Page 53 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'll admit that I'm addicted. However, this won't be for only a learning tool. I'm tapped out on storage space on my PC and my backup drive is full. I also have other computers here at the office and it'd be nice to set them up on a domain.

I really want to buy this server but I REALLY REALLY don't want to pay $2100. I'm gonna see if I can talk him down on the price. If not, I'll look for a better deal. Most servers that I've seen don't come loaded with all the memory and hard drives like this one.
    If you main reason is disk storage space, have you considered a NAS? 9TB usable for $600 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-TeraS...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If you main reason is disk storage space, have you considered a NAS? 9TB usable for $600 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-TeraS...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks. I have considered it. But I really want a server. I admit that I WANT one more than I NEED one.

I also think if I get the right one it's something I'll use more as time passes. I also want all the RAM and processing speed to run a bunch of virtual machines.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thanks. I have considered it. But I really want a server. I admit that I WANT one more than I NEED one.

I also think if I get the right one it's something I'll use more as time passes. I also want all the RAM and processing speed to run a bunch of virtual machines.
    As someone else suggested, you might try building your own. If possible check with near by state college and university computer science department for recommendations. You will most likely find that many of them have built their own servers in their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    As someone else suggested, you might try building your own. If possible check with near by state college and university computer science department for recommendations. You will most likely find that many of them have built their own servers in their homes.
    that was me Slim,

you can come out way better building it piece by piece .

does he need a dual CPU setup?

what speed.?

I have some old school

PII Xeon processor

400MHz 512kb L2 cache w/ ecc

BILLYC.. if you can find a motherboard to build your server..

pay shipping from NC and it's yours

PM for further details

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    that was me Slim,

you can come out way better building it piece by piece .

does he need a dual CPU setup?

what speed.?

I have some old school

PII Xeon processor

400MHz 512kb L2 cache w/ ecc

BILLYC.. if you can find a motherboard to build your server..

pay shipping from NC and it's yours

PM for further details
    Phil,

That's an incredibly kind offer and I really appreciate. The guy at the company that had the other server called me back a few minutes ago and offered to sell me a Dell PowerEdge R710 2U Server with X5650 2.66GHz 12-Cores / 64gb / 3x 1TB SAS / 2xPSU for $259.00 and I bought it.

Phil,

That's an incredibly kind offer and I really appreciate. The guy at the company that had the other server called me back a few minutes ago and offered to sell me a Dell PowerEdge R710 2U Server with X5650 2.66GHz 12-Cores / 64gb / 3x 1TB SAS / 2xPSU for $259.00 and I bought it.

good deal

I need to say something. I started not to because I talk too much as it is. But....

What Phil offered for FREE really touched me. There's a long list of folks on here that have gone out of their way to help me in one way or another. While this place isn't perfect, I've seen NO OTHER PLACE LIKE IT. Period.

I've done a huge amount of taking since I've been here. Learned so much. The acts of kindness have been overwhelming. Some like to criticize this place and that's their right. But where else can you learn so much about copiers and networking? Not a damn place that I know of.

I need to say something. I started not to because I talk too much as it is. But....

What Phil offered for FREE really touched me. There's a long list of folks on here that have gone out of their way to help me in one way or another. While this place isn't perfect, I've seen NO OTHER PLACE LIKE IT. Period.

I've done a huge amount of taking since I've been here. Learned so much. The acts of kindness have been overwhelming. Some like to criticize this place and that's their right. But where else can you learn so much about copiers and networking? Not a damn place that I know of.
    hey man.. it' sitting around collecting dust..along with an 800gb ide..couple 400gb.. plenty of 80/40gb and plenty smaller.

I too have learned a lot.. and I feel that besides money I have lent info and tips.

yeah I can be a rough ass, but I was raised not to take shit from anybody, and when I know I'm right.. will fight tooth n nail.

got to be that way.. didn't grow up in a 'pansy' environment.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with GNS3? GNS stands for Graphics Network Simulator and it was developed by Cisco. I won't go into great detail, but I want to use it to simulate real world situations with routers, switches, servers, ect.

The problem is that it uses up a lot of computer resources and most computers (unless it's a very high end computer) aren't capable of running it. Which brings me to my next question: I've been reading about Microsoft AZURE and cloud computing. Basically what you're doing is renting a server on the cloud. It's pretty exciting stuff from what I've read. Again, I won't go into great detail but I was wondering if anyone has ever used it and if there's anything you could share with me?
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 03-27-2021 at 01:20 PM.