Page 67 of 139 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    You have come far, Grasshopper.

Thanks, man. I'm hanging in there.

When I started taking the online course, I really didn't know what to expect. I had learned some stuff on here about networking and that put me ahead of the game. Thanks to all of you on here that helped me.

With that being said, the online course brought me into a totally different realm. It's important to understand that the online course isn't teaching about small networks. We're talking about production networks. Think HUGE.

As I (slowly) went through the course, it's all I could do to grasp the multiple concepts that they were teaching. You can't see the bigger picture when you're trying to learn a bunch of concepts. And the concepts are really difficult to learn. And we're talking a bunch of concepts...not 2 3, but MANY.

Things have finally slowed down for me and I'm starting to be able to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

In the new online course that I'm taking, I was given a lab that had 3 different departments. I was given an IP address of 192.168.1.0 and told to create 4 subnets for that Network ID and configure all the switches, routers, and different devices. In addition, I had to set up a DHCP server to assign IP addresses for the different subnets. It took me about 10-minutes to complete and I got everything correct the first time.

I'm still looking up at the mountain but at least I'm not on the groud anymore.

Subject: Subnetting.

Even though I got subnetting down a couple of weeks ago, I had to do a practice exam on my online studies. I was able to complete the test and only missed one question, but they worded the questions very tricky. The instructor said that when I take my CCNA exam that they try to confuse you with the wording of the questions.

Remember that the exam has about 100 questions in total and I'll have about 2-minutes to answer each question. Because the tricky wording slowed me down, I went and refined my subnetting skills. I put a tremendous amount of effort into refining my networking skills over the weekend. As a result, I don't care what they throw at me...I will be able to make short work of it. No doubt.

On a different note: I think with the age of VLAN's that the need for subnetting has decreased greatly, but the skills that I acquired by learning subnetting should come in handy. I can look now look at the subnet and know how many hosts I can have on the network or how many networks I can create. I also can quickly find out my broadcast address. Good stuff to know.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Subject: Subnetting.

Even though I got subnetting down a couple of weeks ago, I had to do a practice exam on my online studies. I was able to complete the test and only missed one question, but they worded the questions very tricky. The instructor said that when I take my CCNA exam that they try to confuse you with the wording of the questions.

Remember that the exam has about 100 questions in total and I'll have about 2-minutes to answer each question. Because the tricky wording slowed me down, I went and refined my subnetting skills. I put a tremendous amount of effort into refining my networking skills over the weekend. As a result, I don't care what they throw at me...I will be able to make short work of it. No doubt.

On a different note: I think with the age of VLAN's that the need for subnetting has decreased greatly, but the skills that I acquired by learning subnetting should come in handy. I can look now look at the subnet and know how many hosts I can have on the network or how many networks I can create. I also can quickly find out my broadcast address. Good stuff to know.
    Be careful. On the teat not only will they ask some questions using tricky wording, they could ask the same question in 3 or 4 different versions of tricky wording.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Be careful. On the teat not only will they ask some questions using tricky wording, they could ask the same question in 3 or 4 different versions of tricky wording.

You're right. It's another element that I must prepare for. I plan on taking a ton of practice exams before test day...whenever that time comes.

The instructor is getting stupid with the subnetting. We're now subnetting a subnet. I now see that it's possible to break a network down into tiny pieces. In fact, the connection been 2 routers is network. And all you need on that connection is 2 hosts...so we subnetted a subnet and only 2 hosts were possible in the IP range.

I've had even subnetting for a today.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

This morning I was taking a practice exam on subnetting. Yes, I'm still on subnetting...more on that in a minute. Anyway, you can give me an IP address and ask me 100 different questions about subnetting it and I'll get it right 100 out of 100 times. However, on the practice exam they used a diagram of a large network where several of the subnets had already used and assigned me an IP address and said that it should be able to accommodate 100 hosts. In other words, they took subnettting out of the mathematical realm and applied it to the real world. This threw me off a little while.

That made me think about this post by slim. I've always wondered how slim knew as much as he did about networking. Obviously, he has studied networking just like I'm doing now. There's no other way he could possibly know all of this stuff. Once again, slim has given me good advice about how the test writers will try to throw you a curve ball in many different ways.

I said all of that to say this: For those of you who one day may go through a networking course, don't leave anything to chance. If you're learning subnetting...make sure you master it. That's why I continue to spend more time on it. There's more to it than meets the eye.

In my opinion, I think it's a good thing that the test tries to trick people. If you master a subject, you can't be tricked. But if you only mastered a mathematical formula and don't know how to apply it to the real world, you'll be of little use to your employer.

Food for thought: If you look at a subnet mask and see any number other than a 0 or 255..it's been subnetted to either gain more networks or hosts.

Here's one of the questions from the practice exam. It's one of the easier one. See if you can get it right. See below:

subnet question.JPG

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Pretty easy one there.

Another test tip: keep track of any questions you're not sure of. Often you'll find the correct answer as part of an example in a later question.

One other IT related thing: no ad blocker for your browser?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Here's something new that I learned today: A layer 3 switch is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a router. Can anyone tell me why? I'll give it a little while then I'll post the answer.