Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Auto Grab Driver and User Codes [MAC] [IMC 2500]

Hello, all. I've been looking into a request from a client concerning quickly adding an IMC 2500 using print codes to a MAC. The client has said that in another office using a Konoka Minolta their Agents are able to just walk in and add the printer.

To my knowledge and experience it usually requires manually downloading the PS driver and adding the printer via IP (As not all MACs in all environments detect printers via Bonjure). Is there some setting I'm unaware of to allow the MACs to detect and grab the correct driver without defaulting to Airprint? At least in that case I can streamline my instruction packet to just be the various drivers peculiarities about adding Print/Job codes. To my knowledge the driver has to be in a database which the MAC access, it doesn't just go out and perform advanced search and add actions over the general internet.

Thank you for reading and replying.

Note:
    1) The Agents at the site I am working with do not have uniformly updated MACs; they appear to be personal devices.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Auto Grab Driver and User Codes [MAC] [IMC 2500]

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Hello, all. I've been looking into a request from a client concerning quickly adding an IMC 2500 using print codes to a MAC. The client has said that in another office using a Konoka Minolta their Agents are able to just walk in and add the printer.

To my knowledge and experience it usually requires manually downloading the PS driver and adding the printer via IP (As not all MACs in all environments detect printers via Bonjure). Is there some setting I'm unaware of to allow the MACs to detect and grab the correct driver without defaulting to Airprint? At least in that case I can streamline my instruction packet to just be the various drivers peculiarities about adding Print/Job codes. To my knowledge the driver has to be in a database which the MAC access, it doesn't just go out and perform advanced search and add actions over the general internet.

Thank you for reading and replying.

Note:
    1) The Agents at the site I am working with do not have uniformly updated MACs; they appear to be personal devices.
    Yes on any mac you can simply add a printer without downloading a driver. Go to the system preferences then printers & scanners, simply click the + button & the MAC will add the printer via Bonjour.

However the best method to add a printer via IP after first downloading & installing the PS driver.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You need to go to Ricoh's driver page, download the PPD installer for the IM C2500 and load it to each of the Mac computers. The PPD installer is used to install a PPD (Postscript Printer Description) file on Mac OSX. PPD files contain descriptions of printer capabilities such as paper sizes, number of input trays and duplexing. Once the PPD file is installed on the system using the PPD installer, the PS driver that comes bundled with Mac OS X can use the information in the PPD to control the print device and enable full functionality. Please see the Readme file for information about compatibility with versions of Mac OS X.

The KM representatives at the other location most likely installed the KM PPD installer or they are using a compatible builtin Mac printer profile.

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

As Slim said, you have to download proper PS driver for you apple computer. Otherwise, MAC will defaulty use [Airprint(S)] where possible, or native GenericPS. Non of these drivers are capable of using User Codes.
    Go to download section and find the Mac OS driver down the page IM C2000/C2500 Downloads | Ricoh Global

After that you can follow KB How do I enter a user code on Mac OS X v10.5 (custhelp.com)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Thank you for the responses. Many are stating that the driver needs to be manually installed. Ideally, yes I agree. I did leave instructions for their agents with images to install and add job codes for the previous and more recent OSX; attached below for reference. This however has not been able to be followed due to a "Step not existing on their MACs". As mentioned the agents at the other site are able to "Walk in and print with no problems", it is stated that Print Codes are at this other site. This leads me to look into how the MACs automatically locate drivers/software that are not purely Airprint.

The actions slimslob has stated of installing the driver on each individual MAC it something I'd normally do, however I cannot be there every time a new agent arrives. From what I've been able to research so far is that the MACs keep a database that it updates when a software update is performed or certain installs. This can be a function of Bonjure Printing for the MAC. Perhaps I am going down a client rabbit hole at this point trying to simplify the procedure and figure the ins and outs of MAC.

Thank you for your continued patience CTN members.

Add Printer to MAC V3.pdf

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Most of the newer OSX/IOS devices can use native airprint as long as the copier/printer has this feature. I have been called before for a customer that was printing some documents from her phone, and left.....machine never finished receiving the data and was stuck waiting for two days!

lol

JC

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On Ricoh machines with updated firmware AirPrint is enabled by default. To my knowledge AirPrint does not support the use of User Codes. If they must use User Codes you will need to download the PS PPD from Ricoh as mentioned. If this is a new install the previous machine might have been setup to have a User Code at the machine but not for the print driver. For the phone Ricoh does have the Ricoh Connector on the appropriate App store that supports the use of User Codes. Not as straight forward as AirPrint but it uses the codes and print can be charged back to the user.