Page 24 of 139 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    In my quest to learn routers my curiosity got the best of me and I discovered there are home routers and then there are enterprise routers. And there's a BIG difference between the two. Some of the Cisco Enterprise Routers are very complicated and a person would need to spend a lot of time just learning them. I think they have complete certification courses for just the router. I know this is something I will never use, so why do I find myself wanting to learn it? You can pick some up on Ebay pretty cheap. They're not the latest and greatest but they're good enough to learn on in a home lab. I probably don't need to go there.
    When it comes to enterprise routers many of them are programmable. Their ports can be programed as to what will be connected to them such as computers and printers/multi-function devices. If a port is programmed for a computer it will not support out going print activity. I have had locations where there were 2 or more jacks in a room all getting valid DHCP connection to the same subnet but only one would support a printer.

BTW there are also internet routers that direct data packets over what at that moment is the fastest route between two locations.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When it comes to enterprise routers many of them are programmable. Their ports can be programed as to what will be connected to them such as computers and printers/multi-function devices. If a port is programmed for a computer it will not support out going print activity. I have had locations where there were 2 or more jacks in a room all getting valid DHCP connection to the same subnet but only one would support a printer.

BTW there are also internet routers that direct data packets over what at that moment is the fastest route between two locations.
    I find all of this stuff highly interesting. My problem is trying to prioritize all of this stuff. I feel like I've learned a lot, yet i know I still have a long ways to go. I think my next purchase will be a Windows Server. Probably a Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Why this thread rating isn't Excellent
    I vote now!
    It seems like a lot of folks aren't interested in this stuff. Either that or they already know it. Probably the latter.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I find all of this stuff highly interesting. My problem is trying to prioritize all of this stuff. I feel like I've learned a lot, yet i know I still have a long ways to go. I think my next purchase will be a Windows Server. Probably a Dell.
    Or maybe a Linux server. You can then run Windows in a virtual machine.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Or maybe a Linux server. You can then run Windows in a virtual machine.
    Many years ago I ran Windows XP virtualized within linux. It booted much faster than the original os on its own hard drive.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Many years ago I ran Windows XP virtualized within linux. It booted much faster than the original os on its own hard drive.
    My youngest daughter is a computer science professor at California State University. She and her entire department use Windows 10 in virtual machines on Linux.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My youngest daughter is a computer science professor at California State University. She and her entire department use Windows 10 in virtual machines on Linux.
    Can someone here pro vs con running windows 10 in a virtually. Vs from a windows terminal server environment...???
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

I've been playing around with a lot of settings in Windows 10, the firewall, and my router. I didn't think much of it until I tried scanning to folder here at the office. It wouldn't work for anything. I used the troubleshooting list that n25an posted in this thread and I must say that it's a damn good troubleshooting list. Still, nothing worked. I spent several hours and was very frustrated to say the least.

There's one thing n25an left off his list.

I had also changed the DNS settings on the copier itself. Don't ask. After correcting that problem all worked fine.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I've been playing around with a lot of settings in Windows 10, the firewall, and my router. I didn't think much of it until I tried scanning to folder here at the office. It wouldn't work for anything. I used the troubleshooting list that n25an posted in this thread and I must say that it's a damn good troubleshooting list. Still, nothing worked. I spent several hours and was very frustrated to say the least.

There's one thing n25an left off his list.

I had also changed the DNS settings on the copier itself. Don't ask. After correcting that problem all worked fine.
    By any chance was the computer you were trying to scan to connected wireless using a USB WiFi device. I have over the years encountered at least 1 USB WiFi device that blocked file sharing.

By any chance was the computer you were trying to scan to connected wireless using a USB WiFi device. I have over the years encountered at least 1 USB WiFi device that blocked file sharing.

I've got several windows 10 computers and it wouldn't scan to any of them - wireless or wired. What I did was change the DNS server settings on the coper to the IP address of the router when I was learning to print to hostname. That worked when printing to hostname but scanning to SMB won't work. I really didn't understand what I was doing at the time. Live and learn.