Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Angry New MAC 11.0.1 OS

I updated my OS 10.15.7 to the new 11.0.1 so I can run tests before I jump onto a customers unit running the same OS. A few weeks ago one of my techs came across this OS at a customers office and couldn't find the ppd on the Ricoh site. I don't like surprises at the customers site and on their hardware. Well for starter if your using a laptop it causes the battery to die in a few hours even if its not being used. I use to let my laptop [MACBOOK PRO mid 2016] go days without turning it off or charging it with out a problem. You will also lose the network utility app. One of the suggestions on the MAC board was to sign out of iCloud and then re-sign in. This caused my iPhone contacts to repeat itself in some cases up to 6 times..

I can't believe Apple let this new OS out without testing it better. Unless you need this OS for reasons stated above I would avoid it like the plague.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    New MAC 11.0.1 OS

Re: New MAC 11.0.1 OS

I do not have an iOS device to work with but when I need a Mac device, I rent one in the Cloud for approx $22.00 per week from my Windows PC.

MacinCloud - Rent a Mac in the Cloud! - Mac in Cloud

It works via a VPN to their server.

I recommend you add the +4GB RAM, and the 50 GB SSD.

For first time users, there is a super cheap trial available for one week.

I usually rent the 10.15 Catalina version but 11.0 Big Sur is there if you need it.

It is not uncommon for Mac users to automatically accept any new iOS updates that come their way without really understanding the consequences and how it will affect the apps that they own and the devices that they will use.

iOS users can roll back Big Sur to Catalina if they want to.

Hardware manufacturers often lag three months or more behind any Mac updates before they can publish any new print drivers, etc.

I am of the general opinion that Big Sur is similar to Catalina in many ways.

I know for a fact that on Toshiba copiers, Catalina print drivers work on Big Sur A-OK.

As Big Sur was only introduced a month ago in Nov 2020, users who upgrade are definitely at the leading edge/ bleeding edge of new technology which often translates into heartache and billable Professional service hours to rectify any problems.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The reason for my post was to alert my fellow techs on the pitfalls of updating to the latest IOS if they are using a MAC laptop. In addition to the battery problem it will also kill the VM services. Bootcamp still works so I can still boot into W10pro without any problems.

Apple stopped allowing their updated IOS from being rolled backed a long time ago. As memory serves me it was at 10.10. As a tech who is asked to work on customers hardware i.e. adding ppd and scan to folder on new set-ups I needed to see what problems i might encounter. Better to test on my laptop then Brick a customers.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    New MAC 11.0.1 OS

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    The reason for my post was to alert my fellow techs on the pitfalls of updating to the latest IOS if they are using a MAC laptop. In addition to the battery problem it will also kill the VM services. Bootcamp still works so I can still boot into W10pro without any problems.

Apple stopped allowing their updated IOS from being rolled backed a long time ago. As memory serves me it was at 10.10. As a tech who is asked to work on customers hardware i.e. adding ppd and scan to folder on new set-ups I needed to see what problems i might encounter. Better to test on my laptop then Brick a customers.

Thanks for sharing. I have an IMAC and I upgraded to Big Sur for the same reason you did....I don't like surprises in customer's office. I don't have a MAC laptop so it's good to know about the problems that you found.

New MAC 11.0.1 OS

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    I do not have an iOS device to work with but when I need a Mac device, I rent one in the Cloud for approx $22.00 per week from my Windows PC.

MacinCloud - Rent a Mac in the Cloud! - Mac in Cloud

It works via a VPN to their server.

I recommend you add the +4GB RAM, and the 50 GB SSD.

For first time users, there is a super cheap trial available for one week.

I usually rent the 10.15 Catalina version but 11.0 Big Sur is there if you need it.

It is not uncommon for Mac users to automatically accept any new iOS updates that come their way without really understanding the consequences and how it will affect the apps that they own and the devices that they will use.

iOS users can roll back Big Sur to Catalina if they want to.

Hardware manufacturers often lag three months or more behind any Mac updates before they can publish any new print drivers, etc.

I am of the general opinion that Big Sur is similar to Catalina in many ways.

I know for a fact that on Toshiba copiers, Catalina print drivers work on Big Sur A-OK.

As Big Sur was only introduced a month ago in Nov 2020, users who upgrade are definitely at the leading edge/ bleeding edge of new technology which often translates into heartache and billable Professional service hours to rectify any problems.
    There may be a more affordable solution.

New MAC 11.0.1 OS

I had never added Mas OS to VMware because I have a mac, but I just did and it works great and cost nothing. There's not much to setting it up other than installing the latest version of MK unlocker.

New MAC 11.0.1 OS

I probably should also add that when I created Mac OS in VmWare that it's wasn't full screen and there was nothing I could do about it. But if you watch the video that I posted it shows you how to get full screen. Now it's much better.

See below:

macos.JPG

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

It's always best with Macs not to update MacOS right away. Waiting for at least a .2 release is usually the best plan. The last solid OS Apple did was OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), after that it's been a steady decline downhill.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    New MAC 11.0.1 OS

I Currently have 2 office mac minis I use at work. I Have a Mac mini 2012 with Catalina, and a Mac mini 2014 with Big Sur. Normally work on Konica Minoltas and so far printer drivers seem to work great even on older models. I still have testing to do to see if any weirdness. I tried Scan to smb and so far no go but been meaning to spend more time on it. In our area we don't have much Mac users but I usually advise to avoid updates for most of the reasons mentioned by some of you guys. I have ran into a user with the big sur update and seemed to work with a Bizhub c558 with account codes. Good luck guys!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    New MAC 11.0.1 OS

I sold two high speed A3 colour copiers today, one with Saddle Stitch booklet making capabilities, because I could prove OS 11.0 Big Sur compatibility to the customer.

The existing vendor could not. So, this is a real thing in customer's minds.

I fully agree with rthonpm's previous post. You should wait and stick with iOS 10.15 Catalina until iOS 11.2 arrives from Apple.