Page 23 of 139 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I was going deeper than that, I just used a bad example. Let me try again.

Lets say some rouge agent is handing out duplicate addresses. I want to find all devices on the same IP address and I want to find the source that's handing out the rouge IP addresses. What's the best way to do that?
    I had an account who was a county water agency. The county had setup a VPN so that the county's IT administer the network and county level administrators could log in and check aspect of operation. There were 3 addresses assigned for the VPN to use. When the county stopped providing IT support for various agencies the water agency with county approval hire a local IT individual but the county failed to inform him of the VPN. When we installed a new color MFP he unknowingly gave us an IP address that was one of the VPN addresses. I won't call the VPN a rouge agent but it did lead to an eventual IP conflict.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I had an account who was a county water agency. The county had setup a VPN so that the county's IT administer the network and county level administrators could log in and check aspect of operation. There were 3 addresses assigned for the VPN to use. When the county stopped providing IT support for various agencies the water agency with county approval hire a local IT individual but the county failed to inform him of the VPN. When we installed a new color MFP he unknowingly gave us an IP address that was one of the VPN addresses. I won't call the VPN a rouge agent but it did lead to an eventual IP conflict.
    I know this is a bit off topic, but I had a similar situation.

We once set up a Canon color machine (a large CLC model, back in the late '90s) in a major newspaper's graphics department.

The IT person was nice, but a total noob. He called his boss for the IP address to use, but said boss was "too busy" to get him one, and Mr. Bossman shrugged it off.

Mr. Noob gave us an IP address to put in, and it worked nicely.

We (I was training a new guy) trained the key op, and left, not knowing that the IP address was for the main file server.

Needless to say, that totally fubarred the network, but it took a while to determine that. Our pagers both went crazy about an hour after we left. Mr. Bossman was able to quickly determine the duplicated IP address. He unplugged the Fiery from the network, in a heartbeat.

We were told that had it been found much later than it was (something like 30 minutes) that there would not have been a paper printed for the next day. I can only image what that would have cost. Yikes!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ok techs use their laptops to fix it issues
    Good techs use the customers computers
    Great techs walk the customer through the fix over the phone

I am ok to good.... but I have met great... they are sharp cookies
    Last edited by n25an; 11-28-2020 at 04:59 AM.
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

A few days ago I got my wireless network card and router and I've been playing around with them since. Here's what I've learned;

-It's one thing to read about what you can do but it's much better to actually do it for real.
    -I now understand what the hell is going on with wireless and ethernet connection.

Lets start with wireless. I was thoroughly confused a couple of week ago at a clients office because he had a 2 wireless routers on 2 different networks and a wireless PC and he was able to access the internet from both routers. Turns out as long as you have the same gateway on both routers, that's all you need. Nothing else is required. Simple enough but it had me confused.

Also, I set 2 routers up on 2 different networks and 2 printers on 2 different networks and by having 2 different IP addresses on my computer's NIC, I can print to both printers on the different networks. You can also have 2 different IP addresses on your wireless NIC card and do the same. I have to thank Ken for that information. It's kinda cool.

That's it for now.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 11-29-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    A few days ago I got my wireless network card and router and I've been playing around with them since. Here's what I've learned;

-It's one thing to read about what you can do but it's much better to actually do it for real.
    -I now understand what the hell is going on with wireless and ethernet connection.

Lets start with wireless. I was thoroughly confused a couple of week ago at a clients office because he had a 2 wireless routers on 2 different networks and a wireless PC and he was able to access the internet from both routers. Turns out as long as you have the same gateway on both routers, that's all you need. Nothing else is required. Simple enough but it had me confused.

Also, I set 2 routers up on 2 different networks and 2 printers on 2 different networks and by having 2 different IP addresses on my computer's NIC, I can print to both printers on the different networks. You can also have 2 different IP addresses on your wireless NIC card and do the same. I have to thank Ken for that information. It's kinda cool.

That's it for now.
    One thing to check on client pc if can't print or scan to pc is does pc have a hard wire and wireless turned on.

Always use the hardwire connection faster
    Disable the wireless

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    One thing to check on client pc if can't print or scan to pc is does pc have a hard wire and wireless turned on.

Always use the hardwire connection faster
    Disable the wireless

You're right and I'm aware of that. At this last job the customer's computers were all wireless. No ethernet connection. I explained to him that ethernet was faster and more reliable and he told me that the ethernet cords looked messy and he didn't want that. I said whatever. I didn't really say that to him but that's what I was thinking. lol

I'm seeing wireless in more and more offices. Some have wireless access points all over the place. They just don't want a wired connection and they don't understand anything.

Edit: In a lot of older buildings there are no ethernet jacks in the wall and the customer isn't gonna pay to have them run. So their solution is to go wireless. Doesn't cost much money and they don't have to run ethernet cords along the floor/walls/ceiling or whatever. What they don't understand is that wireless is slower and sometimes unreliable.

In my quest to learn routers my curiosity got the best of me and I discovered there are home routers and then there are enterprise routers. And there's a BIG difference between the two. Some of the Cisco Enterprise Routers are very complicated and a person would need to spend a lot of time just learning them. I think they have complete certification courses for just the router. I know this is something I will never use, so why do I find myself wanting to learn it? You can pick some up on Ebay pretty cheap. They're not the latest and greatest but they're good enough to learn on in a home lab. I probably don't need to go there.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Excellent video on traceroute here, in fact all of his video's are really good.

Traceroute (tracert) Explained - YouTube
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Excellent video on traceroute here, in fact all of his video's are really good.

Traceroute (tracert) Explained - YouTube

Dude, I watched that exact video last night. LOL

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Why this thread rating isn't Excellent
    I vote now!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.