The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Blue Screen of Death - Kyocera printers and new Windows update

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Blue Screen of Death - Kyocera printers and new Windows update

These are always hard ones to track down since it can be tough to tell if it's bad programming by Microsoft or the OEM.

I had a rash of blue screens awhile back on a bunch of customer machines that turned out to be related to a file for one of their custom applications that tried to access Windows system files much like a reported vulnerability. When MS released a patch for the issue, the software couldn't allocate the resources it needed and would throw a BSOD. All because a developer several years before had found a shortcut to managing memory in their application instead of actually working on a real solution to the issue.

I've even had instances where a dev had tried to code their application to look for specific versions of core Windows files. Then an update comes along and changes the version of a core dll and next thing, the application wouldn't even open and would give an error stating that the machine was infected or compromised. Spent three days doing security scans and rebuilding machines for potential mystery rootkits until someone discovered the hard-coded versioning in the application.

As much grief as we may throw to Microsoft for these things, it often comes down to a completely different source.

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

According to a few articles i've read, it's also affecting other Brands.

Kyocera, Ricoh, Dymo, Zebra, and others.

I'm downloading the update right now to my laptop to see if I can find an easy workaround until they get it fixed.

** Update: I read somewhere that changing the emulation to KPDL will work. Could be an easy temp solution. I haven't confirmed this working.
    Last edited by JVergin; 03-10-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yep calls are pouring in today. Had them all uninstall the update and all is good.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Just left a call with this exact problem.

Had my first one today, a 5521 that BSOD'd on the first print job. The TWAIN scan app also failed to find the scanner. Removed all drivers, I installed the KPDL drivers and the Network scanning tool, right back to business.

I would also like to add Microsoft to the list of companies that have been providing me with job security for almost 2 decades now. White Out corporation, the paper clip people, Bic pens (great for unjamming a fuser), and now Microsoft.

I heart felt thank you for all you do.

Just wanted to update this thread. Below you can find the resolution patches for Kyocera BSOD and the print preview issues across multiple devices. Basically, KB5000802 is resolved with KB5001649 & KB5001567. Details here:

Resolved issues in Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows Server, version 20H2 | Microsoft Docs

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

At this point any computer connecting to Windows updates or an up to date WSUS won't even pull those updates for download as the monthly security updates are cumulative for Windows 10/Server 2016/Server 2019. The April and May updates will have the updated fixes in them. It's much better than the old days when you may have to stop several updates from installing for a computer as getting up to date from a clean install could take hours to days depending on how out of date the computer was.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    At this point any computer connecting to Windows updates or an up to date WSUS won't even pull those updates for download as the monthly security updates are cumulative for Windows 10/Server 2016/Server 2019. The April and May updates will have the updated fixes in them. It's much better than the old days when you may have to stop several updates from installing for a computer as getting up to date from a clean install could take hours to days depending on how out of date the computer was.
    Tell me about it. Even new computers out of the box could take hours to finish updating.