Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    No Wired Ethernet over laptop

Ok...
    laptop lattitdue e6410 dying in stages...
    I have desktop computers and other laptops... I know they work...
    so both wired and wireless connections work on them...

latitude e6410 started having issues...
    at first it would just shuttoff intermittently...
    went in the settings found power settings was set to shuttoff like right away... fixed that... still happened...
    changed power cord and brick... still happened... unplugged power cord and brick... checked battery... battery full... sending for a new battery and a refurb laptop anyway... on laptop I reduced cpu use to max 80 percent and set it to passive cooling... restarted laptop without power connection but with battery... at 90 percent power.... reconnected brick... no issues with power since...

wifi card started acting up... first windows 7 started losing settings for it...
    so I ran netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from command prompt and rebooted...
    that got wireless card to work somewhat...
    then I had to hard code the ip address and dns settings into the wifi card adapter... and it worked...

then the wired card stopped working... tried the same command prompt instruction... nothing... hard wired the settings in nothing... settings off by 1 so ip ends in 100 for wired and 101 for wireless... tried turning one of and the other on... would get home network for wifi with option to change it while public for wired with no option to change it... wired connection coming from switch connected to my router... moved network cable from laptop to desktop... no problems... moved it back... no internet on laptop... hardwired ip address in... no internet... ran netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and rebooted no wired internet on laptop then on adapter under ipv4 under advanced under wins unchecked lmhost and set default settings for netbios... then I got internet connection but no communication... still blank screen for google...

note... netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt will give you blank hard coded settings... once I repopulated them... everything worked for wired connection...

I think the original issue is either power... the brick or the actual connection on the laptop... memory... either one of my rams or the hard drive is failing... or overheating... gotta change fans and apply thermal paste...

I keep either losing some or all settings for wifi and wired connections intermittently... sometimes connections... sometimes drivers... do a quick check to see if anything changed and they are back... or run netsh command above and reboot and do stuff above... this happens after being on for 4 hours...

written in hopes my solutions might help someone and in hopes that someone will have an idea of why my laptop is dying... my money is on main board... but I welcome all ideas and opinions...
    Sad To Say I Don't Have a Life
    I do this stuff on the weekends too

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: No Wired Ethernet over laptop

Motherboard without a doubt.

The 6410 was a decent machine years ago, but its time has really come and gone. By now the solder and components are beginning to fail on almost all of the ones I still have out to support (mainly connected to equipment that's offline).

The Ethernet ports on these were easy to pull away from the motherboard, and most of the other ports were similarly flimsy.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Motherboard without a doubt.

The 6410 was a decent machine years ago, but its time has really come and gone. By now the solder and components are beginning to fail on almost all of the ones I still have out to support (mainly connected to equipment that's offline).

The Ethernet ports on these were easy to pull away from the motherboard, and most of the other ports were similarly flimsy.
    whats a decent laptop that I can get rufurbed... with equal or greater power than that model and around one hundred usd...???

See if you can find a ThinkPad X230. It may be over $100, but they're upgradable and pretty much bulletproof in terms of reliability. Perfect size for portability, the only downside is the resolution, which is below 1080.

I have the tablet variant as my service laptop. It's been a great machine for the last four to five years and still supports the latest version of Windows 10.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    See if you can find a ThinkPad X230. It may be over $100, but they're upgradable and pretty much bulletproof in terms of reliability. Perfect size for portability, the only downside is the resolution, which is below 1080.

I have the tablet variant as my service laptop. It's been a great machine for the last four to five years and still supports the latest version of Windows 10.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    that sounds good... I like the idea of the tablet... with the tablet are you locked to the os or can you put something like ubuntu on there???

The X230T isn't a traditional tablet: the display just rotates over the keyboard. You can install any variant of Linux you want (ThinkPads are well known for their Linux support). It has pen support, which is a bonus and comes in handy when you need to illustrate something to a customer.
    Either the traditional laptop version (X230) or the tablet variant (X230T) are great service machines.
    thinkpad-X230t-Convertible-Laptop-EOL.jpg

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n25an View Post
    Ok...
    laptop lattitdue e6410 dying in stages...
    I have desktop computers and other laptops... I know they work...
    so both wired and wireless connections work on them...

latitude e6410 started having issues...
    at first it would just shuttoff intermittently...
    went in the settings found power settings was set to shuttoff like right away... fixed that... still happened...
    changed power cord and brick... still happened... unplugged power cord and brick... checked battery... battery full... sending for a new battery and a refurb laptop anyway... on laptop I reduced cpu use to max 80 percent and set it to passive cooling... restarted laptop without power connection but with battery... at 90 percent power.... reconnected brick... no issues with power since...

wifi card started acting up... first windows 7 started losing settings for it...
    so I ran netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from command prompt and rebooted...
    that got wireless card to work somewhat...
    then I had to hard code the ip address and dns settings into the wifi card adapter... and it worked...

then the wired card stopped working... tried the same command prompt instruction... nothing... hard wired the settings in nothing... settings off by 1 so ip ends in 100 for wired and 101 for wireless... tried turning one of and the other on... would get home network for wifi with option to change it while public for wired with no option to change it... wired connection coming from switch connected to my router... moved network cable from laptop to desktop... no problems... moved it back... no internet on laptop... hardwired ip address in... no internet... ran netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and rebooted no wired internet on laptop then on adapter under ipv4 under advanced under wins unchecked lmhost and set default settings for netbios... then I got internet connection but no communication... still blank screen for google...

note... netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt will give you blank hard coded settings... once I repopulated them... everything worked for wired connection...

I think the original issue is either power... the brick or the actual connection on the laptop... memory... either one of my rams or the hard drive is failing... or overheating... gotta change fans and apply thermal paste...

I keep either losing some or all settings for wifi and wired connections intermittently... sometimes connections... sometimes drivers... do a quick check to see if anything changed and they are back... or run netsh command above and reboot and do stuff above... this happens after being on for 4 hours...

written in hopes my solutions might help someone and in hopes that someone will have an idea of why my laptop is dying... my money is on main board... but I welcome all ideas and opinions...
    Most likely the main battery is failing, but you have one on order.

Once these fail the CMOS battery will also fail this will causing random issues like you have & also loosing BIOS settings/date & time etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

I have one of these, it's very good when fitted with an SSD.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+x240&_sacat=0