Page 105 of 139 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1384
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

I h ave found that the problem with Facebook today is that someone was making a change to a router table and made a mistake. Started sending everyone in the wrong direction. Facebook tech staff tried to correct it and ended up making it worse. At least that is the story that is going around Computer Sciences academia.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Facebook ended up taking all of its associated DNS entries off the core routers of the Internet. Then when they tried to roll back the change, the team couldn't do it because DNS names wouldn't resolve. Complicating matters further, onsite staff didn't have access to the servers to directly make the change at the console.

Taking down a production network is easier than you think!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I h ave found that the problem with Facebook today is that someone was making a change to a router table and made a mistake. Started sending everyone in the wrong direction. Facebook tech staff tried to correct it and ended up making it worse. At least that is the story that is going around Computer Sciences academia.

I'm sure that they were using some kind of routing protocol. That's gonna automatically pick the best (fastest) route. However, these routes can be manipulated by manually changing the "cost" of a particular route. Cost is sometimes changed for load balacing reasons. In other words, we don't want all of our traffic going down one path but rather it's better to have 2 paths balance the load.

And, yes, it'd super easy to take down a production network. Even though I'm learning this stuff, it's more for my own personal enjoyment. I woldn't want to do it for a job. Too much pressure.
    Growth is found only in adversity.

PS - Whomever took down that network will be in the unemployment line. Can you image being THAT guy?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    PS - Whomever took down that network will be in the unemployment line. Can you image being THAT guy?
    I reached out to a long time network engineer that I've known for years to ask his opinion on this. He admitted that this type of misconfiguration happens more often than most people think. The only difference in this case is that it was such a large company, and the split of duties didn't allow someone onsite to deal with the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    I reached out to a long time network engineer that I've known for years to ask his opinion on this. He admitted that this type of misconfiguration happens more often than most people think. The only difference in this case is that it was such a large company, and the split of duties didn't allow someone onsite to deal with the issue.

I've watched a ton of videos on this type of scenario where a switch or router is misconfigured. Most of the time the router/switch that's being configured is at a remote location and it's easy accidentally configure the wrong piece of equipment.

For the record, I also read that Facebook are building their own routers. At least some of 'em.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

To further complicate matters and delay getting them back up, the offsite personnel who had router access rights needed to go onsite to do so. When they arrived at location,their security ID badges were accepted by the scanners but access also required possession of a physical key for the mechanical lock(s). They had to contact the onsite people to get someone down to the door to let them in.

Spanning Tree is whack butt I've about got it down.

Spanning Tree is to used to prevent broadcast loops that can bring down the network. You don't have to worry about it if you've only got one connection from one switch to another.

Anyway, whomever came up with Spanning Tree is some kind of mad genius.

First a root bridge is elected. Than a root port. Then the designated ports are elected. It's quite the process and I'm glad I learned it. I still need to practice or I'll quickly forget.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

A little more on the Facebook outage. It seems that Facebook shot itself in the foot. Or to be more exact, the BGP, Border Gateway Protocol. It left them without a DNS to stand on. "According to Cloudflare—which has published an excellent explanation of what it saw—Facebook’s trouble started when its Autonomous System issued a BGP update withdrawing routes to its own DNS servers."

Facebook shoots own foot, hits Instagram and WhatsApp too - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    A little more on the Facebook outage. It seems that Facebook shot itself in the foot. Or to be more exact, the BGP, Border Gateway Protocol. It left them without a DNS to stand on. "According to Cloudflare—which has published an excellent explanation of what it saw—Facebook’s trouble started when its Autonomous System issued a BGP update withdrawing routes to its own DNS servers."

Facebook shoots own foot, hits Instagram and WhatsApp too - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs

I haven't covered BGP and I'm not sure if it's covered in the CCNA course. I briefly looked it up just now and the protocol is the only one that will route over the internet for huge networks. Without knowing how it works, it's impossible (for me) to understand what went wrong.