Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Chrome OS Advanced Printing Features (Kyocera)

We're a Kyocera dealer. Chromebooks seem to be getting more and more popular with certain customers. It's only a matter of time before I come across a customer who has a chromebook, and needs to be able to staple, has user codes, or use other advanced features.

I see there's a way to select a PPD file but have been unsuccessful finding a compatible PPD file. Kyocera's own website states there are PPD files available for certain models, but I'm guessing they're talking about the one that is built into Chrome OS. There is no download link for a Chrome OS PPD.

Models supporting Chrome OS | Support & Download | KYOCERA Document Solutions

So, has anyone found a way to enable advanced printing features for Kyocera products on Chrome OS? Is there a PPD File that's hidden that I'm just not finding on their website? If not, is Google intentionally making it difficult or impossible to support these functions? I see CUPS printing from Chrome OS has been available for quite a while now. You'd think Kyocera would have created something by now.

Thank You!

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: Chrome OS Advanced Printing Features (Kyocera)

I know they are working on a native printing app that does not use the cloud but few details from the articles I have read.
    I always say that a Chromebook is a web browser with a laptop attached to it. Our remote and MPS software do not run on Chrome OS either and try to avoid these whenever possible. They are great for watching cats videos, not for day to day business use.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Chrome OS Advanced Printing Features (Kyocera)

Start by repeating the line about them being web browsers. My go to description is that they are just android cell phones with less resolution, cpu, ram, support, and general functionality.
    Then they can make this face

But seriously don't they have access to the appstore? Meaning the Kyo phone app? I haven't messed with the app much but I would go with the working assumption that the app is all you are going to get for an indefinite amount of time.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I don't know if this helps, but PPDs (PostScript Printer Definition)s aren't platform specific. They are actually platform agnostic.

Many times I have used the PPD for a printer that was part of the Windows PS driver installer in Mac, UNIX and Linux, and it worked properly.

If you don't know which exact PPD to use (as a lot of times there will be several printers to choose from when installing), set up the driver in Windows, and print a test page. That page will tell you the name of the PPD it uses for your exact model.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins