware.

I normally use it for surfing websites that I may or may not completely trust, so that no cooties make their way to my Windows 10.

Tons of apps that run on Windows have Linux counterparts, including Notepad++ (invaluable!), Chrome, Visual Studio Code (as I dabble with some programming), a bunch of audio and screen recording software, and...yes, Wireshark. It’s also my web server.

It comes with Libre Office (also freely available for Windows), which is very similar to, and mostly compatible with MS Office, although there is no Outlook counterpart.

Essentially, I only run Windows because I have to, and only when needed. Yeah, I’m a Linux geek.

The best part is that almost all Linux software is open source, meaning that it has no cost. (Note the “almost” part!)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Absolutely!

I currently am running a copy of Ubuntu Linux Desktop version 20.something (most current) and it works flawlessly, even with the skimpy 4 GB of RAM I’m giving it, all under VM Ware.
    Although I keep windows I use Ubuntu-Mate a lot as I don't like the stripped down Gnome 3 desktop that comes with Ubuntu, I prefer Gnome 2, its all about choice
    I normally use it for surfing websites that I may or may not completely trust, so that no cooties make their way to my Windows 10.
    You could create a user account in windows with few privileges as I do and require a password for system access, that seems to keep the nasties out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if already given as a solution. If you want to learn networking try Udemy. Registration is free. They usually list their courses at a high price. You check over the course brochure and later you will probably receive an email offering the course for under $20 (don't buy it at full price). I passed my A+ and Net+ just by using these courses. You will find courses from Mike Myers (the original guru) and Jason Dion as well as others. For the books I went to Ebay. For example hard copies of Mike Myers books are $$$ at Barnes &Noble, Amazon, etc. They are cheaper.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if already given as a solution. If you want to learn networking try Udemy. Registration is free. They usually list their courses at a high price. You check over the course brochure and later you will probably receive an email offering the course for under $20 (don't buy it at full price). I passed my A+ and Net+ just by using these courses. You will find courses from Mike Myers (the original guru) and Jason Dion as well as others. For the books I went to Ebay. For example hard copies of Mike Myers books are $$$ at Barnes &Noble, Amazon, etc. They are cheaper.
    I did my Python training there. Good stuff. I think I paid all of $12.99 for it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Absolutely!

Tons of apps that run on Windows have Linux counterparts, including Notepad++ (invaluable!), Chrome, Visual Studio Code (as I dabble with some programming), a bunch of audio and screen recording software, and...yes, Wireshark. It’s also my web server.

It comes with Libre Office (also freely available for Windows), which is very similar to, and mostly compatible with MS Office, although there is no Outlook counterpart.

Essentially, I only run Windows because I have to, and only when needed. Yeah, I’m a Linux geek.

The best part is that almost all Linux software is open source, meaning that it has no cost. (Note the “almost” part!)
    Really like Linux Mint.
    Other OS to look into is NomadBSD. True persistent OS that runs form a USB drive. Awesome tool to have on your key chain. That and Hirens boot disk.
    Whatever