Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Scan to Email via 365 - Now blocked

Hi Everybody

It seems all new 365 tenants are unable to scan to email. Microsoft must have placed an extra level of security before this can be used.

If I use my own long established 365 account it goes straight through.

But any one who has recently moved to 365 gets blocked even with no 2FA and password set to never expire.

Heads up anybody?

Thanks

Daren

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Scan to Email via 365 - Now blocked

Set up an SMTP2go.com to go account.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Technician

I found it myself

Login to 365 Tenant as admin
    Active Users
    Click on the active user you are saving in the MFD
    Choose MAIL
    Choose Manage Email Apps
    Tick SMTP Authentication
    Save

Give it a couple of minutes then scan!

Cheers

Daren

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There is a reason Microsoft are turning off legacy auth and smtp/pop/IMAP. You have just opened a large security hole in your clients mail service.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    There is a reason Microsoft are turning off legacy auth and smtp/pop/IMAP. You have just opened a large security hole in your clients mail service.

Does Billy Gates ever have a reason for half the shit he does?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post

Not necessarily. SMTP is still a valid method for sending email from embedded systems. IMAP and POP are still the only ways to connect many third-party mail clients (Thunderbird or any Linux mail client) to an M365 account. These are edge cases that most users don't need so the default has just been changed to turn them off.

Microsoft has already stated that SMTP will *not* be removed as an email method in their overall roadmap. Even the email reporting features in Windows Server use SMTP, and that includes the upcoming Server 2022.

The best practise is to have a dedicated Exchange account for anything that needs access to send email. It requires an M365 license, but only the basic license which gives Exchange and Office online which is $5 a month.

The bigger hole is using a third-party SMTP service which then removes the ability for admins to monitor what emails are being sent from corporate resources, or even what devices are configured to use a specific account. There are also a lot of DLP and legal discovery features that then get lost. This kind of setup can also lead to having a company device not sending from a true company email address and opening up the potential for phishing attacks as employees may see a malicious email from an outside address that they open thinking it's from an internal resource.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Not necessarily. SMTP is still a valid method for sending email from embedded systems. IMAP and POP are still the only ways to connect many third-party mail clients (Thunderbird or any Linux mail client) to an M365 account. These are edge cases that most users don't need so the default has just been changed to turn them off.

Microsoft has already stated that SMTP will *not* be removed as an email method in their overall roadmap. Even the email reporting features in Windows Server use SMTP, and that includes the upcoming Server 2022.

The best practise is to have a dedicated Exchange account for anything that needs access to send email. It requires an M365 license, but only the basic license which gives Exchange and Office online which is $5 a month.

The bigger hole is using a third-party SMTP service which then removes the ability for admins to monitor what emails are being sent from corporate resources, or even what devices are configured to use a specific account. There are also a lot of DLP and legal discovery features that then get lost. This kind of setup can also lead to having a company device not sending from a true company email address and opening up the potential for phishing attacks as employees may see a malicious email from an outside address that they open thinking it's from an internal resource.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    ... $5.00 per month per employee for a Business Basics package.

Microsoft 365 Business Basic

• Host email with a 50 GB mailbox and custom email domain address.
    • Create a hub for teamwork to connect your teams with Microsoft Teams.
    • Access web versions of Office apps: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (plus Access and Publisher for PC only).
    • Store and share files with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage per user.
    • Host online meetings and video conferencing for up to 300 users.
    • Get help anytime with around-the-clock phone and web support from Microsoft.

... hence the great migration by many SMBs to MS365. It is probably less money than they are spending now for better service, better security and better features.

I always probe during the sales process if the customer is a current MS365 subscriber. More than 50% of the time they are. Then I talk about OneDrive for Business, SharePoint and Exchange copier connectors to MS365.

Technician

Question Re: Scan to Email via 365 - Now blocked

[QUOTE=clint@clintsimonsen.com;1753550]There is a reason Microsoft are turning off legacy auth and smtp/pop/IMAP. You have just opened a large security hole in your clients mail service.

I wouldn't say so. Its encrypted, it's authenticated and it's just a regular user. Nobody logs into the account via OWA to accidentally click a phishing link, it's just a send account and with the 'Exchange Online Kiosk' licence its a cheap account.

Where's the LARGE hole?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post

I always probe during the sales process if the customer is a current MS365 subscriber. More than 50% of the time they are. Then I talk about OneDrive for Business, SharePoint and Exchange copier connectors to MS365.

Not me. Not during the sales process. Most business owners aren't tech savvy and I've found that introducing too much technical information during the sales process brings a look in their eyes of "how can I get rid of this guy as quickly as possible."

When I have trained sales people in the past, they would go into some diatribe about the technical specifications of the copier and they would lose the prospect in about 30-seconds. I prefer to deal with most of the technical issues after I make the sale. Besides, there's no money in selling something like Microsoft 365...they can get it without help from me at the same price.

With that being said, there's a time and place for everything and eventually that bridge will have to be crossed.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I prefer to deal with most of the technical issues after I make the sale.
    Which cuts both ways: nothing like making a sale only to find out that the customer has Macs that weren't onsite the day you were visiting, or the fact that the wrong type of outlet is available where they want the machine. For all of the technical prep, we use a 20 question site survey that we either complete when onsite, or have the customer complete and submit back to us. It's mainly multiple choice or check boxes and gives us a good idea of what we're walking into, or lets us know where we need to ask deeper questions. Granted, it's only taken a good fifteen years to refine our survey to account for most of the big picture items and to also

It always looks bad when the customer has to end up buying additional options or needs to call in additional resources after the sale.