Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Scan to folder problem

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Interesting.

Since I'm a rookie to all of this, I rely on the expertise of the more experienced members. I have a few comments and questions.

It's my understanding that SMB 1.0 is permanently disabled and cannot be turned back on. True or false?

I just went in powershell and disabled SMB 2.0 and scan to folder no longer worked. I expected that. I just wanted to see for myself as I had never disabled SMB 2.0 before.

Here's my last question. Is it the job of a copier company to learn every security program under the sun and make it work for the copier that's being installed?
    Not at all. Any decent security suite isn't going to automatically alter user settings. With Microsoft finally adding a more than sufficient AV into Windows 10 within five to six years there will be a big drop in consumer facing antivirus software, just like there was with firewalls after XP Service Pack 2 helped to kill those. Outside of enterprise environments where hundreds to thousands of endpoints need to be centrally monitored, antivirus software as we know it today is a dying breed.

SMB 1 can be turned back on, but in 2020 there should be no reason to keep a 30+ year old protocol turned on, especially with the security issues it opens up. SMB2 and SMB3 are still well supported, though we'll probably see SMB2 begin to be phased out in ten to fifteen years.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    These are the paranoia of the United States.
    Kaspersky is one of the best antivirus in Europe. Usually if it blocks scans it is because the folder is not secure (for example SMB 1.0). It doesn't usually block randomly.
    This is not solving a problem, it is trying to bypass the problem by asking the customer to remove a program that is inconvenient for you.

Thought I'd follow up on this. I believe Bix is correct. The reason Kaspersky is blocking SMB scan is because it saw the shared folder as unsecure. When we initially shared the folder we granted permission to "everyone" and it saw that as unsecure. The 2nd time around we granted permission only to the individual user and removed everyone.

Here are the instructions:

1. Create a folder, just as you would create a normal folder, in a location of your choice on the computer.
    2. Right-click the folder, and then click [Sharing and Security].
    3. On the [Sharing] tab, select [Share this folder].
    4. Click [Permissions].
    5. In the [Group or user names:] list, select "Everyone", and then click [Remove].
    6. Click [Add].
    7. In the [Select Users or Groups] window, click [Advanced].
    8. Specify one or more object types, select a location, and then click [Find Now].
    9. From the list of results, select the groups and users you want to grant access to, and then click [OK].
    10. In the [Select Users or Groups] window, click [OK].
    11. In the [Groups or user names:] list, select a group or user, and then, in the [Allow] column of the permissions list, select either the [Full Control] or [Change] check box.
      Configure the access permissions for each group and user.
    12. Click [OK].
    13. Select the [Security] tab, and then configure the access permissions.
      Add to the list the groups and users whom you want to grant access to, and then configure the access permissions for each. The procedure is the same as the procedure explained in steps 6 through 11.
    14. Click [OK].

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Thought I'd follow up on this. I believe Bix is correct. The reason Kaspersky blocking SMB scan is because it saw the shared folder as unsecure. When we initially shared the folder we granted permission to "everyone" and it saw that as unsecure. The 2nd time around we granted permission only to the individual user and removed everyone.

1. Create a folder, just as you would create a normal folder, in a location of your choice on the computer.
    4. Click [Permissions].
    5. In the [Group or user names:] list, select "Everyone", and then click [Remove].
    6. Click [Add].
    8. Specify one or more object types, select a location, and then click [Find Now].
    9. From the list of results, select the groups and users you want to grant access to, and then click [OK].
    11. In the [Groups or user names:] list, select a group or user, and then, in the [Allow] column of the permissions list, select either the [Full Control] or [Change] check box.
    12. Click [OK].
      Add to the list the groups and users whom you want to grant access to, and then configure the access permissions for each. The procedure is the same as the procedure explained in steps 6 through 11.
    14. Click [OK].
    You shouldn't use Everyone. It has to be local user who has read/write privileges to shared folder.
    You can even use script to automatically do this. I have one from user here(big thanks to mincopier).
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    You shouldn't use Everyone. It has to be local user who has read/write privileges to shared folder.
    You can even use script to automatically do this. I have one from user here(big thanks to mincopier).
    At the share level, you can select Everyone and then pare down through NTFS permissions. It's always best to use Modify as opposed to just read/write permissions on the folder.

Thanks for sharing

Thought I'd follow up on this. I believe Bix is correct. The reason Kaspersky is blocking SMB scan is because it saw the shared folder as unsecure. When we initially shared the folder we granted permission to "everyone" and it saw that as unsecure. The 2nd time around we granted permission only to the individual user and removed everyone.

4. Click [Permissions].
    6. Click [Add].
    12. Click [OK].
    14. Click [OK].

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Nice topic

I can relate to this as I recently had a similar problem. I was setting up a Ricoh multi function printer and the customer insisted on scan to folder even though I suggested using scan to email.

I followed all the normal settings and setup procedures but still couldn't get it to scan to folder. This placed me a difficult position because if the customer couldn't get the scan to folder he might not purchase the machine.

I then decided to have a look at windows security settings. Everything looked good. I was a bit baffled. Then I went and had a look at the antivirus. It was kapersky. I then checked the settings and changed it to allow access to MFP. Worked since then.

Strange thing is that the other PC in the office also uses kapersky and I didn't have this problem when doing the same settings.

Thanks for this forum and all you guys who commented. Some helpful information in there.

Scan to folder problem

Quote Originally Posted by KeviM View Post
    Nice topic

I can relate to this as I recently had a similar problem. I was setting up a Ricoh multi function printer and the customer insisted on scan to folder even though I suggested using scan to email.

I followed all the normal settings and setup procedures but still couldn't get it to scan to folder. This placed me a difficult position because if the customer couldn't get the scan to folder he might not purchase the machine.

I then decided to have a look at windows security settings. Everything looked good. I was a bit baffled. Then I went and had a look at the antivirus. It was kapersky. I then checked the settings and changed it to allow access to MFP. Worked since then.

Strange thing is that the other PC in the office also uses kapersky and I didn't have this problem when doing the same settings.

Thanks for this forum and all you guys who commented. Some helpful information in there.
    I just set up another Kyocera Taskalfa at a client's office that was using Kaspersky. Same situation as yours. On one computer it took about 5 minutes to get SMB scan to work. On another computer it wouldn't work because Kaspersky was blocking it. To confirm that was the problem I turned it off and all worked fine.

Moral of the story? If they're using Kaspersky be advised you're likely gonna have a problem with SMB.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder problem

I just set up another Kyocera Taskalfa at a client's office that was using Kaspersky. Same situation as yours. On one computer it took about 5 minutes to get SMB scan to work. On another computer it wouldn't work because Kaspersky was blocking it. To confirm that was the problem I turned it off and all worked fine.

Moral of the story? If they're using Kaspersky be advised you're likely gonna have a problem with SMB.
    Same is true with just about any security suite. The first time a scan is sent to the computer, the security suite displays a security alert asking whether you want to allow or block the attempt. If the computer user does not respond within a set time period, usually 1 or 2 minutes, it automatically blocks the action and any future attempts from the same source. You have to access the security suite with its admin password, search the security log for when the action was first blocked. You should be given the option of undoing the block. I have even seen McAfee block IP printing for the same reason.

Scan to folder problem

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Same is true with just about any security suite. The first time a scan is sent to the computer, the security suite displays a security alert asking whether you want to allow or block the attempt. If the computer user does not respond within a set time period, usually 1 or 2 minutes, it automatically blocks the action and any future attempts from the same source. You have to access the security suite with its admin password, search the security log for when the action was first blocked. You should be given the option of undoing the block. I have even seen McAfee block IP printing for the same reason.

You know I'm not gonna disagree with you. Hell, you and a few others taught me most of what I know in the networking thread.

Scan to folder problem

For anyone that has to deal with Kasperski in the future. Here are the instructions on how to exclude a shared folder for scanning.

Link below:

Kleos