Page 2 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

If you are an authorized dealer with any of the manufacturers, check their training website. They may offer subsidized CompTIA Network+ training and testing. They will most likely also self paced courses on setting up scanning geared to their equipment. Any free training you can get at home in your spare time is more than worth it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you are an authorized dealer with any of the manufacturers, check their training website. They may offer subsidized CompTIA Network+ training and testing. They will most likely also self paced courses on setting up scanning geared to their equipment. Any free training you can get at home in your spare time is more than worth it.

I'm not an authorized dealer. I hear you and others talk about networking and it sounds like Chinese to me. I got to know what yall are talking about, man.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ok... you want to do IT for copier and printers...
    (never did comptia training and you don't really need it do IT support at a copier dealer/ repair company)
    1. Do a survey... find out what your network is going to consists of... copiers, printers, laptops, smart phones, pdas etc?
    2. Find out what is expected... will you be delivering the copier and printer and cables and maybe putting in settings or are you going to do everything?
    3. Learn your equipment...
    -- how to setup scan to smb, email, folder, ftp
    -- learn how to fax forward and any other features of your equipment
    -- learn how to do printing and scanning in windows 7, 8, 10, server, enterprise
    -- learn how to do printing and scanning in mac os x, all versions, iphone and android
    -- buy yourself a $50 iphone to check basic iphone connectivity
    -- buy yourself a cheap mac laptop to learn how mac does things...
    -- download linux distros and learn how to work in each one...
    -- if you have access to a system engineer for your copier vendor... keep him or her on speed dial...
    -- a lot of answers are on the internet in youtube, and various IT forums and this forum... heck I will even help...
    -- also keep in mind that there are some operating systems that are handicapped...
    -- also some windows updates kill certain features...
    -- mac is always changing
    -- and with all your getting learn how to use wireshark and any other tools that you can find. these will teach you whats going on under the surface of your machines and after a while you wont need them...

when you first start out... every install will be a new project... a new adventure... a new learning experience
    each one will teach you something new...
    I never had to learn how to work with managed switches... but I did have to learn about routers and about how switches and routers work and wifi repeaters, also patch panels, patch cables, running cables...

you are definitely going to need to have a home lab to test out various ideas...

you might have to work with virtual os, android, chrome, citrix managed switches

you might even end up supporting customer problems... so you might end up creating form emails... where you only change the names but the solution will be the same... you will also need to learn to work with remote support software like teamviewer and others...

also its a good idea to find good it blogs to listen to that teach you different things about windows and mac... you never know what will come in handy...

also and most importantly pick up friends that do IT like us here and we will help you... and expand your mind... there is strength in numbers...

that should keep you busy...
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    Ok... you want to do IT for copier and printers...
    (never did comptia training and you don't really need it do IT support at a copier dealer/ repair company)
    1. Do a survey... find out what your network is going to consists of... copiers, printers, laptops, smart phones, pdas etc?
    2. Find out what is expected... will you be delivering the copier and printer and cables and maybe putting in settings or are you going to do everything?
    3. Learn your equipment...
    -- how to setup scan to smb, email, folder, ftp
    -- learn how to fax forward and any other features of your equipment
    -- learn how to do printing and scanning in windows 7, 8, 10, server, enterprise
    -- learn how to do printing and scanning in mac os x, all versions, iphone and android
    -- buy yourself a $50 iphone to check basic iphone connectivity
    -- buy yourself a cheap mac laptop to learn how mac does things...
    -- download linux distros and learn how to work in each one...
    -- if you have access to a system engineer for your copier vendor... keep him or her on speed dial...
    -- a lot of answers are on the internet in youtube, and various IT forums and this forum... heck I will even help...
    -- also keep in mind that there are some operating systems that are handicapped...
    -- also some windows updates kill certain features...
    -- mac is always changing
    -- and with all your getting learn how to use wireshark and any other tools that you can find. these will teach you whats going on under the surface of your machines and after a while you wont need them...

when you first start out... every install will be a new project... a new adventure... a new learning experience
    each one will teach you something new...
    I never had to learn how to work with managed switches... but I did have to learn about routers and about how switches and routers work and wifi repeaters, also patch panels, patch cables, running cables...

you are definitely going to need to have a home lab to test out various ideas...

you might have to work with virtual os, android, chrome, citrix managed switches

you might even end up supporting customer problems... so you might end up creating form emails... where you only change the names but the solution will be the same... you will also need to learn to work with remote support software like teamviewer and others...

also its a good idea to find good it blogs to listen to that teach you different things about windows and mac... you never know what will come in handy...

also and most importantly pick up friends that do IT like us here and we will help you... and expand your mind... there is strength in numbers...

that should keep you busy...
    I'm impressed. I think that's a very logical approach and it's exactly what I was looking for. It paints a clear picture for me on what I need to know. If I have a question, I will take you up on your offer. Thanks so much.

So, I'm going through the TestOut labs and it's going pretty good and then I get to the OSI layer. This is kind of hard to grasp and TestOut does a crappy job of explaining it in a meaningful way. I had to go to Youtube to get a deeper understanding. I'm not there yet but this seems very important. Maybe not so much for copiers but then again, it can't hurt to know this stuff.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    So, I'm going through the TestOut labs and it's going pretty good and then I get to the OSI layer. This is kind of hard to grasp and TestOut does a crappy job of explaining it in a meaningful way. I had to go to Youtube to get a deeper understanding. I'm not there yet but this seems very important. Maybe not so much for copiers but then again, it can't hurt to know this stuff.
    This might help.

https://electrical-engineering-porta...ayer-model.gif

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I got an error when I clicked the link. Says access denied.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I got an error when I clicked the link. Says access denied.
    I tried clicking on an image and copied the link to just an image instead of an article. Try this one. It is the actual article. The image I tried posting is Figure 2. Actually the article might be of even more help. Right after Figure 2 are the basic descriptions of all 7 layers. What is the digital substation and what makes it digital? | EEP

The BIG difference in being CompTia certification is
    Some companies require it. Government installs
    Also if YOU F up there equipment Guess Who's going to have to pay to fix it. IE your guy touched our server and now we have an issue.
    Is it the copier or a network issue
    What to touch and what NOT to touch
    Working with there IT it helps if you know your SHIT.

IE did an install there IT could not get scan to email it work. No problem right? After several times making changes and Knowing the correct settings found out there network had an additional layer of security that was blocking email.

Know the difference between ssl/tls , scan to email of scan to ftp and how to setup each one.
    How to setup scan to email and troubleshoot problems

OSI layer is hard to learn do you need it for copier installs no but you need to know the difference between a switch and router. Cable types cat 5 vs cat 6

IT sounds and looks easy it's NOT.

I would walk in and fix the problem within 15 min I make it look too easy
    Just like a would tell my boss it's Not that easy
    I just know my shit because I'm trained
    Last edited by bsm2; 11-08-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    The BIG difference in being CompTia certification is
    Some companies require it. Government installs
    Also if YOU F up there equipment Guess Who's going to have to pay to fix it. IE your guy touched our server and now we have an issue.
    Is it the copier or a network issue
    Working with there IT it helps if you know your SHIT.

IE did an install there IT could not get scan to email it work. No problem right? After several times making changes and Knowing the correct settings found out there network had an additional layer of security that was blocking email.

IT sounds and looks easy it's NOT.

I would walk in and fix the problem within 15 min I make it look too easy
    Just like a would tell my boss it's Not that easy
    I just know my shit because I'm trained
    Can you tell me what Computer Science and Engineering degrees you hold? AS? BS? MS? PHD?