Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: DNS problems what causes it to fail scan to email?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    He didn't mention whether or not the network was part of a domain so I assumed that we were talking about simple network environment If the customer is using a server and active directory, then he would point the copier's DNS back to the domain server. Otherwise, all DNS will be handled by the router. I should have asked. Thanks.
    Billy it's a matter of perception and personal experience. Most of us (100% me) we are interested but not dealing with large scale customers/software solutions/ITS often. It's just another level with guys like rthonpm and others I know.
    I'm really struggling sometimes to understand those engineers but have to live with that
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    DNS problems what causes it to fail scan to email?

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Billy it's a matter of perception and personal experience. Most of us (100% me) we are interested but not dealing with large scale customers/software solutions/ITS often. It's just another level with guys like rthonpm and others I know.
    I'm really struggling sometimes to understand those engineers but have to live with that

You're right that it is a matter of perception. Most of my clients aren't running a server and the OP didn't mention it, so I assumed they weren't running active directory. But he's right and has a valid point. I should have asked and not assumed. I'm cool with that...it keeps me on my toes.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You're right that it is a matter of perception. Most of my clients aren't running a server and the OP didn't mention it, so I assumed they weren't running active directory. But he's right and has a valid point. I should have asked and not assumed. I'm cool with that...it keeps me on my toes.
    Had it in both scenarios to be honest had one with a large network all connected with many servers probably and a small company in an office with a dozen pcs.

What causes it to not work? What was really strange with the small network is NSLOOKUP on a pc worked fine but at the copier with the same DNS it wouldn't connect. The larger network I guess was probably some crazy firewall issue as it was a public sector customer.

How do you guys explain it to your customers when you get this sort of problem?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    Had it in both scenarios to be honest had one with a large network all connected with many servers probably and a small company in an office with a dozen pcs.

What causes it to not work? What was really strange with the small network is NSLOOKUP on a pc worked fine but at the copier with the same DNS it wouldn't connect. The larger network I guess was probably some crazy firewall issue as it was a public sector customer.

How do you guys explain it to your customers when you get this sort of problem?

The purpose of NSLOOKUP in this case is to see if the IP address is being resolved to the hostname of the device or website. So, if I type in: NSLOOKUP gmail.com and it returns both the IP address and hostname, you should have no problem with DNS.

If it works sometimes but not others, I'd try changing the external DNS and replacing it with something else. What external DNS server are you using?