Page 98 of 139 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I have some time so here's some random thoughts on networking.

First, I still consider myself very inexperienced and needing to learn more. But now my eyes are wide open. When I started, I was completely in the dark with no direction.

IMHO, the word "networking" encompasses so much information until isn't almost meaningless. I mean, are we talking about servers, switches & routers, virtual machines, ect., ect?
    A more apt industry term would be 'Connectivity' and when it comes to this industry that means more rabbit holes than Nevada scrubland. It used to be simple print and scanning with standard protocols but now there's the Cloud, Security, and Apps. The age of the geek has arrived and Professional Services are 'money in the bank' profits for dealers who can engage in it. That means having someone good enough that you can charge for their services.

As you have seen, you learn by doing and have to become an expert when the technology is presented because you never know what they'll hit you with next. The best answer to any question you can't answer is "I don't know but I'll find out" and that means being a lifelong learner which you have done, so hats off to ya!

Business Solutions are fun and challenging so you have to like puzzles too 'cause it's like that.

I leave you with a couple mnemonics to remember the OSI networking model:

Please Do Not Throw Service Profits Away
    Please Do Not Take Sales Peoples Advice

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

I want to preface this point by saying that I don't have a current need to do this but rather this is a learning exercise.

Here's the (made up) scenario. There's an office in Orlando, Tampa and Miami. There's a Kyocera MFP at each location. The central windows server is at the Miami office. I want all of the copiers to scan to a shared folder at the central server in Miami.

What's the best/correct way to do this? I have an idea but not 100% sure. I'm looking for an in-depth explanation if possible. Thanks.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I want to preface this point by saying that I don't have a current need to do this but rather this is a learning exercise.

Here's the (made up) scenario. There's an office in Orlando, Tampa and Miami. There's a Kyocera MFP at each location. The central windows server is at the Miami office. I want all of the copiers to scan to a shared folder at the central server in Miami.

What's the best/correct way to do this? I have an idea but not 100% sure. I'm looking for an in-depth explanation if possible. Thanks.
    One option, assuming that they are using the same ISP at all three locutions, id to let the ISP set up a secure WAN for them. If the ISP offers fiber connections, all the better and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One option, assuming that they are using the same ISP at all three locutions, id to let the ISP set up a secure WAN for them. If the ISP offers fiber connections, all the better and faster.
    Thanks slim. From my understanding these are the most likely options:

a.) WAN
    b.) VPN
    c.) cloud

I'm more interested in the first 2 for learning purposes.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    For any kind of desktop use of a Pi, you need at least a Pi 3. Anything earlier than than should only be used for the original purpose of an embedded system.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    This one is more fun command line, I have learned a lot and the best part is power consumption, it's running from a Samsung 5 volt 2 amp fast charger, so the power is there if it's needed, but it's running at less than 2 watts !
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

For better or worse, I've decided to concentrate on setting up a Remote Access/Virtual Private Network.

First I had to figure out exactly what this is and how to set it up.

First things first. A VPN basically extends your private network over the internet. There are some considerations to take into account when setting this up....like upload speed at the central location. This could cause a bottle neck effect. Also, I'm gonna have to learn about "split tunneling."

In closing, I also need to find out what security concerns I should be aware of.

Should be a good learning experience.

PS - There are 2 kinds of VPN's:

a. Site-to-Site
    b. Remote Access

I'll need to read up more on both.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

For better or worse, I've decided to concentrate on setting up a Remote Access/Virtual Private Network.

First I had to figure out exactly what this is and how to set it up.

First things first. A VPN basically extends your private network over the internet. There are some considerations to take into account when setting this up....like upload speed at the central location. This could cause a bottle neck effect. Also, I'm gonna have to learn about "split tunneling."

In closing, I also need to find out what security concerns I should be aware of.

Should be a good learning experience.
    VPN is the easiest method for this since it takes out a lot of things that you can't really simulate like ISP agreements, fibre runs, etc.

Overall, VPN is really just a PKI setup and routing rules:

Make sure your VPN IP range(s) are separate from the corporate IP ranges (helps with auditing who's connecting from where)
    Do NOT use TCP with VPN: you'll want the 'unreliability' of UDP for this type of connection
    If you're working with an AD environment with an internal PKI infrastructure, use that to issue the TLS certs for the VPN connection

Your real fun will be with getting the routing and port forwarding right.

For your SMB example, if you really want to get adventurous try implementing DFS into a Windows environment, which allows you to spread a share over multiple servers in different locations. DFS Namespaces overview | Microsoft Docs

I've only done it once for a customer that had offices in two different cities and wanted to move away from two servers hosting often out of date copies of the same data for each office like their previous IT support had setup. Since then, they've moved to online resources, but it got them over a challenge for several years and DFS still has a place in some environments for things like HR or Engineering data that you wouldn't want online, or could be too large to pull from the net.

VPN is the easiest method for this since it takes out a lot of things that you can't really simulate like ISP agreements, fibre runs, etc.

Overall, VPN is really just a PKI setup and routing rules:

Make sure your VPN IP range(s) are separate from the corporate IP ranges (helps with auditing who's connecting from where)
    Do NOT use TCP with VPN: you'll want the 'unreliability' of UDP for this type of connection
    If you're working with an AD environment with an internal PKI infrastructure, use that to issue the TLS certs for the VPN connection

Your real fun will be with getting the routing and port forwarding right.

For your SMB example, if you really want to get adventurous try implementing DFS into a Windows environment, which allows you to spread a share over multiple servers in different locations. DFS Namespaces overview | Microsoft Docs

I've only done it once for a customer that had offices in two different cities and wanted to move away from two servers hosting often out of date copies of the same data for each office like their previous IT support had setup. Since then, they've moved to online resources, but it got them over a challenge for several years and DFS still has a place in some environments for things like HR or Engineering data that you wouldn't want online, or could be too large to pull from the net.

As always, that's for the insight. What's a PKI setup?

PS - I'm watching a video about IPsec. Basically what to does is:

1.) Encrypt (security)
    2.) Data integrity (reliability)

PSS - You have a broad range of knowledge, dude.

Here's the video on IPsec if anyone is interested:

I almost missed this nugget. I'm glad that I re-read your post. This is nuts. I love it. Gotta learn how to do this.

Reference:

DFS Namespaces overview
    01/21/2021
    5 minutes to read

Applies to: Windows Server 2022, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008

DFS Namespaces is a role service in Windows Server that enables you to group shared folders located on different servers into one or more logically structured namespaces. This makes it possible to give users a virtual view of shared folders, where a single path leads to files located on multiple servers, as shown in the following figure: