Page 92 of 139 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

So, about that Server 2019 that I set up recently....

There was one thing left that I needed to do and that was set up scan to folder for all users on the network. Before I get into this, keep in mind that I set up "folder redirect" for every single user. I bring this up because if I create a shared folder on the desktop it is no longer a local folder...that folder is now on the server in a shared folder that I set up earlier named: "Folder Redirection." It's kinda confusing but for anyone who's ever set this up, they'll know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I created a shared folder on C-drive of the server. The MFP was a Kyocera 3551ci. On a kyocera you don't have to put in any \\ for the folder path. You simply need to enter the name of the PC and the name of the folder. It you have a sub-folder then you'll need to add a \

I've done this at the shop many times and never had a problem. But for some reason it would not work this morning. I spent a good hour troubleshooting it. I turned off windows defender and double checked everything. No luck. Then I realized I never checked to see if SMB1 was turned on at the server. It wasn't. I turned it on and all worked as it should. I must be more careful.

SMB 1 No No and NO
    Never turn it BACK ON
    Back to School for URookie

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    SMB 1 No No and NO
    Never turn it BACK ON
    Back to School for URookie
    Here I thought I was going to have to post my regular Stop Using SMB1 post.

Stop using SMB1 - Microsoft Tech Community

There it is for everyone again.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

SMB1 has been covered ad nauseum on this site. It's actually a pretty boring subject. But it's my fault for not being more clear and giving my 2 haters from the political forum a reason to stick out their chest and try to prove that they're some kind of network Gods. LOL

The reason I turned on SMB1 is because the Kyocera MFP didn't have the latest firmware installed thus it would only scan if SMB1 was turned on. So, the only reason It was turned on was for testing purposes. I actually returned later that evening with the latest firmware and turned off SMB1.

Now to address the "Network God's"....lol

I'm done with my Server 2019 install that I've been working on and I'm back to studying for the CCNA.

For bsm2 and the other idiot, if you want to impress me, explain OSPF to me in detail. This is the most used routing protocol in use today. Show me what you know. SMB1 is boring.

By the way, anyone ever use Bit Defender Gravity Zone? It's pretty cool.

Did you understand how to make a 7 layer burrito yet? Rookie

Smb is not boring it's fundamental in understanding how copiers scan, as is Ftp and scan to email

Your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Did you understand how to make a 7 layer burrito yet? Rookie

Smb is not boring it's fundemnetail is understanding how copiers scan
    Your welcome

You need to watch this dude. He's f'n brilliant.

Smb is not boring it's fundamental in understanding how copiers scan, as is Ftp and scan to email

Networking a copier is boring if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You need to watch this dude. He's f'n brilliant.

Networking a copier is boring if you ask me.

Let the Pro's handle it

Here's what I learned setting up my first Windows Server 2019 Domain Controller in an actual customer's office.

I'll skip talking about installing the roles & features and promoting to a Domain Server as that's pretty basic stuff.

There was a lot more to this than I first thought. For someone with a lot of experience, I'm sure this would an easy job, but for doing this for the first time, it was very stressuful as I didn't want to screw anything up nor did I want to fail.

Here was the checklist I wrote down before I started the job.

1. Install Windows Server 2019 and activate via PowerShell.
    2. Install DNS and Active Directory. ( I did not install DHCP)
    3. Set Static IP Address and point server back to itself.
    4. Install security updates.
    5. Enable Remote Access
    6. Install and configure Backup Services.
    7. Install Security Suite (Bit Defender Gravity Zone)
    8. Transfer Shared Folders and set permissions.
    9. Transfer Quickbooks Enterprise company file.
    10. Upgrade any PC's that were running Windows Home.
    11. Join all PCs to Domain.
    12. Create Users
    13. Create Security Groups
    14. Set up Folder Redirection so that users can have desktop and My Documents when logging in to any PC on the network.
    15. Migrate all local profiles to newly created domain profile.
    16. Set up printers and scan folders for each user.

For me this was a HUGE undertaking. It was stressful yet rewarding. I would say it went pretty smooth. Although Bit Defender did create some problems with Quickbooks Enterprise when "Multi-User" mode was activated. I had to create a few rules to allow access to the company files.

The customer is super happy and that makes me happy.

Also, I don't care if a company has 10 PC's or 10,000, they can benefit greatly from being able to manage their network with Active Directory. This particular company had about 35 PCs.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Now your customer has all of the client access licenses (CAL) to be properly licensed to access the server?

Microsoft licensing can be a nightmare in and of itself, but overall each computer or user needs to have a CAL to allow them rights to connect to the server. Trying to also understand what you need for say RDS or SQL or any other feature makes it even messier. For straight client/server it's more or less an honour system type of thing, but if the company ever does additional business with MS, there is the potential of an audit, in which case they would need to show proof of purchase for the CALs. Unless it's a major company, there's not much chance of an audit by Microsoft, though any good IT provider would also do one to make sure they're taking over fully licensed software, in which case they'd just get them to purchase what they need to get them up to compliance.

There is one exception to this, which is the OS variant of Windows Server Essentials, which allows up to 75 user and computer objects without needing additional CALs. It does come with some limitations but for many small businesses, it can be a great choice.

Overall, you hit what I'd consider most of the big points in a small environment. My only tips for the future:

Always run servers as VM's under a high level hypervisor like Hyper-V Server or ESXI for portability and flexibility. A single license of Server Standard gives you rights to create two virtual instances, so by going virtual you can double your server count. The only physical servers we build anymore are ones that need a physical connection to some kind of hardware, like a tape drive or some kind of scientific or industrial instrument.

With Server 2019, you really don't need a third-party antivirus since it comes with its own. Antivirus as an add-on product is going the way of third-party firewalls on client machines. The only advantage to a business class third-party AV is centralised logging and status. I've gone both ways with AV, and as long as the AV can update at least hourly you should be good to go.

Folder redirection is kind of on its way out. I recommend Microsoft 365 to all of my customers so that OneDrive can do the same thing, especially as many of them have moved to laptops over the past year, so it allows access to their own files and docs without needing a VPN. It's still a perfectly legitimate method of protecting files, but if machines leave the business for work offsite, you can run into sync issues.

Small businesses are tough for this one, but I like separating the DC from all other functions, it's good practise to use a segmentation of server roles mainly so that you can apply appropriate levels of protection by a server's function. so a DC would be the DNS server and also potentially DHCP, it just keeps user files off the DC in case something malicious does sneak through. Kind of have to work with what you have though, and it's not as if you can't expand in the future.

It's been fun seeing just how far along the concepts this thread has covered have advanced.

Once we stop learning, we start stagnating.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk