Technician

Gmail less secure Apps and scanning

Hello everybody!
    Yesterday, when I was helping a customer to configure her gmail account to scan from a Mfp; I noticed a message in the "less secure Apps" section of the account configuration:
    Less secure apps will not be longer available in February 2021.
    So be aware of this because I know that there´s a lot of machines out there using corporative or free gmail accounts for scanning.
    Pd: sorry for my English.

Happy Holidays !

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Re: Gmail less secure Apps and scanning

Quote Originally Posted by martinar View Post
    Hello everybody!
    Yesterday, when I was helping a customer to configure her gmail account to scan from a Mfp; I noticed a message in the "less secure Apps" section of the account configuration:
    Less secure apps will not be longer available in February 2021.
    So be aware of this because I know that there´s a lot of machines out there using corporative or free gmail accounts for scanning.
    Pd: sorry for my English.

Happy Holidays !
    I just checked myself and it only seems to be for G Suite accounts, so it looks like you should still be okay if you use a free Gmail account. And if the customer is using a G Suite account all they need to do is add an app password. So it is a pain but hopefully if they have a G Suite it will just be a quick call saying to create an app password and use that as the new auth password on the copier. In a perfect world maybe.

Also just noticed this, it looks like they are suspending this until further notice and will give everyone at least 12 months notice before doing anything

Google Workspace Updates: Less secure app turn-off suspended until further notice
    "As a result, we are suspending the LSA turn-off until further notice. All previously announced timeframes no longer apply. Please be reassured that when we restart the turn-off timelines, you will still have a 12 month window from that start date to review and complete your migration."

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Gmail less secure Apps and scanning

Check under Connectivity/ Two Factor Authentication for a more detailed discussion of the same issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Hi, I hope it won't be tragic. I have read that it will be replaced with this:

x1.jpgx2.jpg