Page 133 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3383123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1384
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

I've been studying up on One Drive and I see why Folder Redirect is considered antiquated technology. Besides the ability to access files and folders from anywhere, One Drive has features such as collaboration and even version history. Version history basically allows you to go back to a previous version of a document before any editing was done.

There's also things like safe sharing where a password is required. You can also set an expiration date for the share.

I'm just scratching the surface. More to come....
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Collaboration alone is worth it, as well as the ability to keep servers for more important data that shouldn't leave the company boundary.

Between SharePoint Online and OneDrive, most of the file servers I install are for large data sets: medical imaging, gene sequencing, raw video files, blueprints, and other types of data that are difficult or impractical to store online.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Collaboration alone is worth it, as well as the ability to keep servers for more important data that shouldn't leave the company boundary.

Between SharePoint Online and OneDrive, most of the file servers I install are for large data sets: medical imaging, gene sequencing, raw video files, blueprints, and other types of data that are difficult or impractical to store online.

At the end of the day, this is about solving problems or addressing a need. There's no doubt that One Drive is the much better solution compared to Folder Redirect.

I don't consider learning Folder Redirect a total waste because it could be useful somewhere down the line. I also learned that, by default, documents and other information is stored under "user profile".

To anyone reading this thread, I hope y'all understand how rthonpm is saving me from wasting time. He's greatly decreasing the learning curve.

I wouldn't say that One Drive is overly complicated but you do need to learn some things. For starters, by default "File on Demand" was selected on my One Drive account and this had me scratching my head until I figured it out.

"File on Demand" is great if you don't have much disk space. File on Demands will only sync files on the cloud with your PC/device if you open the file. That's great if you're always online but any file that has never been opened will be unavailable if you're offline. I unchecked Files on Demand and now all my files and folders are automatically synced.

I could bore you guys by talking about everything you can do with One Drive but I figure if you want to know that you'll learn it on your own. I will leave you with this:

Collaboration is a key feature of One Drive. In fact, I'm about to schedule a training session with one of my clients.

You can also right click on a file or folder to have it always on your device.

The biggest collaboration tool is the ability to have multiple people access and edit Office files at the same time. Instead of emailing multiple copies of a spreadsheet to collect information, send a OneDrive link and let everyone fill in their specific info, even at the same time.

It's one thing to read about what One Drive will do, it's yet another to experience it. I've spent time today syncing a couple of PC's and my laptop to One Drive.

I also tested shared documents with different users. It's very tight. I'm impressed. You can include as many users as you want and grant various levels of access. Also, they will receive an email notification when a document is shared with them and they can open it from the email. If that email gets deleted...no big deal. They can go to onedrive.com and see all of their shared files and folders.

It's head and shoulders above sharing a document on a physical server.

Like I said, I'm really only doing file servers for large files or highly sensitive data (e.g. proprietary information like blueprints or design files). I've gotten completely out of the personal network drive business thanks to this, and it also allows most of my customers a little bit of extra security, as well as speeding up the new machine process since it's just a matter of moving the folders from the local machine to using OneDrive and pulling down files.

For business Microsoft 365 customers (which is so ridiculously cheap that everyone should at least investigate it) there are additional contractual riders available, such as HIPAA, that can help to cover you if you need to adhere to any kind of compliance regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Like I said, I'm really only doing file servers for large files or highly sensitive data (e.g. proprietary information like blueprints or design files). I've gotten completely out of the personal network drive business thanks to this, and it also allows most of my customers a little bit of extra security, as well as speeding up the new machine process since it's just a matter of moving the folders from the local machine to using OneDrive and pulling down files.

For business Microsoft 365 customers (which is so ridiculously cheap that everyone should at least investigate it) there are additional contractual riders available, such as HIPAA, that can help to cover you if you need to adhere to any kind of compliance regulations.

Over the past couple of days, I asked some of my customers if they're using One Drive and they all said no. I asked if they knew what it did and they didn't know. I already have an appointment with one of my clients to train them on One Drive. Between Windows Server, SharePoint, and OneDrive, there's a lot of opportunity to help out the customer. They just need someone to make them aware of what they're missing out on.

Just a quick comment. It's been a few day since I started using One Drive. It takes a little getting used to. I was never a big "Desktop" user but I did have a few things there for convenience.

With One Drive, I have very little on my Desktop and instead, I mostly use File Explorer/Quick Access. It's clean and simple.

Is anyone else doing this?

If you use OneDrive's known folder redirection, there's no real change needed: your Documents are still in your Documents folder, your Photos are still in the Pictures folder, and your desktop files are still on your desktop. The only difference is where those files live in your local profile, and the fact that they're synched to also be available online.

Many of our customers probably don't even realise that they're using it because of how transparent it is.

That said, I do have shortcuts in Quick Access to specific folders that live in OneDrive, like my server docs, or service manuals.

Last edited by rthonpm; 01-21-2022 at 03:33 AM.