Page 51 of 139 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Correct. In fact you can use MFP HDD to scan to folder and map it as drive to client PC.

It never even occurred to me to try that.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Correct. In fact you can use MFP HDD to scan to folder and map it as drive to client PC.
    That’s really easy and convenient, but only some makes and models support this. I wish more did.

I can say for sure that Ricoh never has.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    That’s really easy and convenient, but only some makes and models support this. I wish more did.

With Ricoh you can scan to the Document Server as a pdf and then use WIM to copy it to your computer. I actually had a customer show me that on a MP C2550.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    With Ricoh you can scan to the Document Server as a pdf and then use WIM to copy it to your computer. I actually had a customer show me that on a MP C2550.
    Hey, Slim, refresh my memory...Didn’t that require the (much misunderstood) file format converter option in the copier?

The file format converter is an actual circuit board, with no external inputs or outputs. It is not software or firmware.
    Last edited by KenB; 01-11-2021 at 12:05 AM.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Hey, Slim, refresh my memory...Didn’t that require the (much misunderstood) file format converter option in the copier?

The file format converter is an actual circuit board, with no external inputs or outputs. It is not software or firmware.
    On some models yes. But not on all of them. If I remember correctly the only time we sold a machine with a file format converter board was wide format laser where the customer needed to scan to scan to pdf. I also seem to remember something about seeing more than the first page of a document in WIM. On many models the file format converter board used expansion slot slot on the controller. So you couldn't use it if you had one of the following interfaces installed:
    IEEE802.11
    IEEE 1284
    Blue tooth
    Gigabyte Ethernet

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Originally Posted by tsbservice

Oki, Toshies, and Canons do. Here is the problem though. We tried this on a college campus several years ago and the mfp hdd became a storage place for mp3s by a student on campus. Another customer had their pc's locked down so tight we offered this as a solution. You scan to the mfp's hdd (mapped drive) and then pull it into your pc and delete off of mfp. Worked great except one sob was afraid that someone would grab her scans between the time she left the mfp to walk to her desk 20 feet away. I would think in an office like that you would have other issues of trusting fellow employees than worrying about network security. Eventually sales walked away from that one. They would not allow smb, ftp, or email scans because of security fears. The only way left was to map a drive to the mfp. So the one sob stopped the sale. If she was so afraid of it, she should have gotten a usb scanner to use for herself.

Kyocera and others offer "Beacon" software for scanning like pin-point scan. I really think this is what the industry is going to. I think these programs offer additional network traffic that IT doesn't care for though.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Originally Posted by tsbservice

Oki, Toshies, and Canons do. Here is the problem though. We tried this on a college campus several years ago and the mfp hdd became a storage place for mp3s by a student on campus. Another customer had their pc's locked down so tight we offered this as a solution. You scan to the mfp's hdd (mapped drive) and then pull it into your pc and delete off of mfp. Worked great except one sob was afraid that someone would grab her scans between the time she left the mfp to walk to her desk 20 feet away. I would think in an office like that you would have other issues of trusting fellow employees than worrying about network security. Eventually sales walked away from that one. They would not allow smb, ftp, or email scans because of security fears. The only way left was to map a drive to the mfp. So the one sob stopped the sale. If she was so afraid of it, she should have gotten a usb scanner to use for herself.

Kyocera and others offer "Beacon" software for scanning like pin-point scan. I really think this is what the industry is going to. I think these programs offer additional network traffic that IT doesn't care for though.
    Another possible solution would be password protected folders and documents. If you do not know the password then you cannot access the document/folder.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

On Konicas you actually save documents in user boxes on machine HDD. You can password protect user boxes, you can make many user boxes, you can set auto delete time as low as 5 minutes to Do Not Delete.
    The downfall is limitation of 200 documents per user box so you have to set auto delete time very carefully depending on how many scans user make.
    Last edited by tsbservice; 01-11-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

One last comment on mapped drives as it relates to a copier.

Ken is correct that you can't share a share. I mistakenly thought I was successful at doing this. In reality, what I did was create a sub-folder (not shared) in the mapped drive named "scan". I then set up SMB on the copier and changed the network path to include the sub-folder: \\Server1\(name of mapped drive)\(name of sub-folder).

I was then able to create a shortcut on the desktop of the client's PC to the scan folder.

Hope that made sense.

Note: In order to do this you must have the username and password of the Domain Admin because you need it when setting up SMB on the copier as the folder is on the server.

I thought I had mapped drives figured out about a dozen times only to find out I didn't quite understand.

At the end of the day a mapped drive is nothing more than a shared folder that is mapped back to the server. Period. Or another computer/device but you get the point.

The main thing I've been interested in is how does it work for SMB scanning. Here's the deal. The domain admin needs to create the mapped drive. We don't need the domain's username or password. All we need are the following:

1. Find the network path of the mapped drive. That's simple.
    2. The local admin username and password.

I've done all of this on my computer lab. That's it. It's that simple. I complicated the fu*k out of it.

As I'm getting more familiar with Server19, I'm getting into the fun stuff.

I created a new mapped drive and this time I redirected the entire desktop to the new mapped drive. What was the purpose of this? This means that any user can log in to any PC on the domain and his/her desktop is available to them. In fact, I can redirect all the data on their PC so that when they log in to any PC on the domain it's there for them.