Page 70 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 880
  1. #691
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I appreciate the help, bro, but that's helleva complicated.


    I watched a video on it just now and I think that may be a little over my head. I may give it a shot if I can work up the courage.

  2. #692
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Welp, it appears that slim's solution is gonna be my best option. I know this has to be a common occurrence. That's why I'm gonna learn how to do it but there needs to be a simpler way.

  3. #693
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking


  4. #694
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,992
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Even easier: from another domain computer logged in with an account with admin permissions on both computers, navigate to the machine's admin share, then go to the Users directory and copy the files you need from one user folder to the other.

    The account you use doesn't need domain admin rights (in fact, domain admin accounts shouldn't be able to log into anything other than domain controllers), just administrator permissions for the computers.



    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

  5. #695
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Even easier: from another domain computer logged in with an account with admin permissions on both computers, navigate to the machine's admin share, then go to the Users directory and copy the files you need from one user folder to the other.

    The account you use doesn't need domain admin rights (in fact, domain admin accounts shouldn't be able to log into anything other than domain controllers), just administrator permissions for the computers.



    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

    I really appreciate your help. This is all new to me so you'll have to overlook my ignorance.


    Here's my problem when I try to recreate the scenario on my virtual server and PC's.


    1. My client doesn't have active directory installed. Whomever set this up just joined the PC's to the domain. I uninstalled active directory from my 2019 server to recreate what I'm walking into. So, when I reinstalled active directory, it got promoted as my "Domain Controller" and all the previous domain users can't log onto the server.

    There are other issues but I need to get this figured out first or it's all naught.


    PS - I appreciate any help but don't put yourself out too much.

  6. #696
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I really appreciate your help. This is all new to me so you'll have to overlook my ignorance.


    Here's my problem when I try to recreate the scenario on my virtual server and PC's.


    1. My client doesn't have active directory installed. Whomever set this up just joined the PC's to the domain. I uninstalled active directory from my 2019 server to recreate what I'm walking into. So, when I reinstalled active directory, it got promoted as my "Domain Controller" and all the previous domain users can't log onto the server.

    There are other issues but I need to get this figured out first or it's all naught.


    PS - I appreciate any help but don't put yourself out too much.

    I think I have that part figured out. I just unjointed the PC from the previous domain and added it to the new domain.

    The thought of don't this is making me nervous. But this is a good friend & client and I told him I wasn't gonna touch his server unless I knew I could do it.

  7. #697
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,992
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    You need to create your users. Everything in AD has to be created in it: users, computers, policies, etc.

    To login as a local user, use .\username as the username. The .\ tells a domain PC to use local authentication instead of domain.

    If you have access to the domain controller, create the users corresponding to the local users, but try to use a different username convention as you can run into issues with identical usernames between local and domain accounts.

    To have an admin account, you'll need to add a dedicated admin account in AD and then use group policy to add it as an administrator on all computers.

    You've got a complicated issue: a half-finished domain migration, that needs someone with a good handle on Active Directory to fully clean up and complete. I've walked into that kind of situation before, and often the cleanest solution is to blow up what's there and start over clean to avoid any surprises. It's not fun (well, in a way it is) but it's often the only way to ensure everything is configured properly.





    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

  8. #698
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    You need to create your users. Everything in AD has to be created in it: users, computers, policies, etc.

    To login as a local user, use .\username as the username. The .\ tells a domain PC to use local authentication instead of domain.

    If you have access to the domain controller, create the users corresponding to the local users, but try to use a different username convention as you can run into issues with identical usernames between local and domain accounts.

    To have an admin account, you'll need to add a dedicated admin account in AD and then use group policy to add it as an administrator on all computers.

    You've got a complicated issue: a half-finished domain migration, that needs someone with a good handle on Active Directory to fully clean up and complete. I've walked into that kind of situation before, and often the cleanest solution is to blow up what's there and start over clean to avoid any surprises. It's not fun (well, in a way it is) but it's often the only way to ensure everything is configured properly.





    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk


    You know your stuff, man. You've said enough for me to know that I'm not gonna do this job.

    I only became aware of this issue because I was there installing a couple of copiers and there were 3 or 4 PC's that no one knew the admin password for them. They said the previous employees quit and changed the password and said that they forgot what it was. I asked why they weren't using active directory. It's a big mess over there. Some PC's are on the server, some aren't.

    I'm VERy interested in learning windows server. I'll get to it in due time.

  9. #699
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    I just wanted to thank rthonpm for his help yesterday. There are so many on here that are valuable resources and he's one of 'em. The man is good at what he does. Thanks again.

  10. #700
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,899
    Rep Power
    174

    Re: Need some advice on learning networking

    Thought I'd give an update. Maybe this will help the next person that goes for their CCNA.


    I'm progressing nicely with the online course that I'm taking. I'm now able to troubleshoot the networks that we've covered so far and explain the concepts behind them. It's been no easy road. But it's been worth it. Still a long ways to go before I can even think of taking the CCNA test.

    Speaking of the test....


    The online course has taught me a LOT. However, the online course alone isn't gonna get me all the knowledge required to pass the test. One reason I haven't given an update lately is that I've had my head buried in a book. It's the "official certification guide" for CCNA 200-301. It's almost 800-pages of technical information that covers a lot of ground.

    Some may say that a person doesn't need to know all of that information but I believe it's the foundation to understanding more complex networking concepts.


    See book below:


    Book CCNA.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here