Thread: MS Office 365

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MS Office 365

MS Office 365

Customer will in the future work with documents in the cloud. Provider is seemingly offering MS Office 365 but their information about how is sparse.

My basic question: Will it be possible to work with .docx and .xlsx synchronous from two different computers, one in the office, one outside the building with a laptop. Would MS-Onedrive be obligatory or could other cloud providers offer the same?

What will happen when "the office" is working on an Excel sheet and at the same time "the laptop" tries to work on the same excel sheet. Is one of them locked out until the other has logged off? Same question for .docx documents.

Thanks

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MS Office 365

Re: MS Office 365

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Customer will in the future work with documents in the cloud. Provider is seemingly offering MS Office 365 but their information about how is sparse.

My basic question: Will it be possible to work with .docx and .xlsx synchronous from two different computers, one in the office, one outside the building with a laptop. Would MS-Onedrive be obligatory or could other cloud providers offer the same?

What will happen when "the office" is working on an Excel sheet and at the same time "the laptop" tries to work on the same excel sheet. Is one of them locked out until the other has logged off? Same question for .docx documents.

Thanks

Hans

Yes, the customer simply logs on to 0365 on their laptop where ever they are in the world. They can access all their Word, Excel & Outlook files etc.

This is what 0365 is designed for, cloud.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

MS Office 365

Thanks guys. The fear the customer and myself had was that - especially - the Excel sheets gets corrupted when two are using that sheet at the same time.

Hans

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Yes it will work but I recommend using the online web version of shared excel sheet when working together with colleagues at one time than rather syncing via onedrive desktop app. Desktop office will have the lag and quite not allowing to use one document for more people at one time

MS Office 365

Thanks Marvin (cute cat btw you have...)
    So Office 365 will do it and take care for all things regarding this I do not understand yet?

Hans

Product specialst support marvin-vegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks Marvin (cute cat btw you have...)
    So Office 365 will do it and take care for all things regarding this I do not understand yet?

Hans

Yes, There are two ways how to collaborate among colleagues on one document by using OFFICE cloud document:

1) web based appliacation
    - uses web browser to access cloud site - there can be numerous users opening the same document at one time. You see exactly where your colleague is standing with his cursor, what is he adding, editting etc
    - itīs program with almost same functionality as the desktop app. Itīs online, accurate but may be a bit slower. Depends on your computers, internet connection etc.
    - synced in real time!

2) Desktop app
    - you need to have installed office package with MS onedrive, MS excell, MS Word, etc
    - works a bit faster and it supports all macros and functions
    - it is not really online - it is rather offline. It is syncing document within automatic intervals or manual SAVE procedure. If any of your colleagues change the document while you are working on it as well at one time, it tends to merge changes into one.
    - basicialy it is syncing with larger lag and since OndeDrive sync service on your desktop is not real-time = itīs push service, sometimes letting you wait minutes to accept changes to one file, it is not recomended to use it when you need to collaborate with your colleague at one time.

You can use both, choosing upon which funcitons and features you prefere.

If you work on some long term documents, which only you edit and others only read, feel free to use desktop since it is the most confortable app you can have.
    If you need to work at manual with your colleagues, all members of team are responsible for different part of document and all of you need to work together simultaneously, I strongly recommend to use the WEB based online app. To avoid any problems when you made changes and your colleagues do not see that.

Try by yourself

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Yes, the customer simply logs on to 0365 on their laptop where ever they are in the world. They can access all their Word, Excel & Outlook files etc.

This is what 0365 is designed for, cloud.
    As long as the documents are saved in a cloud location such as OneDrive or SharePoint. If they're sitting on a share drive in the office or on the local drive of their other machine, they won't have access to them.

What we've done for all of our company computers is re-direct people's Documents, Desktop, and Pictures folders to folders in their OneDrive with the same names. This way, they can work from any company computer and have all of their files available to them, and also don't have to worry about losing them to a drive failure or other issue with a computer.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk