Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Label Printers

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Label Printers

Label Printers

Has anyone tried any kind or size of labels from SmithCorona.com - Thermal Labels at the World's Lowest Prices ?

Label Printers

Re: Label Printers

I learned a new thing this week while working with a high volume seafood producer.

When printing on Tags, which are like labels but with no adhesive or backing paper, where there is a lot of pre-printed text on the back side, any label printer is more likely to jam. Tags are often made of a polyvinyl material to resist moisture and damage.

There is no actual jam in the printer, it is just that the printer has become confused.

Most tags have black timing marks on the back side so that the media sensor will know when one tag stops and the next tag begins. These black timing marks are usually printed right on the perforations which makes it easy to separate the tags.

Sometimes there is so much text on the backside of the tag that the media sensor cannot distinguish between the black timing mark and the pre-printed black text especially when printing at high speeds.

Therefore, one has to consider the design and spacing of the preprinted text before re-ordering more tags.

Fortunately, for better quality label printers, there is usually a built in software counter-measure known as a"Threshold Adjustment" that helps the printer better identify the black timing marks.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Label Printers

Yup, SC was an online competitor of ours at my old gig. Ok labels, just issues with their direct thermal products and the print fading way sooner than the expected shelf life. If I remember correctly their priced better and are of better quality than Uline. If you have any questions in regards to label printers and equipment shoot me a message. I supported thermal transfer and inkjet label applications for 14 years lol. Anything from jewelry tag units, to self applicating systems. to food compliance labeling.

JC

Label Printers

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind! View Post
    Yup, SC was an online competitor of ours at my old gig. Ok labels, just issues with their direct thermal products and the print fading way sooner than the expected shelf life. If I remember correctly their priced better and are of better quality than Uline. If you have any questions in regards to label printers and equipment shoot me a message. I supported thermal transfer and inkjet label applications for 14 years lol. Anything from jewelry tag units, to self applicating systems. to food compliance labeling.

JC
    Excellent! I specialize in Toshiba label solutions for the last 10 years.

25 years ago I use to work for Smith Corona selling typewriters so I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

I always lead with Thermal transfer.

Toshiba is not a player when it comes to colour inkjet printing I like the Epson line.

What are your thoughts on using sheet labels in a colour copier for convenience label printing?

For example, I am proposing a new Toshiba colour A4 copier to a local Coffee shop. They need a new copier.

They bag their own coffee and resells the finished product with colour labels on each paper bag. Volume is not large enough to justify $2.5k on a dedicated colour label printer like an Epson LC3500.

You can buy sheet labels up to 8.5 x 14" media stock so that you can get 12x 4"x4" labels on one sheet for one colour click. $0.080.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Label Printers

It really depends on application and environmentals conditions the label will be subjected too. Laser labels work good in dry non humid conditions. Anything that would be subjected to moisture I would go with a BOPP film/label with a pigment based inkjet for this. You always want to go with pigment based inks as opposed to dye based whenever water fastness is a possibility. Just FYI, alot of the smaller desktop inkjets will cost $$$ per label printed. This is where the larger inkjets such as the epson colorworks line, while having a larger initial investment, have a lower cost per label output. Afinia Label also make some smaller inkjet units, like their L301 Home >> Afinia Label - Make Your Own Labels : Afinia Label – Make Your Own Labels . Let me know if this helps out or if you need any further info!

JC

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Excellent! I specialize in Toshiba label solutions for the last 10 years.

25 years ago I use to work for Smith Corona selling typewriters so I have a bit of a soft spot for them.

I always lead with Thermal transfer.

Toshiba is not a player when it comes to colour inkjet printing I like the Epson line.

What are your thoughts on using sheet labels in a colour copier for convenience label printing?

For example, I am proposing a new Toshiba colour A4 copier to a local Coffee shop. They need a new copier.

They bag their own coffee and resells the finished product with colour labels on each paper bag. Volume is not large enough to justify $2.5k on a dedicated colour label printer like an Epson

You can buy sheet labels up to 8.5 x 14" media stock so that you can get 12x 4"x4" labels on one sheet for one colour click. $0.080.

Label Printers

Quote Originally Posted by Rewind! View Post
    It really depends on application and environmentals conditions the label will be subjected too. Laser labels work good in dry non humid conditions. Anything that would be subjected to moisture I would go with a BOPP film/label with a pigment based inkjet for this. You always want to go with pigment based inks as opposed to dye based whenever water fastness is a possibility. Just FYI, alot of the smaller desktop inkjets will cost $$$ per label printed. This is where the larger inkjets such as the epson colorworks line, while having a larger initial investment, have a lower cost per label output. Afinia Label also make some smaller inkjet units, like their L301 Home >> Afinia Label - Make Your Own Labels : Afinia Label – Make Your Own Labels . Let me know if this helps out or if you need any further info!

JC
    The environment is normal indoor retail, so yes dry and non humid. The labels are plain paper attached to paper bags.

I am proposing a toner based, plain paper copier. The labels will not be high volume. BOPP film would not be a supported media in this copier.

There is some concern that the label adhesive might build up on the paper feed rollers over time but the rollers are easy to replace and inexpensive.

This customer is an Apple iOS business using 10.14 Catalina. The Toshiba copier I am proposing, there is a print driver for Catalina.

The customer is a five hour drive away with a local hardware service provider. I plan to interact with the customer via TeamViewer.

The label printing industry does not seem to be especially supportive of iOS.

I did find a very low cost iOS label design software called Swift Publisher. I downloaded a free trial and it seems to do everything required.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The environment is normal indoor retail, so yes dry and non humid. The labels are plain paper attached to paper bags.

I am proposing a toner based, plain paper copier. The labels will not be high volume. BOPP film would not be a supported media in this copier.

There is some concern that the label adhesive might build up on the paper feed rollers over time but the rollers are easy to replace and inexpensive.

This customer is an Apple iOS business using 10.14 Catalina. The Toshiba copier I am proposing, there is a print driver for Catalina.

The customer is a five hour drive away with a local hardware service provider. I plan to interact with the customer via TeamViewer.

I did find a very low cost iOS label design software called Swift Publisher. I downloaded a free trial and it seems to do everything required.
    Good luck to your local service provider. I hate labels.

Label Printers

I was reviewing the specs today of the new to me Canon LX-D5500 color label inkjet printer. $8,500.00 MSRP competing directly against the Epson ColorWorks D-7500.

The brochure made an interesting claim.

"Inkjet label printers are simply more efficient than thermal ribbon printers by how they use ink. While thermal transfer ribbons use an entire area of ribbon, including the parts which are not used, Inkjet printing is efficient and only uses ink on the parts to be printed. Not only is this more efficient by reduces waste, but it allows for faster
    print speeds allowing for increased productivity. Regardless of the size and design of the label, thermal ribbon printing consumes the ribbon even if sections aren’t used or printed on. Because Inkjet label printers only use the necessary ink for each the label size and design, it is more economical and reduces waste. Moreover, since the printed
    information will not be recorded on ribbons, it keeps sensitive information safe, whereas thermal ribbons need to be discarded which can leave customer, client and company information exposed."

... in part because it is not true. Toshiba label printers have a feature called Ribbon Save, which automatically lifts te printhead and does not advance the ribbon when white spaces are encountered. A Toshiba industrial black only label printer is approx 1/6th the cost of either the Canon or Epson product.

... the last part of the Canon claim was interesting as well. Used thermal transfer ribbons can pose a security risk when not securely disposed on in specific applications because the reverse image is still viewable by the eye.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Label Printers

Have you looked at Muritec? They have some awesome label makers. Even have models that can custom cut odd shaped labels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Label Printers

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Have you looked at Muritec? They have some awesome label makers. Even have models that can custom cut odd shaped labels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    this is one :
    PLS-2112F - Muratec America

PLS-5150F - Muratec America

they do have larger units ...