Page 32 of 89 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 885
  1. #311
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,469
    Rep Power
    103

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    That 6 page network survey can be your enemy. Miraculously, I got a few of those filled out. So when I arrived they said:" Oh, just set up 'everything'."

    I ask: "... so what's 'everything'?"
    "You know, FTP, SMB, email, printing, ... on every computer in the building. Will an hour be enough?"

    My advice is not to put any additional ideas into their heads. Local IT has the right idea, Keep it as simple as possible. Easier to maintain.
    =^..^=
    Exact same results here.

    It’s best just to have the IT contact info, and work directly with them.

    I’ve had a number of (very unknowledgeable) customers think that IT involvement wasn’t required, especially if they had a third party IT who would charge them.
    ďI think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. Thatís why I keep mine locked up in the basement.Ē - Tim Hawkins

  2. #312
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,916
    Rep Power
    175

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    That 6 page network survey can be your enemy. Miraculously, I got a few of those filled out. So when I arrived they said:" Oh, just set up 'everything'."

    I ask: "... so what's 'everything'?"
    "You know, FTP, SMB, email, printing, ... on every computer in the building. Will an hour be enough?"

    My advice is not to put any additional ideas into their heads. Local IT has the right idea, Keep it as simple as possible. Easier to maintain.
    =^..^=
    Welp, that's 2 people that I trust that said basically the same thing. I'm scratching that idea.

  3. #313
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    19,503
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    ... Iíve had a number of (very unknowledgeable) customers think that IT involvement wasnít required, especially if they had a third party IT who would charge them.
    There have been some very comical moments when I've asked for very simple credentials ... and all I get is the thousand mile stare. "You MUST know your username and password ... yes? You logged onto your computer this morning? " =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  4. #314
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    M94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Welp, that's 2 people that I trust that said basically the same thing. I'm scratching that idea.
    Two people you trust and me!
    Seriously though be careful, you don't want customers to start trying to take advantage of you. Show them you can give them an inch and they'll ask for a foot. I'm technically a subsidiary of an IT company and my boss is drilling into me over and over that there needs to be a clean break even if I know some of the answers. Mostly because 1) I'm being hired for a specific task or project, they have no right to expect me to extend beyond that 2) In situations where a company has their own IT we don't want to be stepping on their toes\doing their work for them and finally 3) If you do work outside of the scope of your contract in specific environments you can be flirting with liability lines if something goes wrong.

  5. #315
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,916
    Rep Power
    175

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    Two people you trust and me!
    Seriously though be careful, you don't want customers to start trying to take advantage of you. Show them you can give them an inch and they'll ask for a foot. I'm technically a subsidiary of an IT company and my boss is drilling into me over and over that there needs to be a clean break even if I know some of the answers. Mostly because 1) I'm being hired for a specific task or project, they have no right to expect me to extend beyond that 2) In situations where a company has their own IT we don't want to be stepping on their toes\doing their work for them and finally 3) If you do work outside of the scope of your contract in specific environments you can be flirting with liability lines if something goes wrong.




    I didn't mean to come across as saying there are folks on here that I don't trust. I make it a point to read your posts and try to learn from your experience.

    With that being said, I know all too well how costumers try to take advantage. I have a PhD in that.

  6. #316
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    19,503
    Rep Power
    371

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    The company I was working for at that time allocated 2 hours included IT setup time, everything after billable at $150 per hour. With few exceptions, every setup had somebody who wanted just one more thing ... and you don't really have to charge me, do you? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  7. #317
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,916
    Rep Power
    175

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The company I was working for at that time allocated 2 hours included IT setup time, everything after billable at $150 per hour. With few exceptions, every setup had somebody who wanted just one more thing ... and you don't really have to charge me, do you? =^..^=

    Back in the day when I was a tech for a big Sharp dealership, I made sure I carried a bunch of the service manager's business cards with me. He was also one of the 3 owners. When I got into a confrontational situation with a customer, I would just tell them that this is above my paygrade and hand them his business card.

  8. #318
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    M94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post



    I didn't mean to come across as saying there are folks on here that I don't trust. I make it a point to read your posts and try to learn from your experience.

    With that being said, I know all too well how costumers try to take advantage. I have a PhD in that.
    You didn't at all I was being sarcastic, careful trying to learn from my experience... As far as copiers that experience is VERY limited...
    I'm pretty good at customer's and consumer pcs and software though

  9. #319
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,916
    Rep Power
    175

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    You didn't at all I was being sarcastic, careful trying to learn from my experience... As far as copiers that experience is VERY limited...
    I'm pretty good at customer's and consumer pcs and software though

    I was out of the office equipment game for MANY years. I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable folks on this site. But I'm learning.

  10. #320
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,916
    Rep Power
    175

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Here's a funny story when I was a new tech. I will never forget it.


    I went out on a service call and the pages were almost solid black. It was an old Sharp desktop copier. You actually poured the toner straight out of the bottle into the toner hopper. Anyone remember those? Well, after about an hour of chasing my tail, I look in the copier cabinet and see an open bottle of Xerox toner.

    Back in the day, Sharp toner had a sweet smell to it. I opened the toner hopper of the copier and smelled the toner. It wasn't Sharp toner. I vacuumed out all of the Xerox toner, ran a bunch of sky shots, poured in the right toner and I finally got it to making good copies.

    This was a contract customer and I wrote them a bill for labor and gave it to some lady. At that point the owner came out of his office madder than hell. He told me that one of our techs was out there a few days ago and put the Xerox toner in the machine. The tech that was out there was one of our top techs and I told the owner that I find that hard to believe. That was a mistake. He became irate. I thought we were gonna wrestle.

    He called one of the owners and said that I had called him a liar. My service manager asked me what I said. I told him that I told the owner that I found it hard to believe that one of our techs put Xerox toner in his machine. The onwer look at me said: "basically you did call him a liar". And he was right. Never did that again. I was about 18 at the time.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here