Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vlans

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    vlans

Re: vlans

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    It's an old catalyst 3560g. I telnet into it. I must be missing a setting somewhere to get it to work. I may try it again this weekend. I can attempt to put my Konica Minolta on it's own vlan.

Are you using the Command Line Interface or the Setup Wizard?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    vlans

Command line. I don't think this has a setup wizard. I'll look at it again this weekend.

vlans

Command line. I don't think this has a setup wizard. I'll look at it again this weekend.

I'm not familar with this model but "I think" at the first prompt if you type 'YES" that it will take you to the Setup Wizard. However, I think you're better off going the Command Line route. I'm just starting to learn how to set up VLAN's on a Cisco switch and I was able to do it without much trouble. Are you experienced with Cisco?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    vlans

No. I'm a copier tech with light networking knowledge. I'll work with the command line and see where it leads. The older stuff can be a bit of challenge.

vlans

No. I'm a copier tech with light networking knowledge. I'll work with the command line and see where it leads. The older stuff can be a bit of challenge.

I think Cisco command line is all pretty much the same across their switches. Try this from the command line and in this order: (example only, your ports numbers are likely different but you'll get the idea.)

en
    config t
    vlan 10 (pick any number you want between 2-1001)
    name blue (pick the name you want.)
    vlan 20 (pick any number you want between 2-1001)
    name yellow (pick the name you want.)
    (hit control + c on your keyboard) This takes you back to global configuration mode.
    show vlan brief (this will show that vlan 10 & vlan 20 were created. Please note that even though the Vlans were created that there's no ports assigned YET.)
    config t
    int F0/01 (FO/01 is the first port on my switch. I could use any port if I wanted to.)
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 10

That's it. Port FO/01 is now assigned to VLAN 10. Just repeat the procedure to add ports to whatever VLAN you want.

NOTE: The Cisco switch is defaulted to VLAN 1 and all ports are assigned to VLAN 1. You can't delete VLAN 1. All you can do is assign the ports to a different VLAN after you create a new VLAN.

I hope that made some sense.

One more thing that will speed things up for you. Instead of adding one port at a time, you can add a "range" of ports to a vlan by using the following command: int range f0/10-15

Ports 10-15 are assigned to whatever VLAN you told it to configure. If that's confusing...just add one part at a time.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 03-30-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    vlans

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I think Cisco command line is all pretty much the same across their switches. Try this from the command line and in this order: (example only, your ports numbers are likely different but you'll get the idea.)

en
    config t
    vlan 10 (pick any number you want between 2-1001)
    name blue (pick the name you want.)
    vlan 20 (pick any number you want between 2-1001)
    name yellow (pick the name you want.)
    (hit control + c on your keyboard) This takes you back to global configuration mode.
    show vlan brief (this will show that vlan 10 & vlan 20 were created. Please note that even though the Vlans were created that there's no ports assigned YET.)
    config t
    int F0/01 (FO/01 is the first port on my switch. I could use any port if I wanted to.)
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 10

That's it. Port fa/01 is now assigned to VLAN 10. Just repeat the procedure to add ports to whatever VLAN you want.

NOTE: The Cisco router is defaulted to VLAN 1 and all ports are assigned to VLAN 1. You can't delete VLAN 1. All you can do is assign the ports to a different VLAN after you create a new VLAN.

I hope that made some sense.
    Thanks, I'll check it out this weekend.