Page 8 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Yes 50 but I have my favorites
    You can use whatever you want.
    The reason you don't want to use the ipadress it pulled from DHCP is a power failure a pc can select the same ipaddress as the copier and you have no printing or other weird problems.

I think I understand. I watched a video on YouTube and here's the way he explained it:

If the DHCP range is 192.168.1.0 -- 192.168.1.254, when a computer is placed on the network for the first time, the DHCP server will assign it a network address at the lowest end of the range. In this case the IP address would be 192.168.1.0. The next device installed on the network would have an IP address of 192.168.1.1. In other words, it just counts up from the beginning of the DHCP range.

In conclusion, if the DHCP server does not limit the DHCP range, you need to make sure the IP address of the copier is at the upper end of the DHCP range in order to avoid any IP conflicts.

I think I have that right.

.0 and 255 are reserved
    Other than that you got it

.0 and 255 are reserved
    Other than that you got it
    Got it. Thanks.

The more I learn about DHCP, the more questions I have.

When the DHCP server assigns an IP address, it has a Lease Time. When the lease time is up, the host can request the same IP address but from my understanding, it may not always get the same address.

If I'm understanding this correctly, that's why a copier should always have a static IP address?

Do I understand that right?

DHCP is fine as long as the customer has IT Support to do a good DHCP reservation for that device. Some companies I have helped have ALL of their devices DHCP but keep a very detailed DHCP reservation list. Otherwise I would always recommend static especially if they have no IT Support.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Got it. Thanks.

The more I learn about DHCP, the more questions I have.

When the DHCP server assigns an IP address, it has a Lease Time. When the lease time is up, the host can request the same IP address but from my understanding, it may bot always get the same address.

If I'm understanding this correctly, that's why a copier should always have a static IP address?

Do I understand that right?

Yes but some Enterprise clients can reserve an IPaddress using a dhcp reservation using the MAC address of the NIC card in that case you would leave it on DHCP and the machine would always get the same ipaddress

Yes but some Enterprise clients can reserve an IPaddress using a dhcp reservation using the MAC address of the NIC card in that case you would leave it on DHCP and the machine would always get the same ipaddress

Credit where credit is due. You know your stuff. In the video I was watching, they mentioned that DHCP can be set up with reserved IP addresses. They didn't explain how it worked. It's good to know that the MAC address is used and it makes sense. Thank you for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by DFM914 View Post
    DHCP is fine as long as the customer has IT Support to do a good DHCP reservation for that device. Some companies I have helped have ALL of their devices DHCP but keep a very detailed DHCP reservation list. Otherwise I would always recommend static especially if they have no IT Support.
    Thanks for sharing.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I think I understand. I watched a video on YouTube and here's the way he explained it:

If the DHCP range is 192.168.1.0 -- 192.168.1.254, when a computer is placed on the network for the first time, the DHCP server will assign it a network address at the lowest end of the range. In this case the IP address would be 192.168.1.0. The next device installed on the network would have an IP address of 192.168.1.1. In other words, it just counts up from the beginning of the DHCP range.

In conclusion, if the DHCP server does not limit the DHCP range, you need to make sure the IP address of the copier is at the upper end of the DHCP range in order to avoid any IP conflicts.

I think I have that right.
    Most quality network installers never use the entire subnet range for DHCP. 255 devices on the same subnet can get a little awkward and lead to collisions and slow throughput. Most router DHCP usually allocate 100 addresses at most but do not always use the same range. If you can login to the router check what that range. You can the go either 50 above the highest oy 50 below the lowest. Just remember, there may be other devices with fixed IP Addresses.

If you are using a computer that is a member of the same workgroup/domain as the rest of the network, you can open a command prompt and type NET VIEW to see a list of all addresses in use.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most quality network installers never use the entire subnet range for DHCP. 255 devices on the same subnet can get a little awkward and lead to collisions and slow throughput. Most router DHCP usually allocate 100 addresses at most but do not always use the same range. If you can login to the router check what that range. You can the go either 50 above the highest oy 50 below the lowest. Just remember, there may be other devices with fixed IP Addresses.

If you are using a computer that is a member of the same workgroup/domain as the rest of the network, you can open a command prompt and type NET VIEW to see a list of all addresses in use.
    I ran Net View and all it showed me was the name of the computer I am on.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Credit where credit is due. You know your stuff. In the video I was watching, they mentioned that DHCP can be set up with reserved IP addresses. They didn't explain how it worked. It's good to know that the MAC address is used and it makes sense. Thank you for that info.
    With most router DHCP reservations are very easy to do as long as you can login to the router. Somewhere in the DHCP setting will be a setting for DHCL Reservations. If the device you wish to make a reservation for is already connected DHCP, it will be listed with a check box next to it. Click on the check box. Try it with your browser at home.