Page 61 of 139 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

As I've so often done since the beginning of this thread, I have to come back and say that I'm wrong and slim is right. There is more to subnetting than the portion that I posted. The part I posted was only for finding the custom subnets. It did not deal at all with the broadcast address nor how to find the IP range.

Before I post something else that is wrong, I must go back to the drawing board.

By the way, slim, I'm getting tired of you always being right.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    As I've so often done since the beginning of this thread, I have to come back and say that I'm wrong and slim is right. There is more to subnetting than the portion that I posted. The part I posted was only for finding the custom subnets. It did not deal at all with the broadcast address nor how to find the IP range.

Before I post something else that is wrong, I must go back to the drawing board.

By the way, slim, I'm getting tired of you always being right.
    It helps when you have a daughter who is a computer science professor teaches operating systems, internet security and networks. But so far I haven't had to check with her. Mostly military Unit Information Manager, Novell training with Lanier Worldwide and decades of hands on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It helps when you have a daughter who is a computer science professor teaches operating systems, internet security and networks. But so far I haven't had to check with her. Mostly military Unit Information Manager, Novell training with Lanier Worldwide and decades of hands on experience.
    I don't mind at all when you point out that I'm wrong. That helps me out greatly. I've been on this all day. Well, on and off. I'm actually watching a video right now that's about an hour long and it covers everything that you talked about. I have to get this down because it's creating problems for me in my labs.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I don't mind at all when you point out that I'm wrong. That helps me out greatly. I've been on this all day. Well, on and off. I'm actually watching a video right now that's about an hour long and it covers everything that you talked about. I have to get this down because it's creating problems for me in my labs.
    You need to be proud of yourself.You have learned more in the last 5 months here than some tech with years of experience won't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You need to be proud of yourself.You have learned more in the last 5 months here than some tech with years of experience won't even try.
    I appreciate that.

I'm 10-minutes into the new video and he's turned much of what I thought I knew and turned it on it's head. Come to find out that there's a complete range of IP addresses for Class A, B, C, D, E. And then there's a private range for Class A, B, C, D. E. And then there's the range of 127.0.0.0 thru 127.255.255.0 which is a loop back and can't be used. And there's a bunch of more shit that's blowing my mind.

I'm not gonna lie...I am struggling with this. I'll push through.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I appreciate that.

I'm 10-minutes into the new video and he's turned much of what I thought I knew and turned it on it's head. Come to find out that there's a complete range of IP addresses for Class A, B, C, D, E. And then there's a private range for Class A, B, C, D. E. And then there's the range of 127.0.0.0 thru 127.255.255.0 which is a loop back and can't be used. And there's a bunch of more shit that's blowing my mind.

I'm not gonna lie...I am struggling with this. I'll push through.
    127.0.0.0 canbe useful in conjunction with the hosts file. Any URL can be blocked by directing it to 127.0.0.0 in the hosts file.

As soon as I opened my eyes this morning the first thing I thought of was subnetting. My mind is clear this morning...unlike last night when I had a splitting headache from subnetting.

It's become clear to me that I need a plan of attack for learning subnetting. This may be my greatest challenge yet as far as networking goes. I'm not going to learn this in a day...or even a week. I'm not sure how much time it will take, but how ever long it takes, it takes.

It's also clear to me that I'm gonna have to commit a bunch of numbers to memory. It's too difficult to always refer back to a chart and it's time consuming. Time is also important when/if I take the CCNA exam. Also, I hear that a majority of the test has to do with subnetting...in one form or another.

This shit is getting real.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

As soon as I opened my eyes this morning the first thing I thought of was subnetting. My mind is clear this morning...unlike last night when I had a splitting headache from subnetting.

It's become clear to me that I need a plan of attack for learning subnetting. This may be my greatest challenge yet as far as networking goes. I'm not going to learn this in a day...or even a week. I'm not sure how much time it will take, but how ever long it takes, it takes.

It's also clear to me that I'm gonna have to commit a bunch of numbers to memory. It's too difficult to always refer back to a chart and it's time consuming. Time is also important when/if I take the CCNA exam. Also, I hear that a majority of the test has to do with subnetting...in one form or another.

Pro tip: no network engineer I know for the most part really keeps more than enough subnetting knowledge to pass an exam. Beyond that, in the real world people use subnet calculators and other tools for day to day tasks. Unless you're building networks from scratch you're not really doing a lot of it. Even with my old Network + exam, there was a good deal of subnetting topics, but in close to twenty years of copier and IT support, I've only had to actually use it in the field maybe five or six times, and often just to extend out an existing network to account for more hosts.

Unless you're looking at being a switch jockey, a LAN engineer, or dealing with customers with routable IP ranges knowing the basics of subnet masks and 10.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x being private IP ranges will be more than enough. That's not even touching the greater fun of IPv6 either, so many different rules apply there...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The important things to commit to permanent memory is where to find and how to use the look up tables and calculators. And if your store those tables on your computers it makes it faster and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Pro tip: no network engineer I know for the most part really keeps more than enough subnetting knowledge to pass an exam. Beyond that, in the real world people use subnet calculators and other tools for day to day tasks. Unless you're building networks from scratch you're not really doing a lot of it. Even with my old Network + exam, there was a good deal of subnetting topics, but in close to twenty years of copier and IT support, I've only had to actually use it in the field maybe five or six times, and often just to extend out an existing network to account for more hosts.

Unless you're looking at being a switch jockey, a LAN engineer, or dealing with customers with routable IP ranges knowing the basics of subnet masks and 10.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x being private IP ranges will be more than enough. That's not even touching the greater fun of IPv6 either, so many different rules apply there...
    Agreed. I've already researched it and everything you say is true. The problem is that I'm thinking of getting my CCNA and they cover subnetting extensively. Once you pass the test, you can use a calculator. It sucks but that's the way it is.