Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ODB-II

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

ODB-II

Is there any body here on Copytechnet who plays around with vehicle computer On Board Diagnostics (ODB 1-2)?
    I'm interested in learning a bit more about the map files an eeprom encoding inside the vehicle computers.
    I would like to know of other peoples experience with map file editing software like ECM-Titanium, WinOLS etc...

Neo...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: ODB-II

I have cheap Chinese OBD 2 adapter and use Torque Pro and FORScan to help with some very basic troubleshooting of my cars. FORScan can be used to program some vehicle parameters also. That said I have close to zero knowledge about fuel maps remapping but used to work with one great tech who now does for a past decade chip tunning and remapping.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    ODB-II

Working on a vehicle today is much like working on a copier. The onboard computer will throw a code which is read by diagnostic tool (code reader) but, like a copier, it requires a firm understanding of how things work if you're gonna pinpoint the problem. Many times the code will only guide you to a general area.

The main reason for having an onboard computer in a car is for gas emissions. A lot of folks think it's to get the best fuel mileage. That's not the case. It's mainly for CO2 emission. That's not the sole purpose but it is the main reason car manufactures started using an onboard computer. It's the only way car manufacture's could meet government guidelines for emission control. MAP sensors, C02 sensors, ect. all have to do with with burning off gas fumes in the catalytic converter.

I was working on a friends car a while back and I noticed the Fuel Trim was way off. There were a couple of codes stored on the computer that indicate a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor. There was nothing wrong with the sensor. The problem turned out to be the leaking gasket on the intake manifold which cased too much air to pass thru the Mass Air Flow sensor.

It's an interesting field but wouldn't want to do it for a living.

EDIT: I bought a 2015 Cadillac XTS a few years back and it's crazy the technology in that car. It has sensors in front, side and rear of the car that can tell when a vehicle is too close and the drivers seat will vibrate to let you know. Also, if you cross the center line of the road, the seat will vibrate on the left cheek of your ass. If you cross the line on the opposite side if the road, the seat will vibrate the right cheek of your ass. That took a while to get used to. lol
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 03-06-2021 at 11:55 AM.

ODB-II

Here's a question for the car guru's.

We're all familiar with the motor pulling vacuum. (when a vacuum hose comes off the engine will run rough as hell??!!)

Trivia question: When does a motor pull the most vacuum?

a.) when the motor is at idle?
    b.) when you're traveling down the road at 75 mph?

Don't cheat by using google.

ODB-II

Here's the answer:

Your motor doesn't pull vacuum when you're going down the road. If your engine ever runs rough when it's at idle but levels off once you're going down the road, you can almost rest assure that unregulated air is being pulled in the system from somewhere - it could be vacuum hose that come off or a blown intake manifold gasket. In today's vehicles, all incoming air is read by sensors, so if you have an air leak, that is considered "unregulated" air.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I have cheap Chinese OBD 2 adapter and use Torque Pro and FORScan to help with some very basic troubleshooting of my cars. FORScan can be used to program some vehicle parameters also. That said I have close to zero knowledge about fuel maps remapping but used to work with one great tech who now does for a past decade chip tunning and remapping.
    I use Torque Pro and a cheap chinese OBD2 adapter to bluetooth the vehicle interface data back to an andrlod tablet.
    There's a load of data coming back from the interface stream. I'm still learning to use the custom charts/graph function to make informed choices about the vehicle operation.
    I would like to remap and chip tune some of the operations of the vehicles. I'm only interested in remapping for fuel ecconomy.

ODB-II

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I use Torque Pro and a cheap chinese OBD2 adapter to bluetooth the vehicle interface data back to an andrlod tablet.
    There's a load of data coming back from the interface stream. I'm still learning to use the custom charts/graph function to make informed choices about the vehicle operation.
    I would like to remap and chip tune some of the operations of the vehicles. I'm only interested in remapping for fuel ecconomy.

If you're really serious about doing this kind of thing, move away from the cheap diagnostic tools and get a good one. You'll save yourself a lot of time and headaches. They can get on the expensive side, but they're worth it.

Also, I spent countless hours on the internet and youtube learning this stuff. Everything you need to know about cars is readily available on the internet...and MORE.

I got so caught up in learning this stuff that I finally had to put it down because, while interesting, it's not something I plan on doing for a living.

PS - A good car scanning tool will give you known problems associated with the trouble codes and "tech bulletins" from the manufactures. I don't think they call them tech bulletins (I forget) but you get the point...

ODB-II

This is a little off topic so forgive me.

When I wanted to learn networking or how to use WireShark or car engines, there were a million videos that explained it in great detail.

When I wanted to learn about a particular problem on a copier.....you can't find shit on the internet. No articles. No videos. No nothing. Except for this site. Copier information is a closely guarded secret.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    If you're really serious about doing this kind of thing, move away from the cheap diagnostic tools and get a good one. You'll save yourself a lot of time and headaches. They can get on the expensive side, but they're worth it.

Also, I spent countless hours on the internet and youtube learning this stuff. Everything you need to know about cars is readily available on the internet...and MORE.

I got so caught up in learning this stuff that I finally had to put it down because, while interesting, it's not something I plan on doing for a living.

PS - A good car scanning tool will give you known problems associated with the trouble codes and "tech bulletins" from the manufactures. I don't think they call them tech bulletins (I forget) but you get the point...
    So were you doing chip tuning an remapping work?
    If so what map editing software did you use?
    Which hardware did you use to get the map file from the ECU?

What sort of ODB trouble shooting hardware would you recommend?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ODB-II

I also have a cheap code reader. For the most part, the data was not terribly useful to me. Like the error codes on the Canon iPF's, the errors often has absolutely nothing to do with the specific cause.

I remember diagnosing a vacuum issue on my 1974 Torino ... I was just standing there scratching my head (not that unusual ...), and smoking a cigar, and I blew the smoke into the engine compartment. Wasn't I surprised when the smoke found it's way straight of the side of the carburetor, where there was a loose hose!!?? Wouldn't it have been something if I had known that was the thing to do?
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=