Page 97 of 139 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Let's leave the politics in the Rants and Raves section. Let's try and keep the work related topics, work related. Tough to do, but it keeps the threads from getting hijacked into oblivion.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

You're better off just ignoring. Trust me.

Hey, quick question. Can you name a few key benefits to incorporating Microsoft Teams with SharePoint? I'm concerned that it may be too much for my customer to learn?? Or am I off base thinking that?
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 07-18-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The trick isn't to use Teams with SharePoint, it's to use Teams AS SharePoint. The backend for both Teams and OneDrive is SharePoint. By creating a Team within Microsoft Teams you are essentially creating a SharePoint group within SharePoint Online.

If your folders and files for the Team are set within the Files tab of the Team, there's no need to even go into SharePoint itself to add or edit files. Teams works as a more user friendly frontend for SharePoint Online. SharePoint itself isn't very intuitive in terms of navigation.

For one customer, I set up a Team for the Accounting group with all of their PO templates and disclaimers in the Files tab and a web tab for their ERP system. Instead of going into SharePoint in one browser tab and ERP in another, they never have to leave Teams to do 90% of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The trick isn't to use Teams with SharePoint, it's to use Teams AS SharePoint. The backend for both Teams and OneDrive is SharePoint. By creating a Team within Microsoft Teams you are essentially creating a SharePoint group within SharePoint Online.

If your folders and files for the Team are set within the Files tab of the Team, there's no need to even go into SharePoint itself to add or edit files. Teams works as a more user friendly frontend for SharePoint Online. SharePoint itself isn't very intuitive in terms of navigation.

For one customer, I set up a Team for the Accounting group with all of their PO templates and disclaimers in the Files tab and a web tab for their ERP system. Instead of going into SharePoint in one browser tab and ERP in another, they never have to leave Teams to do 90% of their work.

Understood. Well, I don't fully understand but I'm gonna work on it.

One another note, I just had one of those "oh wow" moments.

Tomorrow morning I will be demoing the new SharePoint site to the company owner and a few key people there.

My only concern was that, while they can access their files from anywhere, it's different. When they were on Server 2019, they simply went to File Explorer and clicked on the file they needed. Now they must go to office.com, sign in with their credentials, click on site, and finally they can access the document.

I discovered that I can "sync" Sharepoint docs with One Drive and now they can go to File Explorer and it's business as usual. I also downloaded the mobile app and will demo all of this in the morning. I don't know how they'll react, but I'm blown away.

PS - Thanks for all of your help. I don't know how I can ever repay you for all of your help.

There's more to this than meets the eye. While syncing Sharepoint with OneDrive is fantastic for saving drafts and working on a document solo, it's best practice not to collaborate on a document from OneDrive. Best practice is to go to SharePoint if more than one use is working on a document.

OneDrive is perfectly suited for sharing files, but it's more for an individual file, or for sharing with a smaller subset of people, like a document that two or three people are collaborating on, or a document that needs multiple people to enter data for a single person to analyse or collect.

Within my own OneDrive, I'll share draft documentation or a file that needs input from one of my other support staff so that I can collect information for a project. This isn't necessarily true production work that we keep in our Technology Services Team, or in SharePoint, but it is needed to be able to do work.

Think of SharePoint as your Group or Department sharing, and OneDrive as your individual sharing option.

Pretty much it keeps from having drafts of files emailed back and forth or scattered in places where they may not be ready for a wider audience.

I have a client that is a nonprofit school and they share an old school building with Gulfport School District. Anyway, I've been volunteering my time to help upgrade their network...among other things. It was working beautifully but then a rouge DHCP server magically appeared out of nowhere one day and we lost connectivity to 2 classrooms.

For reference: My client is on a 192. network and the rouge DHCP Server is on a 10. network.

I started by tracing the cat 5 cable from point to point. The school has a drop tile ceiling and I found years of wiring that had been overlaid on top of each other. It was a mess. I used a toning probe and traced the cat 5 cable to a room that belonged to Gulfport School District. We didn't have access to this locked room.

We ended up having to call their IT dept and when he arrived he told me he had been segmenting (VLANS) the different networks and that it was probably something that he did that introduced the rouge DHCP server.

This guy was eager to show me how much he knew about networking and started asking me a lot of questions. He asked me if I knew what a VLAN was. Then he asked me about routing protocols. I told him that I knew about all of that and gave him a brief explanation. He then took me into their server room and showed me a 64-port HP switch.

I don't want to make this story too long but here's what I learned from the guy. He was Cisco certified but said that Gulfport School District moved away from Cisco routers and switches because of the cost and instead used HP. He said that HP switches basically emulated Cisco and were similar in terms of command line. He also said something about HP's warranty being better.

In the end we got it all straightened out but it involved me having to run a lot of new cat 5.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 08-18-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Apparently you can host a website on the tor network (darknet), and you don't need to set up port forwarding, how cool is that.

I've got an old laptop, may give it a go sometime
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Someone gave me a Raspberry pi model1b. Using the official graphical desktop, it's so slow as to be unusable.

So I installed the lite version without desktop, getting tor working was simple.
    i put a DARK WEB website on a Raspberry Pi!! - YouTube
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

For any kind of desktop use of a Pi, you need at least a Pi 3. Anything earlier than than should only be used for the original purpose of an embedded system.

I have some time so here's some random thoughts on networking.

First, I still consider myself very inexperienced and needing to learn more. But now my eyes are wide open. When I started, I was completely in the dark with no direction.

IMHO, the word "networking" encompasses so much information until isn't almost meaningless. I mean, are we talking about servers, switches & routers, virtual machines, ect., ect?

It seems like I've covered a lot of ground since starting this journey back in November. I've set up a server from scratch, installed active directory, created a file server and granted the access level that the customer desired. For good measure, I also set up a file server on SharePoint and all that covers.

I've installed security systems and did port forwarding to allow the customer to view cameras remotely.

And then I've studied the hell out of Cisco routers & switches. (vlans, inter-vlans, routing protocols, ect.)

Before I go any further, I'd like to thank everyone that's helped me along the way. You know who you are. Yes, even bsm2 helped me along the way.

I've done stuff that I never dreamed about doing. Yet, I've only been doing this for 10-months, so you can imagine that I'm far from an expert. There are no shortcuts when it comes to learning this. This journey will take years.

I leave on this note. I always read rthonpm's posts and many times I'm left wondering what the hell he's talking about. Hopefully I get there one day.
    Growth is found only in adversity.