Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: ODB-II

  1. #11
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    ODB-II

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,170
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    So were you doing chip tuning an remapping work?
    If so what map editing software did you use?
    Which hardware did you use to get the map file from the ECU?

    What sort of ODB trouble shooting hardware would you recommend?
    Modifying the chips (software) was never my thing. Back in the day I had a friend who had a 1987 Buick Grand National (very fast car from the factory) and he was able to get a lot more horsepower from the engine by modifying the software. I think it's a pretty common thing now days but again, I've never done it.


    As far as scanning tools go....Snapon makes some good ones. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I'm cheap so I would look on Ebay. They can get VERY expensive.

  2. #12
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State QLD.
    Posts
    3,522
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I also have a cheap code reader. For the most part, the data was not terribly useful to me. Like the error codes on the Canon iPF's, the errors often has absolutely nothing to do with the specific cause.

    I remember diagnosing a vacuum issue on my 1974 Torino ... I was just standing there scratching my head (not that unusual ...), and smoking a cigar, and I blew the smoke into the engine compartment. Wasn't I surprised when the smoke found it's way straight of the side of the carburetor, where there was a loose hose!!?? Wouldn't it have been something if I had known that was the thing to do?
    =^..^=
    Years ago we had a small 4 cyclinder Ford. It lost a vaccum hose around the intake manifold. The engine would idle rough.
    I happened to notice a small vacuum hose sitting off it's fittng an put it back on. Viola, fixed the problem...
    What if we could count the stars... , what number would you stop at...?"
    [Exchange manual acquisitions, PM's CTN members only. ]
    [] |N | | o | M | Δ | t | π | | x | []

  3. #13
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    ODB-II

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,170
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I also have a cheap code reader. For the most part, the data was not terribly useful to me. Like the error codes on the Canon iPF's, the errors often has absolutely nothing to do with the specific cause.

    I remember diagnosing a vacuum issue on my 1974 Torino ... I was just standing there scratching my head (not that unusual ...), and smoking a cigar, and I blew the smoke into the engine compartment. Wasn't I surprised when the smoke found it's way straight of the side of the carburetor, where there was a loose hose!!?? Wouldn't it have been something if I had known that was the thing to do?
    =^..^=

    One good way to find a leaking head gasket or intake manifold gasket is to spray carburetor cleaner around the gaskets and if there's a leak the motor will idle higher for a a second or 2 because of the octane boost.


    Or you can buy an expensive smoke generator and that will find the leak.

    Spraying soap and water will usually find a cracked vacuum hose. The soap will bubble up.

  4. #14
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    ODB-II

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,170
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: ODB-II

    Or you can build your own smoke generator. A smoke generator can be invaluable for finding an air leak.



  5. #15
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ODB-II

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    19,245
    Rep Power
    350

    Re: ODB-II

    The cigar cost me $2, and I enjoyed it for 60 minutes. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  6. #16
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    ODB-II

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,170
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The cigar cost me $2, and I enjoyed it for 60 minutes. =^..^=




    But that cigar isn't gonna find most leaks. For one, the motor is running and the fan is gonna blow the smoke all over the place and it's just not gonna find most leaks. Using a smoke machine the motor isn't running and it's gonna find any leak no matter how small or hidden.

    Using a smoke machine, the smoke comes out of the hose or leak, it's not being sucked in.

  7. #17
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ODB-II

    blackcat4866's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    19,245
    Rep Power
    350

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post



    But that cigar isn't gonna find most leaks. For one, the motor is running and the fan is gonna blow the smoke all over the place and it's just not gonna find most leaks. Using a smoke machine the motor isn't running and it's gonna find any leak no matter how small or hidden.

    Using a smoke machine, the smoke comes out of the hose or leak, it's not being sucked in.
    I see. Thanks. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

    blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

  8. #18
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    ODB-II

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,170
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: ODB-II

    If anyone wants to see just how valuable a smoke machine is, watch this video. Go to about the 4 minute mark.




  9. #19
    Retired 10,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,122
    Rep Power
    376

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Here's a question for the car guru's.

    We're all familiar with the motor pulling vacuum. (when a vacuum hose comes off the engine will run rough as hell??!!)


    Trivia question: When does a motor pull the most vacuum?

    a.) when the motor is at idle?
    b.) when you're traveling down the road at 75 mph?

    Don't cheat by using google.
    Engine speed has nothing to do with vacuum. It is more dependent on throttle and choke position. An extremely dirty air cleaner can also cause vacuum to rise. The vacuum line from the intake manifold or base of the carburetor to the distributor provides vacuum advance to compensate for throttle position.

  10. #20
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    ODB-II

    BillyCarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Posts
    4,170
    Rep Power
    143

    Re: ODB-II

    Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Engine speed has nothing to do with vacuum. It is more dependent on throttle and choke position. An extremely dirty air cleaner can also cause vacuum to rise. The vacuum line from the intake manifold or base of the carburetor to the distributor provides vacuum advance to compensate for throttle position.

    Read what I said again, I didn't say engine speed was the cause for less vacuum. I asked when a motor pulled less/more vacuum and gave 2 scenarios.



    more vacuum = less air present. (idle) The motor is sucking cause the TB or butterflys are closed. less air = less fuel.

    Less vacuum then more air present (driving down the road)and more fuel then needed then more power.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here