Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows server 2019 kicking out printers on local workstations?

Had an issue with an IT-Bloke. The problem is his people are often forgetting to remove the tick in the check box for duplex printing. Than the customer is calling me that "Your machine is behaving weird" it prints duplex for every print.
    Since I have no access to their server I installed on the local workstations a local print driver with all settings as it should be and the customer was happy.

However, the IT-Chap told me that that is useless since the Windows Server 2019 would kick those local printer drivers out.
    My question: Is it correct that the server can remove the print driver from a local workstation? Never heard of this.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Windows server 2019 kicking out printers on local workstations?

Yes with group policy.
    You should ask the IT guy to configure the drivers maybe ask him to create 4 printers to farm out.
    1/ mono simplex
    2/ mono duplex
    3/ colour simplex
    4/ colour duplex

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You should be able to go into into Preferences from File - Print and turn 2-Sided Printing Off when sending a job to the printer. Unless the IT person is using a driver that has been modified by PDE or Print Driver Packager NX with operator options disabled.

Possible but unlikely because you were able to install the printers locally to begin with.
    If the network was setup with GP restrictions you should not have been able to install a local printer.
    Wait to see if that's the case.
    Good Luck

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Had an issue with an IT-Bloke. The problem is his people are often forgetting to remove the tick in the check box for duplex printing. Than the customer is calling me that "Your machine is behaving weird" it prints duplex for every print.
    Since I have no access to their server I installed on the local workstations a local print driver with all settings as it should be and the customer was happy.

However, the IT-Chap told me that that is useless since the Windows Server 2019 would kick those local printer drivers out.
    My question: Is it correct that the server can remove the print driver from a local workstation? Never heard of this.

Hans

If the drivers were downloaded on the server and launched to every PC, then those settings will be applied. You need to get with IT and tell him to turn off duplex.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Possible but unlikely because you were able to install the printers locally to begin with.
    If the network was setup with GP restrictions you should not have been able to install a local printer.
    Good Luck
    i dont think i have ever had a server installed shared printer that didnt allow the users to modify the print preference defaults

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    i dont think i have ever had a server installed shared printer that didnt allow the users to modify the print preference defaults
    The only time I have seen it is when Print Driver Packager NX has been used to specific driver settings to be used by specific user groups to be deployed through Group Policy.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi,
    If you want a direct answer to your question - then the answer is no.
    Windows Print server (role) can't remove print queue or printer driver from the local workstation. Even more, it can not add printer. Print queue and driver is added or removed to/from a workstation by GPO, scripts, various third party tools and etc.

In case a client is using a server hosted print queues, you can suggest that it-chap configure Printing Defaults... to suit the majority of users needs. If someone needs a different configuration, they will be able to change that in Printing preferences...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Good Luck
    It is not the responsibility of copier service technicians to be messing around with Windows Server 2019.

Unless you were given the Admin Username and password, unlikely, I am not sure how you were able to install any print driver.

It is one thing to screw up an individual PC loading a print driver but the liabilities of screwing up a server are many times.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    It is not the responsibility of copier service technicians to be messing around with Windows Server 2019.

Unless you were given the Admin Username and password, unlikely, I am not sure how you were able to install any print driver.

If you're talking about Domain Admin rights, you don't need that to install drivers locally nor do you need them if a mapped drive is set up. You do need local admin rights and if they want the drivers installed, they're gonna have to give them to the tech. Or the customer needs to log in as a local admin.

bsm2 is right. The fact that he was able to install the drivers means that he was logged in as a local admin and had the proper rights to install software on that PC. I don't think the server would kick the drivers off the PC. Or like bsm2 said...it's not likely.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 02-23-2021 at 01:56 PM.