Page 84 of 139 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Port forwarding can be a nightmare, especially if the restaurant is using consumer equipment or has a consumer ISP contract instead of a business account, which would give them a static IP. I've played around with this a little bit, but the easiest solution was talking the customer into paying the extra money for business service from their ISP.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Port forwarding can be a nightmare, especially if the restaurant is using consumer equipment or has a consumer ISP contract instead of a business account, which would give them a static IP. I've played around with this a little bit, but the easiest solution was talking the customer into paying the extra money for business service from their ISP.

After I agreed to do the job, the lady asks if I could set up remote viewing from her phone so that she could view the cameras from home. I knew it could be done but had never set it up. I didn't know what I was getting into when I told her that I'd get it done for her.

Yesterday, I started researching the subject. I had heard of port forwarding but didn't know anything about it. I also didn't know that most consumer ISP's hand out a Dynamic IP address. So, even if I forward the ports to the IP address, the cameras would stop working when the Dynamic IP address changed from the ISP.

The solution was to use a Managed DNS Provider What they do is update the IP address every 10-minutes and resolve it to the new DNS name that I created on their free service. I used a company called: NO-IP. See link: https://www.noip.com/

I practiced on my own ip cameras until I figured it out. It was a bitch but I think I could do it again without all the mistakes. At least now I can look at my cameras no matter where I am. It's pretty damn cool.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I've used NoIP before and their service is really good in terms of DDNS, and the cost is very reasonable. The main issue I've found is at the ISP level where some don't allow home customers to do port forwarding.

Keep in mind the security aspect as well: unless there's a good authentication mechanism, you are potentially putting their cameras on the public internet for anyone to see, or at least be able to query as an open port through Shodan or some more nefarious service which could open them up to any kind of attack since most of the cameras I've seen out there rarely get any kind of security updates, or have some kind of hardcoded credentials in them.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post

The solution was to use a Managed DNS Provider What they do is update the IP address every 10-minutes and resolve it to the new DNS name that I created on their free service. I used a company called: NO-IP. See link: https://www.noip.com/
    I use no-ip as I run a sftp server from an android tv box with an app called "dynamic dns update" to make corrections if my ip changes. Their free service is excellent despite having to confirm the hostname every month.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Every couple of weeks I have to take a break from the CCNA course. It really takes a level of dedication to learn all the topics and it will get to you after a while and you'll be forced to take a break to maintain your sanity.

I've completed 35% of the class on theory and lectures. I've completed 15% of the course on configuring the switches and routers. I have spent so many hours learning and I'm gonna need to spend a lot more before its done. It really does take extreme dedication. There are times where I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. But I have to trust the process. It's brought this far.

Route Summarization continues to give me headaches. Oh, I have the mathematical formula down. That's not the problem. The problem is being able to look at a diagram of a network and understanding where to apply route summarization and knowing what interface on the router to advertise it on.

Further complicating matters is that Packet Tracer doesn't support the "ip summary-address" command for rip. It only supports the command for EIGRP.

Yesterday, I talked about "port forwarding" on a router. For those of you who are familar with this, you know it can be difficult if you've never done it. Multiply that x 100 and that's how difficult route summarization is for me. Hey, I'm close to getting it down. Just a couple of more hours and I should have it.

I've been using a free program from Cisco called Packet Tracer. It was easy to set up and you could start configuring routers and switches almost right out of the box. But it has limitations. As I got into the more advanced features on routers & switches, those limitations became more than just an annoyance. It was preventing me from doing my lab exercises.

At the same time I learned about Packet Tracer, I also learned of a simulation program called: GNS3. They said it very difficult to set up so I just went with packet tracer. GNS3 is much different from packet tracer.

GNS3 works by using real Cisco IOS images which are emulated using a program called Dynamips. ... With this GUI, users get an easy to use interface that allows them to build complex labs consisting of a variety of supported Cisco routers.

I spent the better part of yesterday getting it set up. It's fantastic. I love it. The only downside is that I had to pay Cisco $199 to download their IOS images.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I've been using a free program from Cisco called Packet Tracer. It was easy to set up and you could start configuring routers and switches almost right out of the box. But it has limitations. As I got into the more advanced features on routers & switches, those limitations became more than just an annoyance. It was preventing me from doing my lab exercises.

At the same time I learned about Packet Tracer, I also learned of a simulation program called: GNS3. They said it very difficult to set up so I just went with packet tracer. GNS3 is much different from packet tracer.

I spent the better part of yesterday getting it set up. It's fantastic. I love it. The only downside is that I had to pay Cisco $199 to download their IOS images.

Hi Billy a bit offtopic.
    I understand we are ageing comunity here...well maybe mostly. What I don't undrestand is why you have to use such a big font
    Please consider editing your post ultimately here is not RR&EE forum where shouting is normal practice
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Hi Billy a bit offtopic.
    I understand we are ageing comunity here...well maybe mostly. What I don't undrestand is why you have to use such a big font
    Please consider editing your post ultimately here is not RR&EE forum where shouting is normal practice

The default font for this site looks too small to me when viewing from a PC. And that's mainly what I'm on when I come to this site. On a phone it's too large. I'll compromise with you and find something in the middle. LOL

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The default font for this site looks too small to me when viewing from a PC. And that's mainly what I'm on when I come to this site. On a phone it's too large. I'll compromise with you and find something in the middle. LOL
    On your PC you can zoom in or out. Ctrl + to zoom in, Ctrl - to zoom and Ctrl 0 to return to 100%.