Page 102 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1384
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

I'm many hours into learning OSPF. I've learned that when it comes to learning this stuff that time becomes irrelevant. In other words, it takes how ever long it takes.

I've got it down as far as what I need to know to make it work. I'm now working on learning the finer points of OSPF and what makes it tick. Complicated business but I've learned to just relax.

I would explain some of it but I don't think it would make any sense to anyone so that's that.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

One of the great features of OSPF is that it is scalable and works for a small or production network. But things start to change on the routers when we're dealing with a production network. Let me see how I can explain and it still make sense.

Lets compare a production router to the navigation system in our car. If we enter a street that's only a few miles away, there's not that many paths to get there so the CPU doesn't have to work that hard. But if we enter an address that's 3000 miles away, there's a lot more paths that must be computed.

It works the same way for routers. If you have 100 routers, there are many paths to be calculated and it could bog down the processor.

The solution is to segment (logically) the routers into areas thus each router only has to calculate a small number of paths.

That's the simplified explanation.

I've cleared my schedule for the entire weekend starting right now and I hope to lab up my most challenging network topology ever. This lab will involve setting up 10-15 routers and separating them by zones. This particular topology is common in production networks.

You have the following:

a.) Backbone routers
    b.) Area Border Router
    c.) Autonomous System Border Router

Each of those 3 types of routers serve a different role in a production network.

If I study around the clock for the next 2 days, I should be able to lab it up and getting to work. We shall see.......

Several hours have passed since I started this study session. In order to become proficient on routers and switches, it's important to pay attention to the small stuff...better known as best practices. And it's these things that are cumbersome and time consuming. Skip one of these steps and you could get unexpected results.

The other thing that is time consuming is that in order to troubleshoot a problem on a router, we must know how to read the the routing table and other data via the show commands.

The other thing that's worth mentioning is that its necessary to understand all the theory that is being taught.

I just finished learning Metrics. For OSPF the metric that is used is cost.

Cost = reference bandwidth divided by interface bandwidth. (reference bandwidth/interface bandwidth)

I vastly over-estimated the amount of time it would take to learn OSPF and set up multiple zones. I did the lab and it all worked. I'm done with OSPF. Next up is VLANS and inter-vlans. I already know this because I took another online course when I started and later decided to switch over to the current CCNA course. I'll still go though it, though. Might learn something that I don't know.

I'm at the half way point in the CCNA course and I decided it was time to review. It's been several months since I looked at a lot of the material. I've kept meticulous notes and I've cataloged related videos that I've found on the web as well as printed material.

I feel very confident in my abilities as far as the stuff that I've covered. The CCNA test is a different matter. There's a lot of useless information on there that must be committed to memory. I'll work on that after I'm completely done with this online course.

Here's an example of some of the useless information:

Question: Who developed the OSI Model?

Answer: The ISO (International Standards Organization)

Who gives a fuck?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I'm at the half way point in the CCNA course and I decided it was time to review. It's been several months since I looked at a lot of the material. I've kept meticulous notes and I've cataloged related videos that I've found on the web as well as printed material.

I feel very confident in my abilities as far as the stuff that I've covered. The CCNA test is a different matter. There's a lot of useless information on there that must be committed to memory. I'll work on that after I'm completely done with this online course.

Here's an example of some of the useless information:

Question: Who developed the OSI Model?

Answer: The ISO (International Standards Organization)

Who gives a fuck?
    Attention to details.

Part of my review included subnetting.

Full disclosure: I've spent countless hours learning subnetting. I have devoted an inordinate amount of time to learning the best way to subnet and there are MANY formulas to get the job done. I worked at it so long that I think I mastered it.

Well, in my review of subnetting I learned that it's kind of like going to the gym....you have to go all the time to stay in shape. If you don't work at it regularly, you're gonna start to lose it.

Today I stumbled upon the greatest video ever for subnetting. Instead of using formulas, this one teaches you how to subnet in your head...no paper needed. I've just started to work on this but already I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I've been jacking around all day learning how to subnet in my head. This involved committing 3 charts to memory and then doing a lot of practicing. It was a lot of work but once you learn it, it's easier than any other way that I've tried.

Subnetting is a big part of the CCNA test and it doesn't hurt to know this stuff.

Studying for the CCNN exam is one of the most challenging things I've done in life. It's been extremely frustrating at times. Subnetting is near the top of the list when it comes to frustrating. If you've followed this thread, I've talked a lot about subnetting. There's a reason I talk about it a lot and that's because it's one of those foundational things when it comes to networking.

Subnetting is about more than just the number of usable hosts and IP addresses in a subnet. Understanding all of the 1's and 0's in a subnet mask helps when we have to deal with an Access List or a Wild Card Mask.

I can honestly say that I have mastered subnetting. I just went on a subnetting website that tests subnetting knowledge. I did 100 problems and got every single one right and did each one in 60-seconds or less.

I'll leave the link to the latest method I learned and the site where you can test your subnetting knowledge.

Test your knowledge: subnetting.net - Subnet Questions and Answers

Learn to subnet like a pro: