Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Windows 10 Quick Assist

Windows 10 Quick Assist

Your new best friend should be this great free app from Microsoft called Quick Assist.

It allows two Windows 10 computers to easily connect so that one computer can control the other.

The person providing assistance needs to have an authentic Microsoft account that can be authenticated via text message PIN code before the remote session can be initiated.

The person with the other computer needs to be present in front of their computer to grant permission to the person providing assistance.

If the remote connection appears lagging on your screen, break the connection and re-establish a new one.

A quick Google search reveals that you can
    Remote Access your Mac from Windows 10 with VNC client.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts JLSam's Avatar

Re: Windows 10 Quick Assist

Good stuff!

I will definitely check it out. So far we are using the free version of ScreenConnect by ConnectWise Control.
    IT Management and MSP Software | ConnectWise
    The only downside is explaining less tech savvy how to type a code, how to download and how to click the executable file to run the program. A 30 second download becomes 15 minutes sometimes.

Lately, I've been experimenting with Google Remote Desktop.
    https://remotedesktop.google.com/support/
    My god it's the easiest creation of remote support I have EVER seen, and it's built in for both MAC and PC apps. Just click Generate Code, I type it in, and VIOLA!

I'm not sure if there is a limit, or if it will sense that it is being used for commercial use, but so far, I've had no issues, none.

My two cents.

Windows 10 Quick Assist

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    Your new best friend should be this great free app from Microsoft called Quick Assist.

It allows two Windows 10 computers to easily connect so that one computer can control the other.

The person providing assistance needs to have an authentic Microsoft account that can be authenticated via text message PIN code before the remote session can be initiated.

The person with the other computer needs to be present in front of their computer to grant permission to the person providing assistance.

If the remote connection appears lagging on your screen, break the connection and re-establish a new one.

A quick Google search reveals that you can
    Remote Access your Mac from Windows 10 with VNC client.
    Although I described Quick Assist as an app implying that you have to install something, it is already built into Windows 10 so there is nothing to install for either party.

It is easy to find. In the Search Bar, located in the bottom left corner of a Win 10 PC, type in "Q".

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Another quick shortcut for Quick Assist is Windows key + Ctrl + Q and that will open it up. I agree though fantastic built in app, I wasn't aware of the Mac functionality. I made a thread about it I think it was last year, and the only gripe people seemed to have with it is how you require a Microsoft account to provide assistance (although you don't need one to get assistance).

The only issue I have with it is that the mouse will jump on the assisted user's computer from time to time even if I'm not touching my mouse. Minor bug but can be frustrating, still definitely worth using.

Windows 10 Quick Assist

Depending on the level of IT support that a customer has, it is not uncommon that the ability to install 3rd party apps like TeamViewer, PC Anywhere, etc is blocked.

It is possible for an IT Manager to block Quick Assist but it is more effort to do. It is likely the IT Manager uses the same when they themselves provide remote assistance and likely will not bother to disable it once his task is completed.

Therefore, Quick Assist is probably almost always available.