Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    DNS problems what causes it to fail scan to email?

Hi,

I seem to come across this on a weekly basis scan to email has stopped working change to IP of mail server and it works again.

I usually try doing a NSLOOKUP and check DNS server hasn't been changed. Seen two in the past week if you kept trying it would eventually get a resolution and scan but the frustration of doing that all the time..

If you can NSLOOKUP and DNS / gateway is fine what else can you do? Why does it work fine via pc but the copier has trouble?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: DNS problems what causes it to fail scan to email?

Have you added the dns server addresses to the copier. I'd generally set the first to the router/gateway or local dns server and the 2nd to 1.1.1.1 then you can use the fqdn for the smtp server.
    Are you using an smtp service or the customers mail service?

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Try doing a tracert to the email server. It will show how many hops it takes and the time between each. It may hold a clue.

Increase the timeout on the copier 180 if possible Kyocera default is 10.
    run a ipconfig /all to confirm current DNS settings

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    Hi,

I seem to come across this on a weekly basis scan to email has stopped working change to IP of mail server and it works again.

I usually try doing a NSLOOKUP and check DNS server hasn't been changed. Seen two in the past week if you kept trying it would eventually get a resolution and scan but the frustration of doing that all the time..

If you can NSLOOKUP and DNS / gateway is fine what else can you do? Why does it work fine via pc but the copier has trouble?

It isn't quite clear to me the problem that you describe. When you run NSLOOKUP, is the IP addressed resolved every time or does it fail on occasion? What outside DNS Server are you using? I use google - 8.8.8.8. Whatever you're using, you may try using a different one to see if it makes a difference.

Also, like Clint said, use the router's DNS address for your first DNS and google (or whatever) for your 2nd DNS setting.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    What outside DNS Server are you using? I use google - 8.8.8.8. Whatever you're using, you may try using a different one to see if it makes a difference.

Also, like Clint said, use the router's DNS address for your first DNS and google (or whatever) for your 2nd DNS setting.
    This is a very bad idea if a customer is using Active Directory or any kind of internal networking as the MFP will not be able to resolve any internal resources. It's best to always use the customer's DNS settings as they are on their workstations. For small customers with just a SOHO router or ISP provided modem/router you can use a secondary DNS server like 1.1.1.1.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Try doing a tracert to the email server. It will show how many hops it takes and the time between each. It may hold a clue.
    It's an office 365 mail box. If I put in the IP of the office 365 SMTP server it works every time that's why I think it has to be a DNS problem. One customer she had a pile of failed transmission reports had to try 20 times to scan one sheet but via IP it just works.

I didn't think to do a tracert to be honest. I don't think the timeout would of done anything it was instant disconnect as soon as they hit start would error out.

So you can use the router gateway IP as your DNS?

Also enter the WINS data same as DNS

If you enter the hard ipaddress and it works
    Yes it's a DNS issue
    Last edited by bsm2; 03-22-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    This is a very bad idea if a customer is using Active Directory or any kind of internal networking as the MFP will not be able to resolve any internal resources. It's best to always use the customer's DNS settings as they are on their workstations. For small customers with just a SOHO router or ISP provided modem/router you can use a secondary DNS server like 1.1.1.1.

He didn't mention whether or not the network was part of a domain so I assumed that we were talking about simple network environment If the customer is using a server and active directory, then he would point the copier's DNS back to the domain server. Otherwise, all DNS will be handled by the router. I should have asked. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishleg View Post
    It's an office 365 mail box. If I put in the IP of the office 365 SMTP server it works every time that's why I think it has to be a DNS problem. One customer she had a pile of failed transmission reports had to try 20 times to scan one sheet but via IP it just works.

I didn't think to do a tracert to be honest. I don't think the timeout would of done anything it was instant disconnect as soon as they hit start would error out.

So you can use the router gateway IP as your DNS?

I should have asked this from the beginning: Is your customer running active directory? Do they have a server?

If so, the name of all the PC's will be resolved in active directory. If not, everything will be resolved by the router.