Page 1 of 139 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

I guess I'm posting this in the right forum.

Until about a year ago I knew NOTHING about networking. Now I know enough to get the copiers networked and I can set up scan to PC and email. But I have ran into a range of problems @ the customer's office and had to call someone else to solve the problem.

I haven't had much time to devote to networking because I've been busy learning other stuff. I think I'm ready to tackle to world of networking.

How did you guys get your training and are you satisfied with your abilities?

Are there any books or videos that you recommend? I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you.

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I guess I'm posting this in the right forum.

Until about a year ago I knew NOTHING about networking. Now I know enough to get the copiers networked and I can set up scan to PC and email. But I have ran into a range of problems @ the customer's office and had to call someone else to solve the problem.

I haven't had much time to devote to networking because I've been busy learning other stuff. I think I'm ready to tackle to world of networking.

How did you guys get your training and are you satisfied with your abilities?

Are there any books or videos that you recommend? I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you.
    A+ Networking Certificate: Program Summary

I used Testout to pass my CompTia network plus
    excellent program will have some black Friday deals.

Many free videos online.

Most of our work involves troubleshoot connection problems not installing networks or setting up servers etc....

Good video's on troubleshooting network to problems using ping command etc.....

Black Friday deals from other companies I will post
    I used Testout because they have simulation lab that teaches more than theory.

I posted some deals last year for a couple of other companies as well

Some Copy companies offer online training, I've been through Konica and Xerox, Xerox was the hardest by far and that was for every Main body tech. Konica training was very dated and was still teaching Windows XP at that time and not very good.

Also Konica gave you Zero credit for any other training you had. That sucked as you had to go through learning the copy process and paper basics like a rookie really STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    I used Testout to pass my CompTia network plus
    excellent program will have some black Friday deals.

Many free videos online.

Most of our work involves troubleshoot connection problems not installing networks or setting up servers etc....

Good video's on troubleshooting network to problems using ping command etc.....

Black Friday deals from other companies I will post
    I used Testout because they have simulation lab that teaches more than theory.

I posted some deals last year for a couple of other companies as well
    TestOut looks pretty good and they offer a free 7-day trial. I'll give it try. Thank you.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

To be honest to install a printer you don't really need to have advanced networking skills.

Set the copier to DHCP let it pick up an IP address download & install the driver most have a setup.exe simply run this it will find the printer & install it automatically.

To set up scan to email all you need to do is enter the SMTP details given to into the MFP same with SMB scan to folder customer IT will know the admin passwords you can have all the network training in the world but without these passwords you can't set anything up!

Most large companies have on site IT anyway.

Basically an end user can install a copier.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    To be honest to install a printer you don't really need to have advanced networking skills.

Set the copier to DHCP let it pick up an IP address download & install the driver most have a setup.exe simply run this it will find the printer & install it automatically.

To set up scan to email all you need to do is enter the SMTP details given to into the MFP same with SMB scan to folder customer IT will know the admin passwords you can have all the network training in the world but without these passwords you can't set anything up!

I have had 2 customers where scan to email was not possible due to concerns over corporate espionage concerns. One was a petroleum construction company. The other was the west coast proving grounds ground for Hyundai/Kia. Hyundai/Kia even had me disable scan to memory devices.

If your looking to get certification CompTia Network+ would be the one.

PDI+ was discontinued but it was for copier and laser printer.

I was lucky and got to take the Beta test and passed.

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

When I was learning to set up scan to PC I couldn't get it to work. Keep in mind I had never done it before. After a few long hours of frustration, I discovered that SMB was off. Major headache. I've run into so many unexpected problems in the field with things like firewall settings, router settings that need to be changed, ect. Not to mention crappy networks that weren't set up right.

I'm not looking to be a network guru but I believe that knowledge is power and the more you have the better. I like to sound and feel knowledgeable when I'm talking to an IT person or customer. Right now I don't feel that confident that I can fix a problem should it pop up.